Moonlight Sculptor:Hosted

Discuss the Foreign Projects we have adopted here but are inactive

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel Translated?"

"Yes"
99%
"Not Really (Please give a reason)"
No votes
"No (Please give a reason)"
1%

Total votes: 452

yttam50
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Moonlight Sculptor

Post by yttam50 »

+1 to interrelated people! LMS is so good I'm seriously considering learning korean; even though my linguistic skills in any language other than english are on par with a chimps. (Or maybe worse?)
Arxos
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Arxos »

yttam50 wrote:+1 to interrelated people! LMS is so good I'm seriously considering learning korean; even though my linguistic skills in any language other than english are on par with a chimps. (Or maybe worse?)
Learning a language is surprisingly easy if you're actually genuinely interested in it.
I'm pretty much exactly like you, and have been learning Japanese for a while now and honestly it feels like I'm making better progress than I was on all those languages they taught at school that felt utterly pointless for me to know.

You need some good motivation though, learning a language just for 1 series (even if it's a very long one) can be a bit demoralizing. Personally I'm learning Japanese for a handful of different series.
yttam50
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by yttam50 »

@Arxos- Same for me, my last french test I had before I dropped it was a D.

I also tried to learn Japanese for a number of reasons but it was to hard for me so I want to try learning Korean (which is comparatively simple) for experience then go back to learning Japanese.

I also want to learn Korean (Hangul) for other reasons such as ID -The Greatest Fusion Fantasy- (Manhwa and books).
Johnji
Astral Realm

Post by Johnji »

I heard some buzz that the author of LMS had commented on the translations community´s effort? Anybody got info?
Arxos
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Arxos »

Johnji wrote:I heard some buzz that the author of LMS had commented on the translations community´s effort? Anybody got info?
http://blog.naver.com/wargod80 (there's some copy/paste protection on the site though so google translate doesn't work)

A post from someone on odd squad's site about it:
Just a slight heads up. The author of LMS has posted on his blog that he has noticed the recent online activity in regards to English translations of his novels. He has stated that although he does have an English distribution contract he will not pursue free translations until at least volume 5 is complete due to the fact that problems with the distributor have indefinitely held up printing after volume 1.

There is an addendum to this however. He will immediately take action if he see's anyone making a profit from the distribution of translated copies. Note: He is not saying that you cannot pay professionals to translate the novels, just that you can't charge people for the translated product. As long as this principle is kept however, he has said that he will not be too fussed, even going so far as to say that he might give official permission for translations of volumes past number 5.
Which someone replied to by saying Baka-Tsuki may be more interested in it now and the possibility of starting a joint project, though really there's hardly any Korean translators here...
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Teh_ping »

Arxos wrote:
Johnji wrote:I heard some buzz that the author of LMS had commented on the translations community´s effort? Anybody got info?
http://blog.naver.com/wargod80 (there's some copy/paste protection on the site though so google translate doesn't work)

A post from someone on odd squad's site about it:
Just a slight heads up. The author of LMS has posted on his blog that he has noticed the recent online activity in regards to English translations of his novels. He has stated that although he does have an English distribution contract he will not pursue free translations until at least volume 5 is complete due to the fact that problems with the distributor have indefinitely held up printing after volume 1.

There is an addendum to this however. He will immediately take action if he see's anyone making a profit from the distribution of translated copies. Note: He is not saying that you cannot pay professionals to translate the novels, just that you can't charge people for the translated product. As long as this principle is kept however, he has said that he will not be too fussed, even going so far as to say that he might give official permission for translations of volumes past number 5.
Which someone replied to by saying Baka-Tsuki may be more interested in it now and the possibility of starting a joint project, though really there's hardly any Korean translators here...
Why Baka-Tsuki? Oh why...

The only Korean translator I know of is Sharramon, who's doing college in US now. Trying to learn Korean through Running Man, though it'll take some time before I even reach adequate literacy...
yttam50
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by yttam50 »

Here are the Author's exact words:
Spoiler! :
Regarding translation of The Moonlight Sculptor -words from the author

English translation of The Moonlight Scultor was conducted and it was published in US market. However, it was only for the first volume of the story. Due to troubles the distributor there is in, publication of following story has not happened yet. Aside status quo, the first volume which was officially published has been on sale up until now in forms of e-book and make-to-order product.

