VN OSTs

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: VN OSTs

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

kira0802 wrote:YouTube would be fine. I tried downloading the CDs from the net, but the file was corrupted...
I only have this....

Link removed.

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Cosmic Eagle wrote:
kira0802 wrote:YouTube would be fine. I tried downloading the CDs from the net, but the file was corrupted...
I only have this....

Link removed.
Links should be sent through PM. However, I saved the URL. :D
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

So, I'm trying to find this OST: http://vgmdb.net/album/4855

But, after having no luck in the English department, I managed to find a Korean tracker, (whose magnet link I could not download,) a few Chinese DDLS, (which had expired,) and some Japanese...something.

At any rate, I'm pretty close to bashing my head onto my table, so if someone manages to find anything could they please PM me?
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Links sent.

Though I am not sure if the file is broken.
Kira0802

YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Kira, you are my God.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Kira, you are my God.
That's going a bit overboard. :oops: :lol:

EDIT: Check if it's that one first.
Kira0802

EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Speaking of which, 季節の影 / 風のRhythm is a great tune. Personally, I also like "窓を打つ雨" a lot (well, I always like the sad songs in VNs because those are most often played in the scenes that make the game for me).
Having said that, maybe I should go play the 分校系 routes. Skipped them because they weren't written by Takehaya. :D
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:Speaking of which, 季節の影 / 風のRhythm is a great tune. Personally, I also like "窓を打つ雨" a lot (well, I always like the sad songs in VNs because those are most often played in the scenes that make the game for me).
Having said that, maybe I should go play the 分校系 routes. Skipped them because they weren't written by Takehaya. :D
Yes, those are my favorites. Edit: To be more precise, I like 季節の影、and I ***** love 風のRhythm. 窓を打つ雨 is pretty good. But I prefer ゆりかご over the last one. Or, actually, 夜明けを運ぶ風.

Ah...Well, I thought that which scenarios were written by Takehaya was merely conjecture, (although it was pretty obvious,) but if you are a Takehaya fan, you probably won't like the other routes.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't be able to take it if I heard one more complaint about the non-Takehaya routes. I fell head over heels for Sumika, and I'm not sure what I'd do if I heard one more comment about how her route is boring.

Yes, I know that the progression is almost like you're being trolled. Yes, I know that there are 8 event scenes, and that you perform ********** before ***********, but no, I don't care, because Sumika is ********** lovely.

And, for some reason, I'm feeling an urge to place an expletive behind every adjective.

Ah, sorry, I get heated up about the topic...To tell the truth, I haven't even finished Sumika's route, so I don't know the ending, but I really hate it when people bash on what I love.

Edit #2: I haven't finished the game yet, (not even one route, but I'll blame it on the 8 event scenes where it takes me a minute a page because I'm savoring the exquisite detail,) but I did a quick runthrough of the OST because I had liked what I had heard so far. After you pointed out the ones you liked, I went through them again, and only then did I realize that 季節の影 had the theme of 風のRhythm. I really love that opening...

Also, it would be nice if we could resuscitate this topic so I could expand my library of awesome OSTs : )
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

conjecture
Hm... It's on Wikipedia and all over erogamescape, so I guess it's kinda definite?

And well, I'm not exactly a Takehiro fan, just heard that the other routes aren't really that great. I loved his writing style in Haruka ni Aogi, but I don't know how many times I almost fell asleep while reading Soshite Ashita no Sekai yori. Heck, in Asuseka I even ended up in the girl-less ending in my first playthrough, while telling myself "hold on just a bit, I'll enter the route any moment! Any moment...Credits...? EH?!"

So, I think it may be worth a try for me. Not that I have nothing else to play anyway. :D
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Is it? I have no idea what erogegamescape is, and I didn't take a look at the wikipedia. Sorry, didn't know about that.

And yes, in terms of plot, I suppose the story isn't that great. It's purportedly not amazing, but I'm weak to cheap tragedy, because from personal experience, I know that the cheapest tragedy can be the most painful. And, the fact that she (Sumika) doesn't fit any cheap stereotype that I know of is a plus. Edit: (K, maybe light tsundere, but at the very least not abusive.) Also, her way of talking is kind of soothing, (and massively harsh.)

