Novels-concerned news

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Novels-concerned news

Post by Doraneko »

Naeko wrote:Do the Japanese have a tradition of using ghost writers or uncredited co-writers as do american books?
AFAIK not really. However Kamachi is kind of suspicious as he never appeared in the public and no one (except his editor) ever knows what "he" looks like. "He" could as well be a team like Clamp.

Anyhow "he" is famous for extremely fast in writing though. When you see a certain volume being published, usually scripts for two volumes ahead are already ready. The current "slow" pace of release is more of an issue of illustrators and editors failing to catch up. If more resources in that regard are provided "his" release circle can certainly be quickened without much problem.

Here is a list of the top-selling writers in Japan. Kamachi is the 5th, and the only one without a portrait. Btw the only other LN writer in the list is Hiro Arikawa (Library Wars, the SDF trilogy, etc) at the 10th.
Spoiler! :
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Not exactly "novel-concerned," but it comes close enough.

Manga vs. Books.

Thoughts and feelings?
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

Doraneko wrote:Light novels: As long as enough copies are printed, 初動 in the first week accounts for a great majority of sales. Sales after the first month are negligible unless there are new pushes such as anime adaptation.
I wonder if there is a chicken vs egg aspect to the sales disappearing after a month or so. If most major booksellers take an issue off the main racks in order to make room for new titles, then that could very well affect sales. If the typical regular restock period is one month and after that the bookseller switches to occasional restocks of 5 to 10 book re-orders, then even if the book sells out, it can never go above the bookseller's reorder rate cap for past issues of 5 to 10 books per time period. At some point in time, the bookseller will even stop ordering more restock. This enforced stocking method could very well contribute to low sales if there was not a big initial advertising push to make use of the time period in which booksellers would restock in large quantity.
Rednal
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by Rednal »

*Sips tea*

So, I was at Sakura-Con in Seattle, USA today, and I attended a Q&A panel with Gen Urobuchi (writer, Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero), Atsuhiro Iwakami (producer, Madoka Magica anime, Kara no Kyoukai, other Aniplex stuff), and Katsushi Ota (editor and Vice President, Kodansha novel publishing division). A question came up about Light Novels being available in English more, and according to Ota, they'd visited an American bookstore (Barnes & Noble, to be exact), and were highly impressed by its size and selection. To the point that, apparently, they're seriously rethinking their position about publishing Light Novels in America (they were quite happy about the question coming up, and I don't think the excessive applause when they said all this hurt our chances any). Also, Urobuchi didn't really want Fate/Zero translated because Fate/Stay Night has no official translation (he wanted the original work first), but now he's open to the idea of Fate/Zero coming over as a way to try and make Fate/Stay Night available as well.

In other words, there's a realistic possibility that more Light Novels may be translated into English officially sometime in the near-ish future. o wo They seem to think there's a market after all.
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator

Post by stellarroze »

Rednal wrote:*Sips tea*

So, I was at Sakura-Con in Seattle, USA today, and I attended a Q&A panel with Gen Urobuchi (writer, Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero), Atsuhiro Iwakami (producer, Madoka Magica anime, Kara no Kyoukai, other Aniplex stuff), and Katsushi Ota (editor and Vice President, Kodansha novel publishing division). A question came up about Light Novels being available in English more, and according to Ota, they'd visited an American bookstore (Barnes & Noble, to be exact), and were highly impressed by its size and selection. To the point that, apparently, they're seriously rethinking their position about publishing Light Novels in America (they were quite happy about the question coming up, and I don't think the excessive applause when they said all this hurt our chances any). Also, Urobuchi didn't really want Fate/Zero translated because Fate/Stay Night has no official translation (he wanted the original work first), but now he's open to the idea of Fate/Zero coming over as a way to try and make Fate/Stay Night available as well.

In other words, there's a realistic possibility that more Light Novels may be translated into English officially sometime in the near-ish future. o wo They seem to think there's a market after all.
That's awesome!

Also Shaft is going to animate all the Monogatari Series. - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=423269
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Rednal wrote:*Sips tea*

Only in America? Well, can I join as a translator if they do hire people :mrgreen: ?

Anyway, it's good that they have an interest (or so they said), but the publishers have to know that due to the difference in cultures between Japan and NA, they aren't going to get much profit from sales (even when looking at Haruhi by Yen Press, which was a moderate hit). It would be like selling Harry Potter in other languages, except these aren't going to earn as much money. If they do continue on with trying to sell translated LN in NA, I'm fine with it (though this website will most likely shut down if most of the titles are taken), but we have to understand that they will have to test the market here first (Yen Press did a good job as compared to the other companies. Viz Media? Tokyopop? Hmm...) before they actually start on this. I'll say (in a very optimistic manner), it'll take at least another 3 years before they actually start on this seriously if they even start at all.
stellarroze wrote:Also Shaft is going to animate all the Monogatari Series. - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=423269
This is basically SHAFT's answer to Shana lol...give another 5 years.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Anyone knows what's the novel here? Looks familiar, but...
GA.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Kunagisa
Astral Realm

Post by Kunagisa »

Kira0802 wrote:Anyone knows what's the novel here? Looks familiar, but...
Doesn't exist, it's only a promo poster for the contest. According to the lower left the artist is Miyama-Zero, maybe that's why you find it familiar.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

After glancing a second time, it really look like Miyama-Zero's art, so that's not surprising.
Then, I'm quite sure the novel in the hand is Oda Nobuna no Yaboû, also illustrated by him.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Misogi wrote:After glancing a second time, it really look like Miyama-Zero's art, so that's not surprising.
Then, I'm quite sure the novel in the hand is Oda Nobuna no Yaboû, also illustrated by him.
Though it'd be surprising if it were to be Oda Nobuna no Yabou, since the action is like, a few centuries earlier.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Kira0802 wrote:
Misogi wrote:After glancing a second time, it really look like Miyama-Zero's art, so that's not surprising.
Though it'd be surprising if it were to be Oda Nobuna no Yabou, since the action is like, a few centuries earlier.
Actually, I was talking about the novel in the left girl's hand. The cover is familiar, so...
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Yeah, it looks like exactly the picture on BT.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

The LNs of Another, DanMachi and Index are licensed by Yen Press.
----

Return to “Manga & Novel”