The Use of "zo"

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

The Use of "zo"

Post by ainsoph9 »

This is something that has been puzzling me for some time now. I keep on hear girls use "zo," a particle in Japanese that is usually reserved strictly for males when they want to show certainty or that they know something that they think the listener does not know or to express desire. I know that the lines between masculine and feminine speech are becoming blurrier over time, but I am even here the supposedly more moe characters in anime using it. Is there anyone who could explain this to me?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: The Use of "zo"

Post by onizuka-gto »

its a trend, that's what i think.

Its like when in the 80's you had the biker girls, who dressed in the blue long skirts and squat about.

dunno if this trend is strong, it might stick like "kogal" trend, or it might fade over time.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

onizuka-gto wrote: Its like when in the 80's you had the biker girls, who dressed in the blue long skirts and squat about.
What? :|
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah, it might be that way. I do not know, hence the post. All I know is that it could be "cho beri baa to ka" (something like so very bad), which was teenie bopper slang from the 90s.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Dan wrote:
onizuka-gto wrote: Its like when in the 80's you had the biker girls, who dressed in the blue long skirts and squat about.
What? :|

you know, the girl gangs?

they were like the female version of "Banchou" they wore a high school version of the sailor fuku, that was reversed coloured.

Instead of white with those blue "sailor" strips, all blue and white strips, but modified to have the skirts go all the way down to their ankles so it looked like a martial art hakken

they usually skipped school, carried boken swords, wear cough masks, squat in meeting places.

some of the violent ones carried razor blade, because during inter-territory conflict the terrible thing you could do to another rival girl gangster was to scar their face.

seriously, they were as popular as the Kogal's were in the 90's.
:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I knew that they existed in anime and manga, but I did not exactly think that they were a complete reflection of reality. I know that you see them in manga and anime like Fruits Basket. Uo-chan and Touru's mother were that, but it does not seem as realistic as some of the other concepts in the series, like the idea of family.
derawr
Astral Realm

Post by derawr »

Whoa...WAYBACK MACHINE...

j/k :D
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yes, Mr. Peabody. Unfortunately, I think that many of us here were in diapers still. So to remember that would be a little bit difficult.

Return to “Music & Culture”