Japan discrimination?

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Japan discrimination?

Post by Doraneko »

ainsoph9 wrote:When I speak of shame, I am speaking about Japan strictly. I do not know so much about other Asian countries. What I do know is that, as pointed out before, China is a capitalist country as described.

I get the feeling that we are not quite understanding one another here...
I was merely giving a counter example to illustrate my point that the named factors (Westernisation, etc) in question do not necessarily bring about the current state in Japan, given that the exact factors are found commonly somewhere else, with totally different outcome.

And no, I was not even using PRC as an example. There indeed seems to be some misunderstandings between us. :?
Traditional cultural preservation and Japan's current attitude towards foreigners has a high correlation, especially if the foreigners represent some unknown element of change to a culture that does not want change.
But how does such kind of east/west conflict make a country more discriminatory? As former colonies, Singapore and Hong Kong are equally good examples of having Western culture forced down their throats and having their local culture suppressed. But their current state of affairs are quite different from Japan.
The current Japan is split between those who want to revert to "older" Japanese ideals and those who want to progress into "newer" Western ideals. So, it is not like Japan is uniform in this manner.
From what I have observed, Japanese is one of the races that are the most adaptive to changes and foreign ideas since thousands of years ago. They learn from the good, polish what they have learnt, and make it even better.

They imported kanji from China and then exported kanji phases back to China. They imported the oriental wooden architecture techniques and make them earthquake proof. They readily scrapped the samurai class (existed for 1000+ years), outlawed samurai swords, and fully embraced the German system of army in late 19th C, making them the first Asian power to defeat an industrialized European power after just a few decades of reform. Even for electronics, Japan was initially seen as only a low-cost low-quality production base in the 50s and 60s, until they copied and improved the technology from the West in early 70s, and has been staying at the top ever since the 80s.

Can you be more specific in terms of the kind of Japanese ideal they strive to preserve? How the Western forces come to be interested in changing that specific ideal, and how does the whole play-out relate to the current state of affairs in regard to discrimination?
Also, shame is more or less native to Japan culturally speaking.
That is why I failed to follow your point on how American influence brought about the current state of affairs in relation to discrimination in Japan. As stated previous, a country with 100% Japanese culture intact and free of external influence is the pre-WW2 Japan. Shame culture, uniformity, strict adherence to hierarchy, suppress of individualism: all these culture elements directly brought about the highly discriminatory and hostile attitude towards foreigners at that time. The post-war American influence only served to lessen the effect of these extreme attitudes and make the country as a whole more pacifist but also more ignorant to global affairs.
However, I think that you are confusing education with the media and the political system. While education is influenced and/or run by the governmental system, that does not necessitate that the educational system brainwashes people.
The government needs not. and I believe it did not (under US pressure) brainwash its people to bring about the current state of affairs.

As explained previously, the Japanese system of education is indoctrination-based. The government may be feeding you good and correct knowledge - but the problem lies in the approach, not the correctness of the knowledge or the information itself.

From kindergarten year 1, all Japanese are taught to follow what their teachers say with no question at all. Assessments solely focus on testing how much they can reiterate what has been taught to them, instead of developing fresh arguments base on what they have been taught. Therefore, those who are capable of thinking out of the box and challenge the authority are penalized by the system.

Facing the pressure from school and family, they will eventually adjust their thinking and conform to the majority. Even for a creative, inquisitive mind, if he sits in this system for 10+ years, he will end up as a corporate zombie like every other graduate. This is what the Japanese describe as "for every single nail that stands up, it will be eventually struck down."

Even after they graduate, these corporate zombies have become so used to passive receipt of information at face value with no scepticism and critical analysis. That is how Japanese come to become the kind of pacifists that are ignorant of the outside happenings. Each and everyone of them is simply trained for 10+ years to stop caring and focus only on his/her minuscule duties in the giant corporate machine. They are satisfied with their current conditions and wouldn't dare raising questions.

Their attitude towards foreigners due to skewed TV reports and ignorance is just a minor tip of this great iceberg of a problem, which has been dragging down the Japanese economy for 20+ years.
The problem you are describing concerning Japanese people believing everything they hear I would credit more to the fact that Japan is a culture of uniformity.
The so-called uniformity has to come from somewhere instead of popping out of the thin air. I think my discussion on the flaws of Japanese education system has provided a believable explanation to the prevalence of uniformity in the Japanese society.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I was merely giving a counter example to illustrate my point that the named factors (Westernisation, etc) in question do not necessarily bring about the current state in Japan, given that the exact factors are found commonly somewhere else, with totally different outcome.

And no, I was not even using PRC as an example. There indeed seems to be some misunderstandings between us.
Ok.
But how does such kind of east/west conflict make a country more discriminatory? As former colonies, Singapore and Hong Kong are equally good examples of having Western culture forced down their throats and having their local culture suppressed. But their current state of affairs are quite different from Japan.
My guess is that Japan's rejection and acceptance of various Western values has created a schism in the culture in Japan. Due to ignorance or whatever, that schism has promoted discriminatory behavior out of fear. As for other countries, they are different cultures, where I would expect the response to be somewhat different as well.
From what I have observed, Japanese is one of the races that are the most adaptive to changes and foreign ideas since thousands of years ago. They learn from the good, polish what they have learnt, and make it even better.

