Inception

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Inception

Post by b0mb3r »

The only reason I watched this movie is because at comic con many geeks highly recommend it to me. So I watched it yesterday at IMAX and my feeling of it:

Mixed

Positive: Is a very well executed movie. Good camera shots, nice settings, etc. I like how they throw so much terminology and jargons about dreams into your face before you can absorb it in. Leo is one of my favorite actors so I enjoy his performance, since it is supposedly a emotional movie.

Negative: While I understand this is a "dream-heist" movie I find everything to be too organized, too neat. Yes they are professional and this is a skill they used to put their "targets" in a seemly realistic world to make it easier to extract ideas but I find it all rigid. They say they require imagination but I see the lack of it. Rather everything is so god damn technical. This is a type of movie and story requires such adamant traits and I am not asking the typical fantasy dragon and wizards but I do wish it tilted more to that side.

Conclusion: I enjoy the movie but I feel stiff throughout the whole ride. I kept my standard moderate since I can't always rely the common's people response "is the best movie of the decade" but it disappoints me in that area. I think the movie that suits me best in this area are those great Salvador Dali shorts he has done. I highly recommend you check them out.

baka baka baka
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Inception

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Meh, it was all right. A filler until The Expendables this Friday. 8)
Noproblem
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Noproblem »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:Meh, it was all right. A filler until The Expendables this Friday. 8)
gonna see that film also, seems really badass :P
Gwilthyunman
Senior Project Translator

Post by Gwilthyunman »

Watching Inception with its futuristic emphasis on getting inside people's heads through dreams, especially hearing Leonardo DiCaprio explain the pitfalls to newbie Ellen Page, I couldn't help thinking about Forbidden Planet and that warning about monsters from the Id. Did earth manage to conquer what the Krells could not?

Christopher Nolan wrote and directed Inception and though it gets a bit heavy at times, it still is an unmistakable masterpiece. Leonardo DiCaprio stars in this and he's essentially a cat burglar of the mind. His mission usually is to invade people's dreams and steal ideas which makes him an invaluable espionage agent. But Leo's also a wanted man.

Some problems Leo has relating to his Id have forced him to rely on others to create dream worlds. He was working against Japanese billionaire industrialist Ken Watanabe and got caught, but then Watanabe likes his style and hires Leo and his team to do a job on the young heir to a communications conglomerate, Cillian Murphy. It's not to steal anything, but to plant an idea in his brain with the dream team. The film is essentially how DiCaprio and his crew go about this job with Watanabe incidentally along for the ride. And its how Leo has to deal with some real demons involving guilt that force him to rely on others.

Very nice computer graphic generated special effects characterize Inception and it will probably earn an Oscar nomination next year in that category. Director Nolan gets his talented cast to read writer Nolan's dialog with verve and conviction.

I truly hope this technology is not in our near future that would be a frightening thought.
Noproblem wrote:
TheGiftedMonkey wrote:Meh, it was all right. A filler until The Expendables this Friday. 8)
gonna see that film also, seems really badass :P
Gonna see that movie too!! Can't wait for it!!! :D
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Felt like a lot of the information was spoon fed to the audience, if it was more vague this movie could have been much more artistic.
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Rectifier wrote:Felt like a lot of the information was spoon fed to the audience, if it was more vague this movie could have been much more artistic.
Can you get anymore artistic than having the audience all gasp in awe at the spinning top when it went straight to credits, wondering whether it's gonna fall or not?

The deeper meaning of that ending is Cobbs is no longer bound by his guilt of causing his wife to die, and so was no longer concerned whether he was awake or in limbo, he will see his kids at last in one way or another.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Can you get anymore artistic than having the audience all gasp in awe at the spinning top when it went straight to credits, wondering whether it's gonna fall or not?
Oh please, that entire segment was just using basic human psychology against the audience.
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Rectifier wrote:
Kinny Riddle wrote:Can you get anymore artistic than having the audience all gasp in awe at the spinning top when it went straight to credits, wondering whether it's gonna fall or not?
Oh please, that entire segment was just using basic human psychology against the audience.
Oh please, don't be such a cynic. :mrgreen:
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

The Expendables was AWESOME by the way. I was flexing and crying at the same time. Such a manly movie!

Return to “Music & Culture”