Use of "Yuki"

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Use of "Yuki"

Post by ainsoph9 »

Asahina seems very mindful of the length of the skirt and continuously kept her legs closed tight, after that, seemingly satisfied, she would happily hug the serving tray and walk back to where the teapot is. Gradually, she finished pouring tea for all members. Although the world is huge, to be able to see Asahina in her waitress costume, an image that would make all her supporters salivate, should be for me and the Literature Club clubroom only. And Yuki reading books in the magician’s costume too. I should really take photos of them to preserve these memories.
In the second to last sentence of this paragraph, Kyon uses "Yuki" referring to Nagato, correct? When I read this, I was a bit surprised since he has never to my knowledge ever used that before. Did something change in their relationship, and I missed it or what? Almost every time Kyon talks about her, he calls her "Nagato" or "Nagato Yuki." Weird...
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I've always said that Nagaru Tanigawa has decided that he likes a Kyon/Yuki relationship instead of a Kyon/Haruhi. As the story progresses those two get closer and closer while Kyon and Haruhi get further apart
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Kyon and Yuki kinda have the Shinji/Rei thing going on......... but won't that make Haruhi Asuka...? Maybe Koizumi is Kaworu...??? But who would Mikuru be......? Misato...????? :shock:
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

Mikuru is clueless of course
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

At least not her future self :roll:
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

PDA, the likeable kind...it exists?!

Post by ainsoph9 »

I've always said that Nagaru Tanigawa has decided that he likes a Kyon/Yuki relationship instead of a Kyon/Haruhi. As the story progresses those two get closer and closer while Kyon and Haruhi get further apart
I don't know so much about this. I do agree that Kyon and Nagato do have a better implicit understanding of each other, but it is not a relationship that I think would be romantic. Nagato serves more of a role like a knight that protects their king (Kyon) when the king screws up royally. However, a certain friendship between them does exist. I don't think it goes past there. As for Kyon and Haruhi, it is kind of a love/hate relationship or a queen and her slave. You pick. Kyon does seem to be coming around concerning how he views her, but it is a painfully slow process. Haruhi has made many improvements as well, although this is a point of some dispute. Now, Kyon and Asahina-san...let's just let that go because we all know what runs through Kyon's mind... And as far as the Eva reference, interesting...
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

still that might explain why he's just calling her yuki now instead of Nagato or Yuki Nagato, somewhere along the way recently there was a subtle change as Kyon views Yuki as a closer friend now.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

I think deskoh made a mistranslation... I've never seen Kyon call her Yuki before. Sure he uses 'Nagato' without an honourific, but he does that to virtually everyone the same age as him (Haruhi, Koizumi, Taniguchi, Kunikuda etc.)

(sorry HolyCow :oops:)
/me claws out throat and dies
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

I think Haruhi alredy used "anata baka?" on kyon..... and i suppose the grown up Mikuru would make a excellent Misato :twisted:
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

HolyCow wrote:
(we'll soon be seeing huge orange tanks filled with Yuki clones :D )

You never know how many Yukis the IDSE keeps. Like the megaman lives :)
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

HolyCow wrote:Off topic: I think deskoh made a mistranslation... I've never seen Kyon call her Yuki before. Sure he uses 'Nagato' without an honourific, but he does that to virtually everyone the same age as him (Haruhi, Koizumi, Taniguchi, Kunikuda etc.)
regarding this, it seems a bit inconsistent. for example:

"Can I add something here? Last time around, didn't Yuki fly into outer space after being shot? What method did you use to bring her back to Earth?"

Yuki is indeed used here. and from what I noticed, this is the only exception so far. as for...

"And Yuki reading books in the magician's costume too. I should really take photos of them to preserve these memories."

it is a mistake and yes it is Nagato. guess I am confused by the above. I will get it changed today.

Haruhi refers to Nagato as Yuki.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

LOL Deskoh you erased my entire post with the 'edit' function :wink:

Mod powers FTW 8)
/me claws out throat and dies
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

HolyCow wrote:LOL Deskoh you erased my entire post with the 'edit' function :wink:

Mod powers FTW 8)
OH CRAP SO THAT IS WHAT I DID! gomenasai!

and I wondered what happened to my post. :oops:
akiha
Astral Realm

Post by akiha »

I've proofread the part, but I couldn't discover them. I do my best to be more careful.. :(

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... ldid=15553
The following quotes come from the right column(a newer edition of the prologue) of the page to which the preceding link is referring.

Line 599:
Can I add something here? Last time around, didn't Nagato fly into outer space after being shot? What method did you use to bring her back to Earth?
This is wrong. The older editon was correct. Kyon is referring to the role "Yuki" in "The Adventure of Asahina Mikuru", whom Yuki Nagato played, not to Nagato herself. "Yuki" is a villain wearing magician's costume, I thinik she hasn't any first name. He distinguished "Yuki" from Nagato, so it was legal that he used "Yuki" in the context. Also it hinted no implication about the relationship between Nagato and Kyon.

Line 770:
And Nagato reading books in the magician's costume too.
This is correct. It seems that deskoh91 just mistranslated it.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

huh that makes more sense, But i still say that those two are definatly much closer then when they first met

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”