I can't really explain her personality without spoiling too much, but at least know that if you play Sumika's route, you're going to be trolled a little (lot), in terms of romance progression because of the teacher-student relationship as well as her own personal...ity.

It's a little hard to explain why exactly I love her, and I'm not going to try, since I don't want to spoil you. Can't really say anything about any other route, since I haven't played any other route.

If you do decide to play it, have fun~~
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:erogegamescape
Don't want to post a link here (google~), but it's pretty much the largest database / review site there is for eroges.

To return to the topic:

I often find myself liking music in doujin games. E.g. EDEN (最終戦争少女伝説 / Saishuusensoushoujo Densetsu) and Himawari shared some tracks I really liked. That's also how I found Rengoku Teien -- you'll immediately notice quality-wise that it's doujin, but sometimes that's nice to listen to anyway. My all time favorite is 想いを彼方へ.

And to list two novels that have (IMO) solid though not "great" OSTs:
- 月染の枷鎖 (Tsukisome no Kasa) - For some reason I really like this one. Maybe because of my memories of playing it. No tracks on youtube it seems, but at least the OP's there.
- AQUA has a few tracks I like, e.g. "There is nothing again" is not bad.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Mmm, I haven't played many doujin games, except I believe one yuri game that was so bad I forgot the name, and Toransu, (bondage Toradora if I remember correctly,) but neither of their OSTs were very good.

Like you, I tend to like soft, sad tracks with classical themes,

Such as '寂しい夜' from Yosuga no Sora,
or '天使の笑み' from Ef, (although not very sad,)

-but I noticed another trend in my favorites, but I'm not quite sure what genre it would be.

An example would be, 'memory' from the Fate/Stay Night Avalon Arrange Album, or 'The Lancer' from the Fate/Zero's Return to Zero. It's more upbeat, but they both have piano components as well.

I'm a big fan of orchestral arranges of openings or endings that I like, though.

The only one that comes to mind isn't from a VN, but it's Square,

1000 Words - FF X-2, (A really horrible game, I suggest you don't play it. Nice graphics and soundtrack though~)

Edit: Listened to 想いをかなたへ, I liked the beginning, but the chorus seemed to get slightly repetitive.
Quite nice, though. I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.

For me, music is the major defining factor in a visual novel, so I can hope you can direct me to more works whose music you enjoy.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

For me, music is the major defining factor in a visual novel, so I can hope you can direct me to more works whose music you enjoy.
I agree. If used at the right moments, it can power up certain scenes so much, and it kinda sets the "feel" of the novel and much of its after-taste.

Just listened to "The Lancer" since I got the album on my computer. Sounds nice. I like the melody in the background.
Speaking of Fate: I didn't like the original soundtrack, to be honest. The only tracks I liked were 消えない想い, エミヤ and この世全ての悪. ^^'

As for Yosuga no Sora and ef:
I could listen to those OSTs all day long. (Though I believe I have the anime OST of yosuga? At least it's one of the soundtracks I usually listen to when translating)
I'm a big fan of orchestral arranges of openings or endings that I like, though.
Agreed here as well. From time to time I try to find at least a piano arrange or something of the like, since there's hardly ever an orchestral one. Dimeman has some nice piano arranges in this respect. E.g. this or this.

[edit from post above to here]
I'm also quite fond of Japanese-style insert songs. "山神の祝詞" in アトリの空と真鍮の月 was great (and again not on Youtube), and so was "祀龗の丘" in 秋空に舞うコンフェティ.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

[edit from post above to here]
I'm also quite fond of Japanese-style insert songs. "山神の祝詞" in アトリの空と真鍮の月 was great (and again not on Youtube), and so was "祀龗の丘" in 秋空に舞うコンフェティ.
Ah sorry, I completely skipped over that part. I'll get to it directly.
I agree. If used at the right moments, it can power up certain scenes so much, and it kinda sets the "feel" of the novel and much of its after-taste.
Have you ever tried turning off the BGM and playing? It feels so wrong. The emotional emphasis and reinforcement in each scene is nearly deadened. Same thing as when you turn off the voice acting. Individual characteristics and idiosyncrasies/idiolects that make the character so lovable, so real are captured in the flow of the music. It's almost unbearable to play without it.