They imported kanji from China and then exported kanji phases back to China. They imported the oriental wooden architecture techniques and make them earthquake proof. They readily scrapped the samurai class (existed for 1000+ years), outlawed samurai swords, and fully embraced the German system of army in late 19th C, making them the first Asian power to defeat an industrialized European power after just a few decades of reform. Even for electronics, Japan was initially seen as only a low-cost low-quality production base in the 50s and 60s, until they copied and improved the technology from the West in early 70s, and has been staying at the top ever since the 80s.

Can you be more specific in terms of the kind of Japanese ideal they strive to preserve? How the Western forces come to be interested in changing that specific ideal, and how does the whole play-out relate to the current state of affairs in regard to discrimination?
I will not argue with what you are saying about Japan's adaptability.

Oh boy. What you are asking for is a whole book in itself. Dang. I will have to get back to you on this one when I have more time.
That is why I failed to follow your point on how American influence brought about the current state of affairs in relation to discrimination in Japan. As stated previous, a country with 100% Japanese culture intact and free of external influence is the pre-WW2 Japan. Shame culture, uniformity, strict adherence to hierarchy, suppress of individualism: all these culture elements directly brought about the highly discriminatory and hostile attitude towards foreigners at that time. The post-war American influence only served to lessen the effect of these extreme attitudes and make the country as a whole more pacifist but also more ignorant to global affairs.
Agreed.
The government needs not. and I believe it did not (under US pressure) brainwash its people to bring about the current state of affairs.

As explained previously, the Japanese system of education is indoctrination-based. The government may be feeding you good and correct knowledge - but the problem lies in the approach, not the correctness of the knowledge or the information itself.

From kindergarten year 1, all Japanese are taught to follow what their teachers say with no question at all. Assessments solely focus on testing how much they can reiterate what has been taught to them, instead of developing fresh arguments base on what they have been taught. Therefore, those who are capable of thinking out of the box and challenge the authority are penalized by the system.

Facing the pressure from school and family, they will eventually adjust their thinking and conform to the majority. Even for a creative, inquisitive mind, if he sits in this system for 10+ years, he will end up as a corporate zombie like every other graduate. This is what the Japanese describe as "for every single nail that stands up, it will be eventually struck down."

Even after they graduate, these corporate zombies have become so used to passive receipt of information at face value with no scepticism and critical analysis. That is how Japanese come to become the kind of pacifists that are ignorant of the outside happenings. Each and everyone of them is simply trained for 10+ years to stop caring and focus only on his/her minuscule duties in the giant corporate machine. They are satisfied with their current conditions and wouldn't dare raising questions.

Their attitude towards foreigners due to skewed TV reports and ignorance is just a minor tip of this great iceberg of a problem, which has been dragging down the Japanese economy for 20+ years.
I agree with what you are saying. I do not agree with how the Japanese implement their educational system though because it teaches people to be drones. Interestingly enough, their educational system is the exact opposite of a Jewish educational system, which has everyone asking questions of the teacher and no particular set answer always exists. You still respect the teacher, but the teacher can be and usually wants to be questioned. On the other hand, the Western education system is somewhat between the two, although I think it leans more towards the Japanese approach. Only one set answer exists, and oftentimes people are discouraged from exploring further for alternative answers.
The so-called uniformity has to come from somewhere instead of popping out of the thin air. I think my discussion on the flaws of Japanese education system has provided a believable explanation to the prevalence of uniformity in the Japanese society.
Agreed.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ainsoph9 wrote:kira, I am afraid that I am not following you with respect to flow of what doraneko was saying...
I have difficulties getting an objective view. Probably the reason.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Right now, it is more opinion and analysis than anything objective. So, if you are looking for objectivity, you might want to look somewhere else for the moment.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Objectivity I would think is just being outside of the two side of a debate.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Not exactly because one's relationship to a debate is rather subjective, depending on one's opinion of the subject matter, the disputants, etc.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Well a debate is about convincing someone to a side of an issue.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Not always. Sometimes, people just debate for fun just to pass the time or whatever without wanting to persuade anyone.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

ainsoph9 wrote:Not always. Sometimes, people just debate for fun just to pass the time or whatever without wanting to persuade anyone.
Hah, I almost feel like that is what this one editor is doing. He is criticizing me for translating 「チクショ」 as 'poke', and he tells me to change it to a less offensive (?) swear word to 'improve the quality of the translation'.

At times like these, I just want to stab his eyes out.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Wait on the wiki or just something else?

Also, that editor needs to loosen up.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Well, so much for being literal...
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

What is that supposed to mean?
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Hah, I almost feel like that is what this one editor is doing. He is criticizing me for translating 「チクショ」 as 'poke', and he tells me to change it to a less offensive (?) swear word to 'improve the quality of the translation'.

At times like these, I just want to stab his eyes out.
Translating as Poke? I would also be ondering. :lol:

Well, anyways, you can translate whatever you want into whatever you want. It's the translator's choice for the use of terms, as well as the proofreaders. Editors normally should check for the spelling mistakes, syntax, grammar, etc.

BTW, what does チクショ literally means?
Kira0802

YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Just...a curse word. If you want to talk about an actual meaning, it would mean チクショ. In English, I do not know what an actual meaning would be. Apparently, it is equivalent to 'shit'. Or, so I am told.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Just...a curse word. If you want to talk about an actual meaning, it would mean チクショ. In English, I do not know what an actual meaning would be. Apparently, it is equivalent to 'shit'. Or, so I am told.
I cannot tell you if you're right or wrong, since Bing doesn't even translate it.
Kira0802

Return to “Music & Culture”