D.Gray-Man/FMA

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

D.Gray-Man/FMA

Post by Mystes »

I loved FMA, but I think I'm starting to love D.Gray-Man even more. Your thoughts?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: D.Gray-Man/FMA

Post by b0mb3r »

What kind of question are you asking? Whether D-Gray Man is better than FMA or which to read/watch first?

baka baka baka
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

D-Gray Man used to be an upper tier manga but got weak after it switched from weekly publication to monthly publication. one major problem with the art is that it has empty backgrounds and some panels are hard to understand. the pacing also became ultra fast for me that I don't know what the hell is going on. however the recent arc is starting to improve again.

FMA is still better than D-Gray Man especially since it has ended properly with an appropriate ending.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

larethian wrote:D-Gray Man used to be an upper tier manga but got weak after it switched from weekly publication to monthly publication. one major problem with the art is that it has empty backgrounds and some panels are hard to understand. the pacing also became ultra fast for me that I don't know what the hell is going on. however the recent arc is starting to improve again.

FMA is still better than D-Gray Man especially since it has ended properly with an appropriate ending.
As you said, D-Gray Man lost its touch with its random updates, so much so, we can hardly see any progress of it. Story wise, D-Gray Man may be better, but personally I would say FMA is better overall. D-Gray Man despite its coolness and plots, its too shounen, whereas FMA is more closely related to reality. The easiest way to see this difference is how D-Gray Man has the devils level up level by level, and how once a devil of a certain level appears, they start appearing in bulks, as if mass production is suddenly available.

Both deals with emotions, one deals with the pains of war, the pains of loss. But FMA not only covers that, but also the pains of one's helplessness, just as how we humans really are, unlike in D-Gray Man, where they are "Chosen", given the power to change the world. FMA moves on on solid grounds, but D-Gray Man moves on in a fantasy region. So I would give FMA way higher ratings though both are good to read.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

b0mb3r wrote:What kind of question are you asking? Whether D-Gray Man is better than FMA or which to read/watch first?
Just discuss on it.

Personally, I like D.Gray-man more than FMA. I have seen pretty much where the ending is heading after 60-70 chapters. Though with D.G-M, I have no idea what's going to happen at the end and it makes it more interesting to me. Also, I rather love that fantasy part. For FMA, you can make some links between countries and characters or such. However, with D.G-M, except Edo, there aren't any specific place you can't think about.
Kira0802

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

kira0802 wrote:
b0mb3r wrote:What kind of question are you asking? Whether D-Gray Man is better than FMA or which to read/watch first?
Just discuss on it.

Personally, I like D.Gray-man more than FMA. I have seen pretty much where the ending is heading after 60-70 chapters. Though with D.G-M, I have no idea what's going to happen at the end and it makes it more interesting to me. Also, I rather love that fantasy part. For FMA, you can make some links between countries and characters or such. However, with D.G-M, except Edo, there aren't any specific place you can't think about.
one problem is that Hoshino may not be clear on how to end it yet; from what I know, her health was affected through running a weekly serialization, that's why the editorial department switched her out of the more competitive Shounen Jump to the monthly Jump SQ. are you past the Level 4 Akuma arc? clearly the quality sucks in the arc after that. and the pacing was very off.

on the other hand, having something that ended satisfactory and happily with loose ends tied up for all the characters like FMA is good. as for D.Gray-Man, I'm worrying that Hoshino cannot deliver. but fortunately the latest arc is getting good again, we get to know more about Allen's past with Marian Cross, and Allen's struggle with getting erased by the fourteenth's existence. the fight for his own identity will surely be good stuff. regarding seeing the ending, I can see that Allen. in the end, saves the humans, the noahs, and the akumas as well; he seems to be standing in a neutral position and wants to save everything. it's the execution and plot holes I worry about though. I still want to complain about the plain and lacking backgrounds; Hoshino needs some good assistants...
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I'm just after the meeting with Croos Marian for th first time. I actually wanted to read this months ago, but my Chinese novels and LNs were meant to be read. :lol:
Kira0802

Return to “Manga & Novel”