How do you read your novels ?

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

carj
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: How do you read your novels ?

Post by carj »

^ that there's a "new electronic device" doesn't mean that u should change it right away u can use the one u have until it dies or u really wanna change it, and since u can adjust the light isn't that offensive, but i think kindle+surrounding light is worse, never tried it but i've seen a kindle so kinda can guess
Krikit wrote:Paper has it's uses, and I think it will maintain control of the market. Why? Because who wants to stop reading on the sixteen hour flight because their battery goes out? But, ask yourself, for your book report on modern history, which helps more? A library or the Internet? I think given time, whether kindle dies or not, it will be much more convenient to read books via an electronic device. EPub or PDF aside.

Also, there is believe it or not, less stress on the eyes because there is no worry about surrounding lighting conditions. Give it time and a bit of effort i think many people will start reading via an electronic device.
n yea i agree w/ you, paper is definitely better if u know ur battery will die and u cant recharge it, and it also have other uses (a lot actually), about the eyes....well i dont know but i think both methods (electronic or paper) have it downsides

im not against paper at all but since i know myself pretty well im sure i will not take care of the books as u should, because of that im not a paper fan, so it mainly depends on everyone xP
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

^ The Paper Gods are either crying or gonna send their R.O.D. angels after ya!

baka baka baka
lazyfulness
Astral Realm

Post by lazyfulness »

I use the stanza app on my ipod touch.
I don't mind the small screen, since it is easier to change pages than using a real book, I don't mind making the font bigger.
Only problem I have is glare.. can't read in the sun really with a ipod.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

lazyfulness wrote:I use the stanza app on my ipod touch.
I don't mind the small screen, since it is easier to change pages than using a real book, I don't mind making the font bigger.
Only problem I have is glare.. can't read in the sun really with a ipod.
Why not GoodReader?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
lazyfulness
Astral Realm

Post by lazyfulness »

Idk, never tried goodreader.
and Stanza lets me download books from a catalog easily
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Call me old-fashioned, I much prefer to lay my eyes on paper, I must be getting old, as reading walls of texts on a screen for prolonged periods just makes my eyes dry and sore.

I generally purchase the official Taiwanese version translated novels. As a matter of principle of supporting the author, even when there's an online fan-translation available before the official paperback gets released, I would stubbornly resist myself from reading that first.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Call me old-fashioned, I much prefer to lay my eyes on paper, I must be getting old, as reading walls of texts on a screen for prolonged periods just makes my eyes dry and sore.

I generally purchase the official Taiwanese version translated novels. As a matter of principle of supporting the author, even when there's an online fan-translation available before the official paperback gets released, I would stubbornly resist myself from reading that first.
Living on the other side of the world doesn't let me do that.
Kira0802

Fantastic Colors
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Fantastic Colors »

I love reading stuff on paper, I really do. Even if already have a Kindle (which has a screen that really do look like paper, seriously) I will always prefer paper, no matter what.

And I wouldn't mind printing everything, even if I have to use ink and paper. But, I don't. Why? Because printers are evil machines created with the sole purpose of making my (and maybe your) life miserable. Whenever I turn that thing on, something bad is bound to happen. Sometimes it simply doesn't work. Others, it will work fine and midway through it will stop working for no apparent reason. And that's already my fifth printer. So, this is how I ended up with a Kindle, because for some reason printers hate me.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

^ I still prefer paper over kindle but yeah the printer I used to have was evil to me. Turns off at the worst possible moments when I need to print my papers.

baka baka baka
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

b0mb3r wrote:^ I still prefer paper over kindle but yeah the printer I used to have was evil to me. Turns off at the worst possible moments when I need to print my papers.
Same here.
Kira0802

Astounding Bison
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Astounding Bison »

I read the actual books, lol.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Astounding Bison wrote:I read the actual books, lol.
One plus for YOU!

baka baka baka
kimoota
Astral Realm

Post by kimoota »

Astounding Bison wrote:I read the actual books, lol.
This. Though I'd rather read ebooks on my Kindle if they were available...

As for the covers...I proudly read my novels with loli panties covers in public. :P
Astounding Bison
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Astounding Bison »

I always remove the dust jackets when reading them so they don't get bent out of shape and covered in fingerprints.
swy999
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by swy999 »

I used to print them. But now i bought a 7 inch e book reader and its easier, but if you don't want to spend money on one then (if you own one) use a laptop... it's easier to read because you can get into a comfortable position (e.g. lay on the bed) and you can easily change the brightness so your eyes won't hurt if you read a lot . Hope I managed to help you. :D
Hy there... How are you?

Return to “Manga & Novel”