Where to buy light novels?

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Light Novels?

Post by Mystes »

To cut the shipping, how about buying many novels at the same time?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Doraneko »

kira0802 wrote:To cut the shipping, how about buying many novels at the same time?
Yea that's a good idea. In fact I tend to buy in batches. Usually I get one batch every 2-3 months. But if I have plans to go to Japan, then I will hold my purchases for as long as half a year.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Are Japan's shipping expensive?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Personally, I use a mixed purchasing concept: every three to four months I order a whole batch, consisting of about 8-10 books, and pay about 5k yen for their delivery via EMS. And recently I have started purchasing two to three books every now and then via SAL, where I only have to pay about 200 Yen per book—little enough that it wouldn't hurt too much to lose the package underway. :D
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Somehow I have never tried EMS as I never had anything lost during delivery. :)

From time to time, I may pick up a book from one of the local Japanese book stores if I failed to resist temptations. Sometimes they also offer publisher gifts that are exclusive to book store consumers, such as calendar cards or catalogues, that slightly justify the high premium they charge (40-50% over the price shown on the books as delivery+service).

ImageImage
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Singapore has the best Kinokuniya outside of Japan. We get nearly every new release these days. The not so popular ones will come by sea shipment which will be 2 to 3 weeks after release date. It's definitely much cheaper than personal shipping.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

larethian wrote:Singapore has the best Kinokuniya outside of Japan. We get nearly every new release these days. The not so popular ones will come by sea shipment which will be 2 to 3 weeks after release date. It's definitely much cheaper than personal shipping.
I envy you. Your Kinokuniya must be ethical enough to charge reasonable prices then, instead of squeezing every penny out of its customers. For us, we also have Japanese book stores here but they charge a ridiculous premium, rendering them too expensive even when compared to personal shipping options.

For example, for a JPY600 (USD7.60) book, it is charged at an equivalent of JPY852 (USD10.80) here. That translates into a hefty 40% premium. As long as I buy in a batch of at least 5 bunko, I can get the same book delivered to my doorsteps in 4-5 days for JPY670 (USD8.48) i.e. 12% premium.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Doraneko wrote:
Try the smaller Japanese retailers that specialize in selling second-hand books. If you are lucky enough you may get it dirt cheap.

Last time I got an our-of-print series from a tiny book shop in Kansai which I found through google. There were a total of 8 books and I paid 1500 yen for that. Along with another 1000 yen to the proxy for handling and shipping to my home, it costed me 2500 yen, i.e. 312 yen per book. The books were as good as new when they reached my doorsteps. Not too bad I guess.

The downside is that the small retailers don't have sophisticated online shopping systems. You may need to negotiate with them by email and agree on the amount and method of payment.
That's why it's down to the old fashioned way...go there and get it from their hands...and our bags will be the duffel ones we use in the military...IE ultra effing BIG

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Cosmic Eagle wrote:That's why it's down to the old fashioned way...go there and get it from their hands...
Do you mean personally going to those stores? I guess you are either lucky enough to be living in Japan or have forgotten your flight and accommodation costs. :lol:
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

While we follow my friend to his house in Kyouto....after that...we plan to head north for fuyu-comi....

it's not like I do this everytime ....been planning and saving for 2 years now....

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

larethian wrote:Singapore has the best Kinokuniya outside of Japan. We get nearly every new release these days. The not so popular ones will come by sea shipment which will be 2 to 3 weeks after release date. It's definitely much cheaper than personal shipping.
Strangely though...Hidan no Aria has to be ordered in.....weird....

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Cosmic Eagle wrote:While we follow my friend to his house in Kyouto....after that...we plan to head north for fuyu-comi....

it's not like I do this everytime ....been planning and saving for 2 years now....

I see. So you are in Japan now and you are planning to stay till winter :shock: ! It is not even August now and that's pretty hardcore for a sightseeing trip. 8) :D
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

He could be leaving anytime now with nuclear winter having arrived. :roll: :|
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Doraneko wrote:
Cosmic Eagle wrote:While we follow my friend to his house in Kyouto....after that...we plan to head north for fuyu-comi....

I see. So you are in Japan now and you are planning to stay till winter :shock: ! It is not even August now and that's pretty hardcore for a sightseeing trip. 8) :D
I'm not...I'm in military service...my leave only starts year end. Only then will we go

Nuclear winter? Hah if I want nuclear winter I'd try a trip to freaking Sarov or Novaya Zemlya or Pripyat...

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Doraneko wrote:
I envy you. Your Kinokuniya must be ethical enough to charge reasonable prices then, instead of squeezing every penny out of its customers. For us, we also have Japanese book stores here but they charge a ridiculous premium, rendering them too expensive even when compared to personal shipping options.

For example, for a JPY600 (USD7.60) book, it is charged at an equivalent of JPY852 (USD10.80) here. That translates into a hefty 40% premium. As long as I buy in a batch of at least 5 bunko, I can get the same book delivered to my doorsteps in 4-5 days for JPY670 (USD8.48) i.e. 12% premium.
doraneko, HK is closer than Jpn so shipping is cheaper.
for SG, the inflated price is ~300 yen more. but it's still cheaper than all the shipping options I can find, by a few dollars at least. plus all the LNs I want come by air 3 days after release date in Japan. only some of the manga come by sea dammit.

Cosmic Eagle wrote:
Strangely though...Hidan no Aria has to be ordered in.....weird....
they have HnA now. but I'm referring to the new releases. all the new releases by the major bunkos come in.

Return to “Manga & Novel”