Lyrics or Sound

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rectifier
Astral Realm

Re: Lyrics or Sound

Post by Rectifier »

I forgot to mention Country is one of those Lyric abusing genres as well, "If I had a million dollars..." being a case in point...
chrnno
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by chrnno »

Some genres really overdo it. To the point it makes me wonder if people who actually say they like the genre lost their sanity by listening to such genres too much.
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

I guess for every single music I had, almost 100% were judged based on sound. Well, since I collected quite a number of OSTs already so it makes sense why I say so. There are songs with lyrics but it's not why the lyrics are there that became my choosing factor. The lyrics somehow add to the overall sound that I love to hear from the song. Funny lyrics also can come into consideration, for example Tenacious D's songs.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

i look for quality in both, though nowadays its difficult to find conciliation between them.. if sound was all i wanted, classical music would be more than enough; i get to feel an astounding destiny in Beethoven's 5th, poetry in Moonlight Sonata, and of course, beautiful repetition in Pachelbel's Canon.. stretching to the present, i find Santana awesome as well..

as for lyrics, so long as it makes sense i'd listen to it.. now that automatically excludes the novelty genre, but humorous words like "Because I Got High" will make me laugh, then think.. of course, meaningful poetry is something i seek 8)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Something that has gotten me thinking is, sometimes we don't like the music because of the lyrics or sound themselves but because where we listed it. For example a music that opens a series that you like will most times register as you liking it. Or one that plays on a part of a film that you especially enjoy.

I could give a lot more examples but it is an interesting aproach to the entire thing.
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

^ as I have said before there is a nostalgia effect with that. Do I enjoy the music because is part of my favorite show? Do I enjoy the music when a certain scene pops up? Is hard at times. I love ED because it symbolize what the show is but without the show as the music stands alone I don't think I would have enjoy it with a content.

baka baka baka
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

I remember the first time that I got into hard rock and eventually metal, it was because I listened to a Godsmack song (don't remember which) on the radio that piqued my interest.
FNX
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]

Post by FNX »

b0mb3r wrote:^ as I have said before there is a nostalgia effect with that. Do I enjoy the music because is part of my favorite show? Do I enjoy the music when a certain scene pops up? Is hard at times. I love ED because it symbolize what the show is but without the show as the music stands alone I don't think I would have enjoy it with a content.
We all know the fact that music coveys feelings but it also draws from memories as everything else does, we sometimes find something pleasant because it remind us about a pleasant moment. That in itself is a huge motivation that make us choose some of the music we hear, who couldn't remember a scene from a movie just from hearing the song.

Now, on the original topic, well in my particular case I really enjoy music over lyrics that's why I can enjoy music in other languages so much, I don't have to pay attention to anything more than the fact that the voice is becoming part of the music itself, it's just another beautiful instrument that gives the piece another direction, sometimes for better sometimes for worse, in fact I really like some karaokes more than the original version.

That point is also one of the thing that drives me away from music on my language, sometimes the "meaning" of the lyrics it's to insulting, to much idiocy in some lyrics that I don't feel comfortable listening or even singing them.

And for last, songs with lyrics draws more people because the voice is the only instrument that every human being knows how to use without much effort (the quality is another topic entirely) so if your favorite song has lyrics that you can sing you surely will feel more inclined to like it since you can "emulate" the real singer (look at all the people that like guitar hero or rock band)

I hope it make sense, I'm quite better reading in English than writing in it.
La unica manera de medir la vida es por medio de la pasion de vivirla...
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

^ Thank you for that lovely expression on your take on music. I also agreed that the voice itself becomes an instrument. lol listening at this great example of a song called Gibberish. He literally sang in gibberish but it sounds like it means something.

baka baka baka
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Most of the time, I focus on the music. However, lyrics can make or break a song for me: unless I just really love the sound of a song, stupid or shallow lyrics make me hate it. This is why I so despise rap, hip hop, and r&b; the lyrics are so shallow almost all of the time, and I oftentimes find myself angered just by the words, besides the fact that beats from a computer never manage to impress me, no matter how they are arranged.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

For me its both. The interaction of both together has to be inherently consistent.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

One of my musical teachers told me that singers try to sound more like instruments while musicians try to make their instruments sing.
Noproblem
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Noproblem »

Rectifier wrote:One of my musical teachers told me that singers try to sound more like instruments while musicians try to make their instruments sing.
yea, I've heard that before :)

Return to “Music & Culture”