The Foreign Language Thread!

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

The Foreign Language Thread!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Seeing we are getting more and more foreign language speakers on the forum, unless someone objects, this thread is devoted to those who want to converse in those languages and/or talk about them. Have fun! :)

Some rules of this thread wrote:1. As Khaleel pointed out, it would be extremely helpful if people listed the languages they speak/read with at least some fluency.
2. If you do not feel comfortable enough with a language, no one is going to hold a gun to your head to force you to speak it here.
3. Please do not start randomly speaking in a language that NOBODY understands just because you want to do so. The idea is to promote conversation between at least ONE other person, not create a monologue here.
4. If only a couple, few, or several people know the language, translating your conversation into English for the rest of us would be nice, but it is not required.
5. Teaching people words, phrases, etc. of your language(s) is much appreciated, but please do not teach inappropriate words and/or phrases and/or mis-teach people on purpose for your own sadistic laughs. (i.e., do not teach people that the particle わ is the masculine way to assert yourself in Japanese, or "puto" is the polite way of saying "put" in Spanish.)
6. Talking about the culture surrounding the language is encouraged, but this is a language thread. So, please keep cultural comments to things that are linguistically linked and have significance.
7. Although this should be obvious, please do not bash other peoples' countries, languages, and/or cultures.
8. If English is a foreign language to you, you can use it, but it somewhat defeats the point of this thread, seeing that this is an English-language forum.
9. Rules may be added and/or edited at any time in the future to ensure that this thread runs smoothly.
10. STAY ON TOPIC!!!
For formatting purposes,
Native Language: Do Need to inform
Other langues you know: Do Need to inform
Someday i will learn: Don't need to inform
I can understeand some words of: Don't need to inform
Last edited by ainsoph9 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khaleel
Project Translator

Re: The Foreign Language Thread!

Post by Khaleel »

Hello people!

Hum, we i don't mind talking about other languages, because it's my favorite hobby study others cultures and ways of thinking.
Khaleel
Native Language: Brazilian Portuguese
Other langues you know: Spanish and English
Someday i will learn: German, Chinese
I can understand some words of: Italian, French.

If someone want a translation ENG>PT-BR or ESP>PT-BR, feel free to send me a PM.
"Unknown on the Internet, nor known for bishoujo gals. "
Light Novel Project
Spoiler! :
Current Working:
SAO: Volume 4-Volume 2. In this priority order.
Traduzindo para o Português!
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

uhh... one thread for all foreign languages? Seems like it'll be .... incomprehensible to most except those versed in 10+ languages or something. Wouldn't one thread for each language be better?
Khaleel
Project Translator

Post by Khaleel »

jonathanasdf wrote:uhh... one thread for all foreign languages? Seems like it'll be .... incomprehensible to most except those versed in 10+ languages or something. Wouldn't one thread for each language be better?
I believe that as many people from many places, a unique place for exchange information and learn languages ​​ would be really interesting. But, that can be really confusing if this or more threads don't have some rules...

Free places when you can learn another language you want...What you think?
Light Novel Project
Spoiler! :
Current Working:
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Well, it'll look like 4ch, but it doesn't matter.

Khan, to me, English is a foreign language. Can I use it? :lol:
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

As a couple of you have pointed out already, this thread has many potential problems. So, to try to rid ourselves of that, some ground rules would probably be wise at this point. If you have any objections to the rules below, please PM me. I do not want to derail the thread for that reason alone. :wink:

1. As Khaleel pointed out, it would be extremely helpful if people listed the languages they speak/read with at least some fluency.
2. If you do not feel comfortable enough with a language, no one is going to hold a gun to your head to force you to speak it here.
3. Please do not start randomly speaking in a language that NOBODY understands just because you want to do so. The idea is to promote conversation between at least ONE other person, not create a monologue here.
4. If only a couple, few, or several people know the language, translating your conversation into English for the rest of us would be nice, but it is not required.
5. Teaching people words, phrases, etc. of your language(s) is much appreciated, but please do not teach inappropriate words and/or phrases and/or mis-teach people on purpose for your own sadistic laughs. (i.e., do not teach people that the particle わ is the masculine way to assert yourself in Japanese, or "puto" is the polite way of saying "put" in Spanish.)
6. Talking about the culture surrounding the language is encouraged, but this is a language thread. So, please keep cultural comments to things that are linguistically linked and have significance.
7. Although this should be obvious, please do not bash other peoples' countries, languages, and/or cultures.
8. If English is a foreign language to you, you can use it, but it somewhat defeats the point of this thread, seeing that this is an English-language forum. :roll:
9. Rules may be added and/or edited at any time in the future to ensure that this thread runs smoothly.
10. STAY ON TOPIC!!! :D 8)
Khaleel
Project Translator

Post by Khaleel »

I assume this can be helpful. Aion, can you edit the first message and put that? :)

Native Language: Do Need to inform
Other langues you know: Do Need to inform
Someday i will learn: Don't need to inform

Khaleel
Native Language: Brazilian Portuguese
Other langues you know: Spanish and English
Someday i will learn: German, Chinese
I can understand some words of: Italian, French.
Light Novel Project
Spoiler! :
Current Working:
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Done.
Native Language: English
Other langues you know: Japanese, Spanish, Hebrew (in order from most fluent to least fluent)
Someday i will learn: Korean, Aramaic, Greek, Yiddish, and we shall see what else.
I can understeand some words of: French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Chinese, Yiddish, Greek, Aramaic, and Latin.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Native Language: Mandarin
Other langues you know: French, English
Someday i will learn: Japanese (someday)
I can understeand some words of: Japanese, Italian
Kira0802

Khaleel
Project Translator

Post by Khaleel »

Hum, Aion. In another thread you cited Esau and Jacob and seems to have a good religious knowledge, are you theologian or somenthig like? If yes, It's related to your job or is only a hobby?

Kira, Can you help me in a tentative to learn chinese? Of course, simple thing, i can not ask to teach me more complex thing, but at least the ultra basic, please?
Light Novel Project
Spoiler! :
Current Working:
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Native Language: English
Other languages you know: :lol:
Someday i will learn: :roll:
I can understand some words of: Japanese / Thai / Romantic Languages
I have people who will translate for me: Spanish / Tagalog
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Khaleel wrote:Kira, Can you help me in a tentative to learn chinese? Of course, simple thing, i can not ask to teach me more complex thing, but at least the ultra basic, please?
Heh...I don't know how to teach though. I learnt that as a mother language. Though you could start by practicing the 4 accents and read some small poems.
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Khaleel wrote:Hum, Aion. In another thread you cited Esau and Jacob and seems to have a good religious knowledge, are you theologian or somenthig like? If yes, It's related to your job or is only a hobby?
I am not a theologian, scholar, or anything of the sort. Just a layman. I do study religious material for various reasons, but I would not consider myself an expert or really all that knowledgeable.
Kira0802 wrote:Heh...I don't know how to teach though. I learnt that as a mother language. Though you could start by practicing the 4 accents and read some small poems.
kira, why not teach him some simple words and phrases using hanzu, transliteration, and translation? Start with the basics like basic manners. Then, start teaching him some vocabulary and grammar that is commonly used. Also, what dialect do you use? I know that there are thousands of them.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I speak Mandarin. The normal tongue.
Kira0802

Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Native Language: American English
Other langues you know: Brazilian Portuguese
Someday i will learn: Japanese, Latin, Spanish, Sign Language, Italian.
I can understand some words of: Spanish.
1,550/3,400

Return to “Music & Culture”