ONIGIRI!! Perfect Snack?

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

What's your favourite Japanese Snack?

Onigiri!
22%
Those funny long biscuit things, with different sweet coated ends!
11%
pickled daikon!
No votes
Sushi roll
28%
Other.... (please specify)
39%

Total votes: 18

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

ONIGIRI!! Perfect Snack?

Post by onizuka-gto »

Been eating these for a few weeks now, and i have made some conclusion:

1) Sea-Chicken is not really chicken from the sea

2) Land Chicken don't taste so good in Onigiri

3) Cooked Salted Salmon onigiri don't taste so good when they are too dry.

4) Mirin soaked, fried chinese mushrooms are surprisingly good

5) Salted plums are horrible on their own, but are great in Onigiri

yup.

no.5 surprised me.

I've tasted salted sour plums on their own and it really nasty.

but recently i picked up a sour/salt plum onigiri, not on purpose, cos they don't have english on the packaging, so i just picked at random, i knew light green label was sea-chicken, pink is salmon, blue is chicken, and now, purple is plum.

And i must say, i like it, sour plum is the way to go in onigiri.

just don't put so much in it.

the Mirin mushroom was a homemade version, (got some onigiri makers at home!) they work the treat.

last quite long too, made a few on a monday, gotta keep them out the fridge though, and ate the last one yesterday.

still taste just as good, gotta make sure the rice is moist and has enough vinegar in it, to perseve the inside.

think i'll head out and grab anouth plum onigiri. :)

so just asking, what's your favourite onigiri/japanese snack?
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Setherzam
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Setherzam »

I like those rolls that they make only during setsubun. But normal sushi rolls are good too
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Hi-Chew!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Hi-Chews are awesome! If you have never had one, think of a gummy and fruitier Starburst (sort of a fruit chew for those of you who cannot find Starbursts).
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I don't get the Hi-chews correlation.

But yeah, onigiri rule. Cheaper than most other Japanese instant fare too.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

you know, this saturday was officially mikuru day. (no. i did not run about in a bunny suit.)

what i meant was i went out and bought a selection of green tea. dunno why.

just went a bit tea crazy.

mikuru was right by the way, you need a certain temperature of hot water, for some tea to taste good.

i'll take some pictures of them later, i was tempted to buy more but i limited my self to three.

one was tea leaf bits thingy (first time i tried it, i got the floaty bit. yay!), and the other two was powder form.

i felt the tea left really smelled sushi-like, and i need to rinse the tea leaves first, to get the taste going.

the powder ones are easier but it takes a bit of practice to get the right amount of powder to a standard cup.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
BaKaFiSh
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

Hey, I <3 Umeboshi..>_>

On its own too...
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

pictures of green tea! if anyone knows what they say on it, please tell me. i just chose them because they have pretty pictures on them ...tea in a cup...

:roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@Onizukademongto
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

ooo japanese green tea! my favorite!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

right, here is my short review of those green tea.

The yellow one smell like nori, japanese seaweed, and the taste is smooth, a nice balance of sweet/bitter, and after taste of nori.

THe green middle one, has a nice green tea smell, its hard to describe, it has a somewhat neutral taste, and its very smooth, not bitter, or sweet.

the last one, it has a smell of sushi, slightly fishy/vinegar, but the taste, is slightly bitter, and has a fuller body.

The powder one needs to be stirred regular for you to experience the taste, and it tends to settle on the bottom of your cup if you leave it too long.

while the tea leave one does have a fuller body taste, the powder one does make the tea feel "thicker", and comforting in a way.

but its convenience gives it an advantage to the tea leaf one.

i'll be bring it to work this week, probably the none nori tasting one. :p

@Onizukademongto
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

For the Matcha(powdered tea) you need one of those fancy bamboo brushes. Then you can mix it until it's foamy.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Beware the talking cat wrote:For the Matcha(powdered tea) you need one of those fancy bamboo brushes. Then you can mix it until it's foamy.
i don't have that, i guess i'll just buy a paint brush. its still abrush. it'll work wont it?

:roll:

@Onizukademongto
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by the_naming_game »

I like the fried green pea snacks with wasabi. But I really don't have much experience with Japanese foods ... the only other things I've had are "Those funny long biscuit things, with different sweet coated ends!" and some most likely inauthentic sushi... I liked it though. But my vote still goes to "Other" ... Oh, I've also had this kind of dried chewy seaweed thing that comes in a candy wrapper. That was good but kind of bland. Okay, I've had more Japanese snacks than I thought I did.

Oni:
What are you talking about? Salted plums are great! (What's everyone's opinion on salted/dried plums/umeboshi?)

I don't know if you've ever had these, but do you know the sticky rice things filled with diced meat and mushrooms and so on, and wrapped in palm leaves and steamed? Does onigiri taste anything like that?

Too lazy to look up the kanji I don't know, but the one on the right is ... sushi flavor? Either that or maybe it's supposed to go with sushi. But I like the first idea better.

(edit: below)
Okay, I looked up some example sentences, and the first interpretation was wrong; it was just taking the edict definition "taste" and pretending it was English... so literally it's "sushi preference" ... as if the sushi itself prefers this tea, or in Eng{r->l}ish, again, that it's supposed to go with sushi? Oh well, I had fun guessing anyway.
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

I like eating umeiboshi as snacks........ those sweet ginger things are good too. I still remeber those special mocha jelly and water melon onigiris :lol: and daifuku mochi goes pretty good with the weat tea.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

TNG: Err... no. Onigiri is not made with the same kinda stuff as the ones you're thinking off. What do you call those again? I know you're supposed to throw them into the river or something.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

How about rice filled Onigiri? It would certainly be interesting. They keep eating and eating and wonder where the middle is.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.

Return to “Music & Culture”