Novel Review: Neko Sis

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Novel Review: Neko Sis

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Added(or Adding) a post on the blog for this series as well...

Well, this is ShadowZeroHeart reporting on a new novel I just read. (Just finished reading moments ago)

I believe you guys would have seen that B-T has some information about a novel called

Ore no Imōto ga Konna n(My little sister can't be this cute)

The reason I am mentioning this title is because, this novel, Neko Sis, is in fact, the original draft that he came up with! It is a story written by the same author and the very same illustrator as well!

Title: Neko Sis (Will try to get the Japanese title. The chinese title is 貓娘姊妹)

Author: Tsukasa Fushimi

Illustrator: Hiro Kanzaki

Synopsis: Cat spirits(demons, actually, but spirits sound cuter) after ten years, would be able to learn a certain skill that they desire. Three cat spirits, sisters in fact, chose their skill to be "Human Transformation". With the choice they made, they would then have to abandon their cat habits. Even though they are able to turn back into cats, they are unable to maintain it for a long period of time. Yet even though they have learnt "Human Transformation", they are still most relaxed in human form with cat ears and tail popping out(Author's personal preference?). And this story depicts mainly of the three sisters and their encounters in the human world. The first volume talks mostly of the newest "human" member of the trio, 美緒(Bi-o?) and her experiences during her first week, her trial period as a human.

Here is a short description regarding the 3 main sisters:

千夜子 Chiyako

For readers of "my sister", you will probably find her very similar to a certain black cat in the story. For non-readers, do not worry, the stories do not seem linked in any way. Chiyako is the second in line of the family of four, the eldest is a different type of cat spirit, and is considered different from the other three sisters. Chiyako is a cool, calm black cat, which likes to bully others, yet at the same time, her love for her family can be seen very easily. She is a heavy otaku, with a love for 18x games and some guy x guy stories. Reason for her wanting to be a human? "Because cat palms aren't good to play games with." What more can I say?

小鈴 Suzu-chan

The youngest cat, forth in line of the family. However, she is the second eldest "human" in the family of three, which is why I am introducing her first. Suzu-chan is a tri-colored cat that dotes on her sister. She is like the mother of the group, and does the cooking. She is highly reliable and is very lively. Even though she is actually younger in age, she treats her elder sister, Bi-o, as her younger sister in many ways. Reason for wanting to be a human: "Because I love humans, and I hope that humans, cats can all get along someday!"

美緒 Bi-o

The second youngest cat, yet the youngest "human". Bi-o failed at previous attempts to learn "Human Transformation", thus despite her being older than Suzu-chan, she has less "human" experiences, and had to be taught and taken care of by Suzu-chan instead. She has adored her sisters and their human experiences, thus despite her failures, she continued to work hard to try learning "Human Transformation". She finally succeeded in her fifth and final attempt, and thus is given a trial period to see if she still wants to retain her human form after 7 days. Should she wish to give up on her human form, she would have to give up on all her human memories as well...

Personal Comments:

The story gives a warm feeling to the readers. There is some inappropriate illustrations in there which you may want to keep out of the eyes of anyone close by, but the content is (relatively) safe and good. The story goes about how differently things are for a cat to start seeing the world in the eyes of a human, and then goes to talk about how humans are like. You can feel a hint of naive-ness in the story, but with this kind of story telling and illustrations, you can be sure of "And so they live happily ever after" kind of ending(probably). It is a relaxing read, with a rather unique viewpoint of a few cats making some blunders here and there. The illustrations and some actions in the story are cute. The moe-ness of the story can easily be seen. The story is touching in a cute and relaxing way. Do not expect heavy storylines or emotions, but it can probably lighten you up. This is quite a good read!
And heres a EVIL SPOILER!! From chapter 2, the black cat, like the one in "My sister can't be this cute", gets heart broken as a guy that she is, or rather, wants to go out with rejects her, in the most unexpected manner possible...

zzz, wanted to type extract, but its too long(about 3~4pages, and this is my laptop), so heres a summary of what happened.
Spoiler! :
Chiyako brings boy home, Bi-o and Suzu-chan depends to peek in on them, together with a cat.

Chiyako shows him her latest work, a doujin, an ero one.

Boy seems shocked.

Boy questions, why is it that in the manga, the couple are both guys, Chiyako simply replies that its her preference.

Boy reluctantly accepts, then queries if one of the guy characters look like himself, Chiyako simply replies that that is because she used him as a model for it.

Boy finds it hard to accept, since its the first day that they are actually going out, so asks Chiyako why she is showing him all these.

Chiyako just replies that because she wanted him to know her, and her hobbies and such.

Boy then forces himself to accept this fact, and says he will try hard to accept all these. Chiyako gives him 40 points(probably out of 100).

Chiyako then tells him that this is not everything yet, and intends to show him everything... and then shows him a whip...

Boy runs off.

Chiyako feels depressed, as she just got dumped... Even though what she did is a little too much... She still got dumped... Heart-broken...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Novel Review: Neko Sis

Post by Darklor »

Pffft - if it is like that its full understandable :P
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Darklor wrote:Pffft - if it is like that its full understandable :P
What is fully understandable? @@

Though i kinda pity that person...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

That she is dumped...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Tsk tsk, whips on the fifth date, COME ON!

Return to “Manga & Novel”