You know there's dense, and then there's Kyon.

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Setherzam
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Setherzam »

yeah, had Kyon left it as was with Yuki glomping him then Asakura wouldn't go knife mode on him. ON a side note, why is it always a knife? why not something more effective like a sniper or perhaps something like Gin-sama's sword?
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Yuki glomping him? Hardly. She was all about the innocent act and getting him to be all over her. Kyon is a pedophile after all, we can tell each other a mile away. :wink:
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Dan, that's not something I'd brag about.
Last edited by typhonsentra on Tue May 15, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

To dan it is....
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I have to make clear to everyone that Yuki is mine.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

Then you better bring back Asakura Ryoko so you two can "take care of" Kyon
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

Heh, Kyon's first date was with his little sister's friend, wasn't it?

Must like them young.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

O.o I just realized thats true!
andyscout
Astral Realm

Post by andyscout »

At the very least we know that Kyon is not gay. I forget which book it is, but he specifically states that he prefers boobs. (Okay, not so bluntly, but you get the point).

I think the he knows how Haruhi feels about him. And he's at least attracted to her (his first comment about her, he says she is a "striking beauty.") I think that her personallity just weighs a bit too much on him, so he doesn't quite reciprocate the feelings.

We know he cares about Haruhi, at least as a friend. When he's stuck in the Yukiverse (as some one here called it) he mentions several times that he'd like to see her again, dispite the way she can annoy him.

Personally, I believe that Haruhi's the best match for him. Mikuru seems like the little sister; he's always protecting her, and she looks up to him. Yuki obviously cares a lot about Kyon, but I see him as being more of a mentor to her; helping her out of her shell and everything. She also looks up to him, dispite how he often relys on her during a crisis.

I could easily see the books ending with Haruhi and Kyon finally getting together. Probably she would finally become aware of her powers and it would lead to some climax where she loses them. At which point Mikuru, Yuki, and Itsuki would probably have to leave. Haruhi would remind him of his advice to "just settle down with some guy" and then finally ask him out. Probably end the book on an up note with some kind of hint of the SOS Dan reforming or something like that.
I'd be satisfied with an ending like that, I think.

No. I never want the books to end! HARUHI FOREVER!!!!!!
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Kyon a pedophile?

Post by ainsoph9 »

Frankly, Kyon may be into the whole moe thing, but he doesn't come across as a lolicon type. If you are referring to his "date" with Miyoko as evidence, he was extremely embarrassed about it and did not even consider it a true date. Also, remember that "cute" in general is a big thing in Japan; I assume that Kyon would not be much of an exception to this.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I don't know, Dan said that he can sense the Lolicon inside of Kyon. Perhaps its like the gay guy theory, how gay guys can always tell who else is gay.... :roll:
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

lolicon and Kyon

Post by ainsoph9 »

I wonder how the whole sensing lolicon thing works...just kidding, but if that were true for everyone, then it would save the neighborhood watch some trouble in the case of the extremists of lolicon. Still, I fail to see Kyon as a pedophile; maybe I'm too naive. Kyon may be a whiny pervert, but he is not a NAMBLA-supporting pervert. He is an interesting character to try to figure out and piece together.
76 SAN
Astral Realm

Post by 76 SAN »

The cynical among us might say he's inconsistent.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

and the lazy ones (at least I do) say he's crazy.

There is no Haruhi or Yuki! he's just telling this all to his psychiatrist while in a padded cell and body restraints!

.... that would be the worst ending ever
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

crazy hypothesis

Post by ainsoph9 »

Or even better yet: he really died when Asakura tried to kill him the first time. Everything else is like one of those anime where the hero dies in the first episode. The reason why he is still telling a story is because he doesn't realize he is dead yet, which explains why he can afford to be such a pervert and not get smacked for it. It would also explain all of the paranormal activity as a sort of shock as he cannot come to grips with his death. Therefore, Kyon's soul is insane. The rest of the characters exist, but his relationship with them is all part of a delusion in the next world. The events after his death are really just a way for him to reconcile the difference between his belief in that as reality and what reality truly is. So, in the end, Kyon is an insane, dead pervert. I know this is really crazy and out there. I'm just using my imagination a bit (too little sleep and too many exams).

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”