Light Novel Page Size and Font

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Shiratori
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Light Novel Page Size and Font

Post by Shiratori »

Can anyone please tell me what the standard page size is for a Light Novel ? I bet it's not A4... if you guys have some light novels with you, can you check it's size for me? (Please let me know if you're using milliliters or inches and if you're referring to a Japanese Light Novel or one that you bought from an American publisher)

Also, do you know what's the font used by American publishers on Light Novels?

Really need your help here.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Light Novel Page Size and Font

Post by larethian »

Shiratori wrote:Can anyone please tell me what the standard page size is for a Light Novel ? I bet it's not A4... if you guys have some light novels with you, can you check it's size for me? (Please let me know if you're using milliliters or inches and if you're referring to a Japanese Light Novel or one that you bought from an American publisher)

Also, do you know what's the font used by American publishers on Light Novels?

Really need your help here.
It's slightly smaller than A5. Some are ridiculously thick (like Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon) while there are those (of Kodansha Box) that are between A5 and A4 sizes and can't fit into your pocket.

You can actually check dimensions of each book on Amazon.

Eg.:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%81%AD%E3%81 ... 334VT0ED4P

商品パッケージの寸法: 14.8 x 10.5 x 2 cm <===
Shiratori
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shiratori »

Thank you.

I think I need to reformat my LN to use A5 pages. I need to change the font, probably to Garamond, size 10 and use proper margins. And I'll need to divide it in 6 or more volumes. Lots of work to do :roll:
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

They're actually exactly A6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunkobon) although I don't know about English releases. I believe our localized versions are a bit larger, so I guess A5 fits the bill.
Shiratori
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shiratori »

A6, so small :shock: If I want to keep it between 200~300 pages, I'll end up with dozens of volumes.

I don't know, been thinking, :? since it's digital, maybe for convenience I'll keep the A4 format in a single PDF. The readers may want to print it, so A4 would be easier for them.

Return to “Manga & Novel”