It's already been three years since things stopped running, and recently I came to know how the following stories of the book is being translated and distributed. People who involved in this practice are from some US forum and such, after reading the first volume published.

I've read an article in the forum saying they should pay their own money for quick, precise translation. Also I found a lot of people worrying about if it wouldn't violate copyright-related rules. So I've decided to straighten things up by telling you, the readers about what I have in mind.

As of now, the Moonlight Sculptor published in US haven't reached the break-even point. In fact, there is no commercial profit from the book. And I doubt it would ever in the future. My guess is that official translation of the following story wouldn't happen in near future; not in three years at least. Therefore, I will not exercise my copyrights over the translated works of fifth volume of the story published in Korea. For now, I am saying that my promise will take effect until December, 2014.

Of course, the promise will stay valid under one condition; the readers translate the story with noncommercial intention and enjoy it.
If someone officially profit from the translated work by selling them over Amazon.com and such, it might make things difficult and complicated.

If people who enjoy translated versions of the story increase in numbers, I will extend the valid terms of my promise. Not to mention that I will agree to have people enjoy further part of the story in terms of promotion on Korean literature.
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Naeko »

Just point the author to mangafox or the other online aggregator sites.

As online manga reader sites go, I wish their ad revenue could be directed to
the manga authors to both encourage them and so that they can hire more
assistants. As far as ad revenue goes, one can only estimate from various
online monitoring sites such as indicated below.

Estimated earnings of online manga reader sites (revenue doesn't go to authors):

Mangareader.net: Daily Ad Revenue $4,008
via http://www.estimurl.com/US/www.mangareader.net

Mangafox.com: Daily Ad Revenue $3,357
via http://www.estimurl.com/US/www.mangafox.com

Mangastream.com: Daily Ad Revenue $2,937
via http://www.estimurl.com/US/www.mangastream.com

The above info obtained from a user post at the scanlator website for
A-Team at http:www.ipitydafoo.com
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

^That wouldn't ever happen...

These websites kinda run a business, so...
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Jasae Bushae
Astral Realm

Post by Jasae Bushae »

yay~ new chapter of moonlight scultpor! http://novel.oddsquad.org/p/moonlight-sculptor.html
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

it's been a while since the last update in oddsquad... (chapter 19 is updated at March 1 2012)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Oh my...

BTW, I don't understand something, is it legal to host licensed volume 1 of Moonlight Sculptor?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

Kira0802 wrote:Oh my...

BTW, I don't understand something, is it legal to host licensed volume 1 of Moonlight Sculptor?
Oddsquad did it. And it should be fine since the official translation stopped. It looks like the author gave permission to fans for translating up to volume 5. After that, maybe he will give permission to translate the later volume if he think it's good.
Vielfras
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Vielfras »

Kira0802 wrote:Oh my...

Hi.
The company that translated the first volume went bankrupt and is no more. This together with the authors approval of the fan translation means posting the first volume and all volumes up to five is legal.

There are also Russian translations of the first 17 chapters and chapter 18 is currently being translated.

I wanted to ask something and I didn't know where to post my question. Since it is related to LMS I decided to ask here.
There are currently two fan-fics being written about this novel. You can read them on the blog here:
I read the rules of the fan-fic subforum and understood that only fan-fics of series translated by Baka-suki are allowed.
I'd like to ask permission to share the two fan-fics here in hope of reaching a larger audience. The LMS community seems to be concentrated on the Jcafe forum topic and I wish to see it grow. Since your site is the biggest and most professional translation site I have found, and I am myself a fan of many of your translated projects, I ask you for help in spreading the word about this amazing novel.

I also haven't given up hope that one day, Baka-Tsuki will have the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor novel as part of their growing list of translations.
CutePurplebunnies
Astral Realm

Post by CutePurplebunnies »

Lord knows there's enough people doing TLs and summaries over there that you wouldn't be short of editors =.= Not the greatest novel ever, but not the worst either.

Return to “Hosted”