Calendrical and Calendarial

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Calendrical and Calendarial

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I finally decided to go through and edit the prologue of chapter 9, and after a few minor comma and word changes, I came across this;

"Undoubtedly, it is spring right now. To the students, it is also a new beginning. It is spring from both the calendar and yearly perspective. My heart feels the same way as well."

Now the word calendar there is more correct as either Calendrical or Calendarial. The problem is, either one is correct. So, I am wondering which one the general reading population prefers.

I would prefer to go with Calendarial(as I have changed it to for now), but it Calendrical seems the more common, although no more correct, version.

So, what do you want for it?
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I thought just "calendar" was fine, but if you want the adjective form of it, wouldn't that be "calendaric"?
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

I personally prefer Calendarial, but both are fine with me.

P/S: Do the two words exist? My spell checker seems to be unable to identify them :?
/me claws out throat and dies
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Itsuki (obviously) wrote:"Undoubtedly, it is spring right now. To the students, it is also a new beginning. It is spring from both the calendar and yearly perspective. My heart feels the same way as well."
Well, when I first read this post, "calendarial" and "calendrical" both sounded wrong. I'm all for using $10 words in conversation, but those two have been out of circulation for some time. I was thinking it would be best to move "perspective" to the beginning of the phrase so it would be something like "from the perspective of both the calendar and the [time of] year", but then I realized that it's Itsuki speaking the line, and he's the kind that loves using borderline archaic words, so either "calendarial" or "calendrical" would work, with a slight personal lean towards "calendrical."

My problem now is with the other part of the conjunctive phrase, the "yearly" part. It just doesn't really fit right as phrased. Since he's obviously talking about the time of year, or the season, since nothing else would make sense, then why not use "seasonal"? It fits much better with either of the "calend--" words, as well.

EDIT: @HolyCow-- Yep, they're both real words (look at the bottom of the first definition). It's just no one uses them any more.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Ugh.

I think that Calendrical is the correct form in this case.

The older form of all these words seems to be with an extra 'a' i.e. Calendarical. They all seem to be correct, but some are more modern.

Either calendric or calendrical, therefore, is probably both correct and most modern.

It is spring from the calendric perspective.
It is spring from the calendrical perspective.

I believe Calendarial is the best form here.
1. Although archaic, it is certainly correct.
2. It is not out of Koizumi's voice
3. It sounds really cool.

I'm going to ask the two good English teachers at my school about this(if I remember). I would expect one of them will be able to help me(and tell me why).
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Beware the talking cat wrote:I think that Calendrical is the correct form in this case.
I thought about it and it was bugging me as to which would be the correct word in this case. Calendrical sounds like it's more descriptive, using the "-ical" suffix, as that usually connotes a "like a xxxx" definition, while the more generic adjective "-ial" or "-al" suffix in calendarial usually gives you the generic adjective "of or pertaining to a xxxx" definition. It's a subtle distinction, but enough to make a difference in this context, where calendarial (despite my initial thoughts) would be the correct word, if my etymological train of thought were correct.

So I looked it up. According to Webster's, calendrical is "of, relating to, characteristic of, or used in a calendar." Pretty comprehensive definition there. And sure enough, the definition for calendarial?

"Calendrical"

So not only do they mean the exact same thing, but calendrical is apparently the more common term (since it got the full definition).
McCritical
Astral Realm

Post by McCritical »

quigonkenny wrote:Well, when I first read this post, "calendarial" and "calendrical" both sounded wrong. I'm all for using $10 words in conversation, but those two have been out of circulation for some time.
Neither word is really out of circulation, they're just not used much in mainstream media. The average newspaper article is written at a sixth grade reading level. Thanks to AP writing, even legitimate adjective forms of a noun "sound wrong" these days.

Both words are alive and well in academia. "Calindrical" seems to be the word of choice in history and the humanities and "calendrial" appears to be used more in astronomy and the sciences. Since Koizumi's "explainations" seem to be more philisophical than scientific, "calindrical" seems to be the better word choice.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”