Novels-concerned news

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Novels-concerned news

Post by Mystes »

Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Novels-concerned news

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

And I just only got to reading the vol 3, episode zero regarding Shinobu's encounter with the protagonist... An ending where no1 is happy... Sad, but perhaps for the best...?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Kizumono? Well, there'S still volumes left.
Kira0802

ShadowZeroHeart

I am, waiting for the Chinese versions that is... I can't read Japanese... Sigh...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

shadow, it's worth the investment in time to learn. even if it takes a few years, the number of novels you can read is very much worth it :D
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

@Shadow

Given your solid background in Chinese and English, I am sure you won't even need a few years to achieve sufficient reading fluency for understanding Japanese novels. Knowledge of kanji phrases and English words is a huge plus if you only concern about reading.

If you spend some time everyday learning the grammar and vocabulary and maintain your focus on brushing up your reading skills, it is reasonable to expect that in one year you will be able to sail through at least the simpler novels, such as the MF Bunko works, with not much difficulty.

If it takes more than one year for the localization of your favourite titles to be released, it makes perfect sense to learn the language asap instead of waiting forever. Moreover, as Lare pointed out, you will have the chance to choose from a much, much greater selection for your reading pleasure, including the less mainstream but nevertheless outstanding works that will never be brought across the ocean.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
kuroi_shinigami
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

Everyone seems to forget to mention the downside of being able to read in the original work in Japanese, wasting a lot of money to buy the original novel from reading some cool review only for your novel be put on the "not yet read" stacks of novel due to having no time to read. Just ask lare about it :lol: Not sure if doraneko-senpai and eusth-senpai has the same problem or not :lol:
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
ShadowZeroHeart

kuroi_shinigami wrote:Everyone seems to forget to mention the downside of being able to read in the original work in Japanese, wasting a lot of money to buy the original novel from reading some cool review only for your novel be put on the "not yet read" stacks of novel due to having no time to read. Just ask lare about it :lol: Not sure if doraneko-senpai and eusth-senpai has the same problem or not :lol:
Sorry... I do have Chinese novels that I put on the "not yet read" piles... most of it is because it is too good that I would like to delicate special periods of time for it, but fails to find the mood and time, others being too hard for me to continue...

That aside, the idea of learning Japanese do cross my mind, but the time needed... hmm...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

kuroi_shinigami wrote:Everyone seems to forget to mention the downside of being able to read in the original work in Japanese, wasting a lot of money to buy the original novel from reading some cool review only for your novel be put on the "not yet read" stacks of novel due to having no time to read. Just ask lare about it :lol: Not sure if doraneko-senpai and eusth-senpai has the same problem or not :lol:
well, that's because I prefer to mass buy, since 20% discounts is not a daily affair. I expect to have time to read them one day. yes, it's my goal. :D
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
Sorry... I do have Chinese novels that I put on the "not yet read" piles... most of it is because it is too good that I would like to delicate special periods of time for it, but fails to find the mood and time, others being too hard for me to continue...

That aside, the idea of learning Japanese do cross my mind, but the time needed... hmm...
Shadow, a couple of years is not that long really. If you do intensive studies, you can achieve a very high level within a year's time. Besides, you can just focus on reading comprehension and drop other components. another benefit you get is the maximum enjoyment from things that don't translate well. even for baka-test, I believe a number of jokes would be lost in the translation.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Though I think it would be useful if you have free time. If you're in the last year of university, I'm not sure then...
Kira0802

Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

@Shadow

Frankly I can't say Japanese is a very useful language for study or work when compared to other more mainstream choices so it is fair that you may have some other considerations in mind. But if you only care about reading novels as a hobby it makes perfect sense to focus solely on Japanese reading comprehension, as Lare suggested. The disruption towards your current study/work will also be kept to a minimum.

You don't even need to engage yourself in an intensive study programme to reach reading fluency in one year. What you need is no more than consistently spending one hour per day, which translates into 365 hours of study time.

365 hours are more than enough to cover basic grammar and vocabulary for intermediate reading comprehension, considering that you will be spending minimal time in acquainting yourself with kanji phrases except familiarizing with the non-Chinese special meanings/usages. English knowledge will help you to decipher a majority of katakana phrases at a glance, even if you have never seen them before. The major hurdles of speaking/writing/listening are completely skipped, allowing you to progress at a much quicker speed than those who aim at total mastery of all four aspects (reading, listening, writing, speaking) of language usage.

What follows after the year will simply be extensive reading on any area you are interested in, such as light novels. The more you read, the more new words/expression you learn, and the better your reading fluency will be. You are still strongly recommended to spend one hour a day - but it will no longer be the dry and boring study hour. It will be the leisure reading hour which allows you to enjoy yourself while picking up new stuff on the way.

@Kira
By the time you start working, you will likely have even less free time. You will also totally hate burying your head in textbooks after an entire day of exhausting work. People always say their university years were the most free and enjoyable period in their lives, and it is not without good reasons. :wink:
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Doraneko wrote:@Kira
By the time you start working, you will likely have even less free time. You will also totally hate burying your head in textbooks after an entire day of exhausting work. :wink:
Oh, damn, forgot that one...if I don't learn Japanese in a few years, I'd probably give up on it. Though now, it's my busiest year in highschool.
Kira0802

kuroi_shinigami
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

larethian wrote:
well, that's because I prefer to mass buy, since 20% discounts is not a daily affair. I expect to have time to read them one day. yes, it's my goal. :D
Hahaha, that's what I say when I bought all those novels too you know :lol: But I do know that I probably won't finish it for a long time until I have enough money to retire early and get a lot of free time :mrgreen:
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
ShadowZeroHeart

Oh well, I would neither say nor promise anything, but I am interested to know how you guys picked up Japanese anyway, or useful sites to learn to read Japanese... There are novels that I do actually want to read in its original Japanese text if possible.

Stuff like Bungaku Shoujo makes me think it is best read in Japanese, where the words really do matter? At least thats my impression of it, I may be wrong though.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

You can first memorize the kana first (hiragana + katakana). There should be numerous sites you can find by google that help you to get through this stage.

After that it may be better to pick up a good textbook for a structured course instead of relying on websites. IMO the web is only good for references and won't be very helpful once you get out of the total beginner level.

As for how I studied, I initially took Japanese language courses in my university during my undergraduate years. But after a semester I realized that the snail speed of teaching wouldn't get me anywhere if I stuck to them only. It was then I shifted to self-study mode (I still attended the classes however for the credits). I studied intensively (10hr/day) to clear JLPT2 in two months. After that I just read novels every day and passed JLPT1 in the year after with minimal study effort.

I practised writing by blogging, speaking by joining a martial arts club filled with Japanese members (and later an internship in Tokyo), and listening by watching anime. But these shouldn't concern you too much since your first priority is reading.

The Japanese language is much easier to master compared to Western languages thanks to its simple pronunciation system, lack of exceptions and its straightforward, systematic structure. This is why I think it is particularly good for self-study.

Return to “Manga & Novel”