"DO READ" list

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

chrnno
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

"DO READ" list

Post by chrnno »

Well... We do have the other one...

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - A very good manga even if later on the plot actively tries to mindbreak you(and mostly succeeds)
xxxHolic - Not as good as TRS but interesting in its own way though it hasn't ended yet.

Sakura Card Captors - One of first manga i read(first to read entirely) mainly because i saw part of the anime and wanted to know the end, unfortunately my internet sucked too much for that so i got the manga...
Mx0 - A great manga except for the author ending it prematuraly(still no idea of why though) so a lot of things which would have been great to keep on were cut.

Hellsing - Not my prefered type of manga but good nonetheless.
Phantom Wizard - Good one though if you don't like close relations between siblings(twins in this case) you shouldn't read, it has an ending too open for my taste though.

Black Cat - Great manga, very previsible, the characters are very interesting.
Chrno Crusade - Would be one of the best mangas i have ever read except for the end, i really don't like that kind of ending...
Death Note - The first part was extremely good and thought out, the second left a lot to wish over. Recommend simply ignoring the second part when reading it.

Inuyasha - This was the manga that made me a lot more interested in mangas.
Mahou Sensei Negima - Definetely one of the best mangas i have ever read, the main character is simply one of my favorites of everything(anime/movies/manga/books/whatever else).

Well, i got lazy so i will just put the names of the rest that i remember:
Ichigo 100%, Chobits, Happy World, IO, Love Hina, To-Love-RU, Vampire Knight, Hunter x Hunter, Naruto, Bleach, Psychic Academy...

(I managed by returning or advancing into another page lose what i had written 3 times so i kinda gave up on writing too much... And yes i had written more about the mangas and there was even others i forgot...)
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Re: "DO READ" list

Post by ben1234 »

chrnno wrote:Well... We do have the other one...

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - A very good manga even if later on the plot actively tries to mindbreak you(and mostly succeeds)
xxxHolic - Not as good as TRS but interesting in its own way though it hasn't ended yet.

Sakura Card Captors - One of first manga i read(first to read entirely) mainly because i saw part of the anime and wanted to know the end, unfortunately my internet sucked too much for that so i got the manga...
Mx0 - A great manga except for the author ending it prematuraly(still no idea of why though) so a lot of things which would have been great to keep on were cut.

Hellsing - Not my prefered type of manga but good nonetheless.
Phantom Wizard - Good one though if you don't like close relations between siblings(twins in this case) you shouldn't read, it has an ending too open for my taste though.

Black Cat - Great manga, very previsible, the characters are very interesting.
Chrno Crusade - Would be one of the best mangas i have ever read except for the end, i really don't like that kind of ending...
Death Note - The first part was extremely good and thought out, the second left a lot to wish over. Recommend simply ignoring the second part when reading it.

Inuyasha - This was the manga that made me a lot more interested in mangas.
Mahou Sensei Negima - Definetely one of the best mangas i have ever read, the main character is simply one of my favorites of everything(anime/movies/manga/books/whatever else).

Well, i got lazy so i will just put the names of the rest that i remember:
Ichigo 100%, Chobits, Happy World, IO, Love Hina, To-Love-RU, Vampire Knight, Hunter x Hunter, Naruto, Bleach, Psychic Academy...

(I managed by returning or advancing into another page lose what i had written 3 times so i kinda gave up on writing too much... And yes i had written more about the mangas and there was even others i forgot...)
The bolded ones are the ones that I wouldn't recommend touching even with a 50-foot pole.

The rest are either readable, or an obvious waste of time if I even tried to bold them
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Odd that, you didnt bold any of the ones i was 100% the first person to post was going to say i was insane for putting those in a reading list...

The only bolded one that surprised me was Inuyasha didn't expect anyone to say anything bad about it. Maybe its because of all those fan girls i know, seriously its freaking annoying when someone says she/he likes manga then when you ask the person says ONE manga he read, i mean come on its like saying i like books or movies while having read/watched only one.

Also at least post ones you recommend...
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

My sig is a link to my manga list for a reason

Just assume that I enjoyed everything with a rating higher than 7.5

:roll:
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Inuyasha was bad, reason being it dragged too freakin long, and the ending portion was mere repetitions.