As another point, the perspective of some scenes can change dramatically depending on the music. For example, if a romantic and touching tune is used in an event scene, it can be a consummation of love, but insert a more ominous, foreboding, malevolent (?) BGM, and the entire feeling becomes forced. I noticed that this was played to particular effect, in Haruka ni Aogi (of course this relies on the customary, (「<動詞入力し>っちゃダメ」 for full effect.)
As for Yosuga no Sora and ef:
I could listen to those OSTs all day long. (Though I believe I have the anime OST of yosuga? At least it's one of the soundtracks I usually listen to when translating)
I really love Tenmon. I reallly really really love Tenmon. And so, how do you feel about the 秒速5センチメートル OST? Sometimes, I felt that it was a bit too slow, (slow movie [and title]), but there are some gems in there.
Speaking of Fate: I didn't like the original soundtrack, to be honest. The only tracks I liked were 消えない想い, エミヤ and この世全ての悪. ^^'
Didn't like the original soundtrack either. I liked 移り行く季節 rather than Emiya though. However, the Avalon arrange album is completely different. (Just in passing, I absolutely loath the Tsukihime soundtrack.)
Agreed here as well. From time to time I try to find at least a piano arrange or something of the like, since there's hardly ever an orchestral one. Dimeman has some nice piano arranges in this respect. E.g. this or this.
I blue-screened after opening one of those links in a new-tab, losing about two hours of playtime, so wait until I skip ahead enough and save before I comment on these.

Edit:

きっと、澄みわたる朝色よりも・・・あのさ、懐かしいんだな。音楽が最高だね。

Also, as for the playlist...One that really struck me was the piece from Baldr Sky, I really loved that novel...

If I spent less time playing games and more time practicing the piano, maybe I would be able to play that.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

YoakeNoHikari wrote: Have you ever tried turning off the BGM and playing? It feels so wrong. The emotional emphasis and reinforcement in each scene is nearly deadened. Same thing as when you turn off the voice acting. Individual characteristics and idiosyncrasies/idiolects that make the character so lovable, so real are captured in the flow of the music. It's almost unbearable to play without it.
Indeed, and that's one of the strengths I see VNs have over LNs - and I believe that's one of the main reasons why I've almost never even got teary-eyed while reading a LN even though I cry like a baby in some VNs.
As another point, the perspective of some scenes can change dramatically depending on the music.
This totally reminds me of "天使の羽根を踏まないでっ". I have only played through one route so far, but I've never ever come across misplaced music of this level. I mean, they frickin' played a calm piano tune during the climax! That was just... ugh.
And so, how do you feel about the 秒速5センチメートル OST? Sometimes, I felt that it was a bit too slow, (slow movie [and title]), but there are some gems in there.
Never got the OST, but from what I can tell from watching the movie, it fit the beautiful art quite well. Have to get it one of these days, and rewatch the movie. :D (Come to think of it, there are still other Makoto Shinkai movies on my to-watch list...)
(Just in passing, I absolutely loath the Tsukihime soundtrack.)
For some reason I remember Tsukimori [edit]Tsukihime, I mean. Damn, too much Gekkou.[/edit] when listening to the HIgurashi OST. Perhaps because I replaced all tracks with Higurashi music. :D

[edit]
Also, as for the playlist...One that really struck me was the piece from Baldr Sky, I really loved that novel...
Yeah, I liked all OPs so far, but the setting kinda puts me off, so I haven't touched them yet.
If I spent less time playing games and more time practicing the piano, maybe I would be able to play that.
I'd have a keyboard standing in my room since years... but somehow I can't keep myself practicing. I actually only really did for a few days. Darn, how I'd love to make some arranges myself.

Return to “Music & Culture”