Translator's notes in the Prologue

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Captain
Astral Realm

Translator's notes in the Prologue

Post by Captain »

I appreciate and enjoy the translations of the Suzumiya Haruhi light novels. I appreciate your efforts Deskoh91 especially since you are busy with exams and all that. But if it is possible could you please refrain from saying slight spoilers in the "From the translator" part like:
Spoiler! :
1) A small tidbit in case you are not informed yet. This story arc actually ends at volume 10. This might explain the relatively fast release time between volumes 9 and 10, as well as the lack of the de-facto Author's Notes at the end of each book.
I saw that as soon as I opened the page and I had no warning as to that comment being there. I did not know that about this volume before I read that and I wish I hadn't read it because now when I read the chapters I am now aware of this fact, whereas before I may not have been aware of this fact until I had finally realised it by myself. I know I am being nit picky but I'd just like to share my thoughts, that's all. Thanks again for the translations so far!
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

This actually constitutes a spoiler?

=Smidge=
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

Not at all. It's like the first episode of an anime coming out and saying that the story will continue in the second. :?

It's not being "nit picky", it's wayyy beyond that.
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

actually I am just trying to be helpful since I thought people might wonder why does this book look so incomplete and lacks author's notes and stuff. :(

hmm, since this is a democratic society (I hope), I would get that one off if another person agrees with the threadstarter since at this moment it is the majority who do not think it is a spoiler. :)
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I'm with Smidge. I really didn't mind it; if anything, I found it helpful.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Me neither. I've been spoiled about Vol 9 being a two-parter before this novel was released :roll:
/me claws out throat and dies
fraye
Astral Realm

Post by fraye »

Same here...

:D Really people nowadays are so smart that what they say is beyond common sense.

Thanks for the translations... and I am certain that the things the translator has written at the top of the page aren't spoilers.

Good day and God bless.
Tongari
Astral Realm

Post by Tongari »

I really don't see it as a problem either. It might spoil that Vol9 will end in a cliffhanger of some sorts but that in no way affects how I'll enjoy it.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

GIN-SAMA!!!!!!

alright now that i got that out of my system... at least I know how logn this arc is going to last
Passer-by B
Astral Realm

Post by Passer-by B »

Dan wrote:Not at all. It's like the first episode of an anime coming out and saying that the story will continue in the second. :?

It's not being "nit picky", it's wayyy beyond that.
Actually, it's more like you thought you were watching the last episode of an anime, only to find out at the end that there's another episode after.

Or like when I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2, I didn't know there is going to be a 3. So when the ending comes around, I was like, "WTF!! NOOOO~~"

Then again, I didn't even thought about that when I saw the translator's note. Although now I feel like I missed out on the element of surprise.
76 SAN
Astral Realm

Post by 76 SAN »

You gotta look at it from the cynical point of view:

"Aww man, now I have to wait for two books to be translated?!"
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

i made an edit to your prologue, deskoh.

in the Japanese version, it seems that the line that made no sense in the Chinese version where Koizumi says that Kyon's description is in line with his memories says:

"Koizumi said while surveying the monitor in earnest,"

which makes sense because they're broadcasting the brigade trailer on a screen.
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

canthelpit wrote:i made an edit to your prologue, deskoh.

in the Japanese version, it seems that the line that made no sense in the Chinese version where Koizumi says that Kyon's description is in line with his memories says:

"Koizumi said while surveying the monitor in earnest,"

which makes sense because they're broadcasting the brigade trailer on a screen.
ok thanks =)
Captain
Astral Realm

Post by Captain »

Passer-by B that explains the sentiment that I had pretty well I think. It's just that for me, now that element of surprise is now lost that's all.

Yeah I know I am in the minority in this regard. I realise now that people are used to being told that things will have a sequel or things aren't going to end in this movie or book etc etc. Just that I usually tend to stay away from all that so that I can try to enjoy the movie or book in a different way I suppose.

I just felt like saying that's all. Thanks for completing the prologue by the way, deskoh91 :).
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

okay then. since a few thought the message isnt really appropriate, I have since taken it down.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”