Bleach sux, because it is what i call a modern day dragon ball.
Naruto was bad, because it pulled a "this is all fate that they fight".
Tsubasa Reservoir was bad, too messy, and they are just selling their characters.
xxxHolic is slightly better, if you can understand whats going on.
Card captor Sakura is not too bad, though I personally prefer the anime.
Mx0, is good, and as you mentioned, sad that it ended too early.
Hellsing was wacky, not a good choice for most, but its good if you can bear with the insanity within it. Its quite good in my opinion.
Never tried phantom wizard, so i wont say anything about this one.
Chrno Crusade was good, I enjoyed it, as well as the anime. But personally prefers the anime a bit more.
Deathnote was a godly work, definitely
Black cat was good.
Mahou sensei Negima is quite good, but I didn't like how he looked like super saiya after he uses 2 lightning spells on himself.
Chobits is really good. Ichigo 100% has an ending different from most mangas, and was quite commented for it. Happy world and IO I didnt read them. Love Hina isnt that good imo, a bit too random. To-Love-Ru is not a good manga, based on plot and story. Never tried vampire knight. Hunter X Hunter seems like the author is changing his style of drawing and plot telling, so I cant be sure, never tried psychic academy either.

As for my own list...

Mahoraba is good for light hearted and touching story, not the most touching but good.
A few discontinued series...
Hibiki's Magic, a good story written by KEY, and was touching, even though it only lasted two volumes(Wish they continued)
Aventura, four volume and probably discontinued as well, story about magic, but some ideas inside are good, with fantastic drawings.
Needless is quite good too, in my opinion.
Letterbee, tegamibachi, the recent anime is based on it, too bad the anime is having too many fillers.
For harem, i prefer Airantou and Hayate above all.
Onepiece, a good manga, definitely.

Might have some others in my head somewhere, will post if they ever pop out
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Well ben you could have said that before... And I had forgotten Vampire Juujikai, it is a great manga.

I do agree Inuyasha dragged more than it should but i don't think it was that bad, maybe because it was one of the animes i used to watch when i was a lot younger it along with DBZ, Saint Seiya, Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho and a few others that Cartoon Network had were what made me get interested in animes in the first place.

Bleach and Naruto aren't bad as long you aren't there for a storyline, i read them both because they have good art and great fights.

One piece is a manga i was thinking about reading but the summary is just so stupid... I suppose it doesn't helps i find most manga summaries stupid, i mean even the mangas i read and enjoyed i can say i would probably not have read it if i saw the summary. I should probably stop reading the summary before reading a manga...
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

I recommend:

The World only God Knows: Very interesting way to get girls using gaming tactics.
Akumetsu: Great drawing, great plot and alot of wordy subject to teach on the corruption in politics of Japan.
Our Dear Tamura-Kun: A great manga adaptation of a light novel created by Toradora's author.
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun: A great side story and action from the Index series focusing on Mikoto. It shows what happen after the Level Upper that the anime isn't showing.
Onani Master Kurosawa: An unexpected piece of redemption about a high schooler who does his "thing" in the girl's bathroom.
Hallucination: A collection of short stories about a apocalyptic city. Is very unique story-telling i recommend.
Black God: One of my favorite korean manga about "doppelgangers."

baka baka baka
ShadowZeroHeart

@chrnno: you seem to be going for artwork, rather than stories then? Most of those you listed had good artwork, at least compared to many other mangas, but its not the best out there. Most of what we listed are based on story I believe.

Summaries are one thing, they sort of reflect the story, but it isnt everything. A good story need not be based on new stuff, but how you bring them out. Onepiece's art isnt that cool, but when it needs to be, it is serious and good, but most of the time, there is great comedy in them. Oh, and regarding good mangas, recently I tend to get hooked on 4-square japanese mangas, and lucky star dont seem that good in my opinion(after I am exposed to these new ones). Here are some of them:

Working Hard(A manga about a family restaurant with unique employees)
Aitama(About a girl who went to idol school)
Work Hard! Mr. Nioka (A manga about a guy who hates kids becoming a teacher, in hopes of eliminating them, only to find he went to a school of weirdos(himself included))
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Its not like i go for artwork(I enjoy Hunter x Hunter for example and i just noticed i forgot to put it in the list...) i just listened the ones off the top of my mind.

But you raise an interesting point, i normally use popularity to select the next manga to read and if most i read recently are artwork rather than story line then that says a lot about manga popularity...

