The Foreign Language Thread!

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: The Foreign Language Thread!

Post by Mystes »

Raji, I can teach you Latin, if you want.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Rajikai »

O.o That seems nice :) Thanks for the offer. I might actually have to take you up on that.
1,550/3,400
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I might be able to help you with Japanese and some Spanish, but do not count on me for the Spanish too heavily. I have lost a lot of my fluency due to neglect.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

You guys are so nice :cry: I wish I could teach you all Portuguese, But I only speak a broken Portuguese and only know how to read and understand... :cry: Sorry...
1,550/3,400
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

That is closer to my current level of Spanish, but we all help when we can, right?
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Heh I guess. And if I do manage to learn all these languages I crave for, I'll be sure to help Baka-tsuki (if they are still alive by then)... That's going to be a long time... Can't wait to translate sign language ;)
1,550/3,400
Khaleel
Project Translator

Post by Khaleel »

ainsoph9 wrote:
Khaleel wrote:Hum, Aion. In another thread you cited Esau and Jacob and seems to have a good religious knowledge, are you theologian or somenthig like? If yes, It's related to your job or is only a hobby?
I am not a theologian, scholar, or anything of the sort. Just a layman. I do study religious material for various reasons, but I would not consider myself an expert or really all that knowledgeable.

Belive me, it's something awesome. I have a average bible knowledge, but i feel a necessity to study the others religions to, if don't understand, at least, respect.

Layman...A Lawyer?

Rajikai, why you don't try to translate some novels in English to Portuguese? Seria bastante interessante ( could be very interesting)
"Unknown on the Internet, nor known for bishoujo gals. "
Light Novel Project
Spoiler! :
Current Working:
SAO: Volume 4-Volume 2. In this priority order.
Traduzindo para o Português!
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Because there are lots of words I do not understand in Portuguese, Don't know how to write in Portuguese (because I was never taught), and anything I do know, is self taught. Speaking is one thing, reading is another.

Portuguese understanding > Riding a bike > Opening a tightly screwed jar > Portuguese Speaking > Portuguese Reading > ABC's Backwards > Portuguese Writing > Portuguese Grammar Skills > Portuguese Spelling Skills.

As you see... I'm not that good.
1,550/3,400
Khaleel
Project Translator

Post by Khaleel »

Rajikai wrote:Because there are lots of words I do not understand in Portuguese, Don't know how to write in Portuguese (because I was never taught), and anything I do know, is self taught. Speaking is one thing, reading is another.

Portuguese understanding > Riding a bike > Opening a tightly screwed jar > Portuguese Speaking > Portuguese Reading > ABC's Backwards > Portuguese Writing > Portuguese Grammar Skills > Portuguese Spelling Skills.

As you see... I'm not that good.
...Well, with the spelling is necessary someone to speak with. I imagine how is hard to other persons understand the "s" "ss" "ç" and rules like S or Z? Like "Casa"(House) is spelled "Caza" and other basics from our grammar.

A good way to start is the good and old To be...

Teacher Khaleel, first lesson:

I-Eu
You-Você(Tu)
He-Ele
She-Ela
It-Ele
They-Eles
We-Nós
You-Vocês(Vós)

Verb: "Comer"(Eat)

Present--------------Future-----------Past------
Eu como------------Eu comerei-----Eu comi----
Você come--------Você comera----Você comeu---
Ele come----------Ele comera------Ele comeu-----
Ela come---------Ela comera-------Ela comeu-----
Ele come--------Ele comera-------Ele comeu----
Nós comemos---Nós comeremos---Nós comemos---
Eles comem----Eles comerão----Ele comeram----
Vocês comem.--Vocês comerão---Vocês comeram---
Light Novel Project
Spoiler! :
Current Working:
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Nice. I Plan to write this in a notebook to study tomorrow... Or later today :) Btw, I knew about Casa :) Rei - King.
A few vocabulary. Btw, it sounds like Spanish lol...
1,550/3,400
Khaleel
Project Translator

Post by Khaleel »

Rajikai wrote:Nice. I Plan to write this in a notebook to study tomorrow... Or later today :) Btw, I knew about Casa :) Rei - King.
A few vocabulary. Btw, it sounds like Spanish lol...

Well, in this days people ignored the and sometimes, and womes say "Obrigado"(masculine) and not "Obrigada"(feminine)

A REAL AND BIG diference between portuguese and spanish is the feminine and masculine.

Portuguese:

One woman is "Ela"
Two women is "Elas"
One hundred women is "Elas"
One billion Women is "Elas"
One billion women and one man is "Eles"

At least 89% of portuguese words are masculine. O carro(The car). O homem(The man). O sangue (The blood)-In Spanish is the inverse, the most words are feminine. Example:

La Sangra (The Blood)

Belive, I want a equal to "The" in portuguese, but we don't have any neutral pronouns.
Light Novel Project
Spoiler! :
Current Working:
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

I do know bald is feminine. Caraca... Or something like that...

I think is because womens right still wasn't fully established there in Brazil like here in america. Example Brazil has way more house wives than here in america. At least I assume so... Anyways going to bed...
1,550/3,400
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Khaleel wrote:Belive me, it's something awesome. I have a average bible knowledge, but i feel a necessity to study the others religions to, if don't understand, at least, respect.

Layman...A Lawyer?
Khaleel, if you want to talk about the Bible and religion, I would be more than happy to do so, but this is not exactly a good place to do so. If you want to carry on more, feel free to PM me.

A "layman" is an average person with no special position, rank, or otherwise. In simple terms, they are your "Average Joe." So, they are not necessarily experts that everyone calls on every day.

As for the Portuguese, could you perhaps give us some help on pronunciation? For example, could you please give English equivalents of how the vowels sound? Are there any "weird" consonants? Also, what are the rules about where the accent(s) is/are placed in a word?
rock96
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rock96 »

Native Language: Russian
Other langues you know: English
Someday i will learn: Japanese, Korean... Kazakh (yes, I don't speak Kazakh)? O___o
I can understand some words of: Japanese, Kazakh, French, Ukrainian, German.

Something like that. Need to learn some more languages...
BTW, guys, do you want to know something about Russian and Kazakh (I'm quite well-versed in theory than in speaking)?
Kadi - hero we don't deserve.
Honorable mention for moderating and translating Campione, editing Gekkou and Hakomari.
O White Knight standing sadly amidst hordes of filthy plebs, return to us, please.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

ainsoph9 wrote: As for the Portuguese, could you perhaps give us some help on pronunciation? For example, could you please give English equivalents of how the vowels sound? Are there any "weird" consonants? Also, what are the rules about where the accent(s) is/are placed in a word?
I would if I could, but can't... I don't even know the alphabet in Portuguese.

rock96 wrote:BTW, guys, do you want to know something about Russian and Kazakh (I'm quite well-versed in theory than in speaking)?
I don't care much about those language, But I am interested in the culture. Could you please inform me :)
1,550/3,400

Return to “Music & Culture”