I will give a try to One Piece, it can't be worse than the dubbing of the anime here... Seriously anime these days in Brazil are really annoying me. One that i annoyed me the most was Naruto where the dub made Naruto look like a 9 year old.

Hey b0mb3r i began reading Onani Master Kurosawa half an hour ago or so and found it pretty interesting.

Anyway i just checked the list of those mangas that I read and are published regularly and found a few i had forgotten.

Hunter X Hunter - Its a great manga shame the author keeps having such long hiatus...
Ah My Goddess - Interesting story about a man who wishes that a Goddess is always with him.
Rosario + Vampire - A funny harem story, though not much good plot wise.
Fairy Tail - One of the few mangas i actually liked the summary so i am just linking to it.
Girls Saurus - A boy gets confession from a girl(more a monster really) and rejects her. She proceeds to almost kill him, making him from there on fear girls. Off course soon after he starts forming his harem while still fearing womans, pretty hilarious.
Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi - Well, i can't think of a good summary but it's a very good story.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Here's an example of artwork but POOR STORY. look at Airgear. Such a great premise that just got too blown up by its own story and trying to stay realistic with all the physics reference. I only read it for the ART!

baka baka baka
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

You already mentioned HxH

AMG! is what Pastel is slowly becoming - all side characters and no development in anything

R+V got really bad sometime after the anime started. It's like the plot isn't even there anymore

Fairy Tail is probably one of the most overrated series out there. There's virtually no plot and the characters are generic, if not bland

I don't even need to start reading a page of Girls Saurus to give it a generic harem title

Kenichi is another one of those overrated series that should have ended ages ago but didn't because the magazine is desperate for money

I'm still amazed that I even bothered to catch up on Air Gear...
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Air Gear is ranked 9 in OM popularity... Well, thats just further evidence.

AMG is a series that started pretty well though now it isn't so good, i still think it's worth reading though.

Fairy Tail really has a problem with plot though i don't think it's that bad and i actually like a few characters though there are a lot that are simply ignored. It brings nothing new but i do find it enjoyable.

Girls Saurus is really more comedy than harem, it's worth reading because of that. I do agree that it is a bit generic.

I disagree about Kenichi, even though it has decreased in quality it's still far better than most manga out there.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

It's not hard for something to rank high on those online viewing sites because most kiddies only care about the Big 3 and anything with panties and Obama

Now let's see... something from my list...
  • Bakuman
    It not only shows the reader how manga is normally produced, but it's does throw some good jabs at modern shounen manga (See JP's review/analysis)
  • Break Blade
    It starts out very similar to Gundam Seed and it does have a pretty generic setting. It does have interesting character relationships though. There's also a 6-part movie coming out too
  • Sket Dance
    One of the most underrated series currently in Jump. It can be hilariously funny yet the character backgrounds can be so dramatic that it's almost scary
ShadowZeroHeart

AMG! is going too slowly, but its unique in its own way, quite a good read.

R+V is typical harem, but has some fancy artwork here and there.

Fairy tail is off my list, i believe. The story isnt that good, the characters reminds me of RAVE, which was a terrible experience for me.

Kenichi is doing so-so, rather interesting, I dont mind it.

Air Gear, story was not too bad at first, but then it became all about fighting... Hey, isnt that like totally OFF the idea of Air-gear? Reading the first few volumes would never have prepared you for the latest few.

Bakuman is quite well-done, cant wait to see how it turns out.

Girl Saurus has two parts if I am right. Girl Saurus and Girl Saurus DX. Yes it is harem, but its funny, because despite how he tries to get away from girls, the girls keep pestering him, and he is trying to hide the fact that he has a fear of females. Has quite a good ending as well. Good for a short fun read.

Only read one volume of Break Blade, wasnt too bad, but isnt really looking out for it, so I wont comment further.

Sket Dance, isnt that special in my opinion. Its about random school life? Kinda reminds me of Gintama in school, wait, that seems to overrate it... Quite bland and stuff in my opinion.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I think Mx0 author was cut from the magazine, so she had to finish it off quickly. It's too bad, I really liked it.
I hated Hellsing, but that might be because I watch the anime first...it made sense compared to the manga.
I would only suggest the first half of DeathNote, don't read beyond the time skip.

My suggestion...Berserk I guess. It's got amazing art, and a long and epic storyline. Women are shown in a bad light a LOT. Tons of nudity and rape. Pretty grotesque fighting. Not for the faint of heart for sure.

Return to “Manga & Novel”