Question on Sasaki

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Who would like to do it?

I am more than willing to do it, but if someone else is already working on it, than I will refrain from doing so.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Zalthers
Astral Realm

Post by Zalthers »

I'm not doing it! (jerk thumb motion) I still got something to do in Future Project Suggestions!
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I'll give it a try. If I come to one I can't do, I'll revert to using a subject name that doesn't reveal the gender.
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

I alredy done it....... but some of them just don't really sound right :?
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Yeah, I saw that. I corrected a few that you missed, and re-worded a few others. How does it look? If any are still a bit hard to read past without getting stuck on the wording, post them here.
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Looks pretty good, but those seem's kinda off.....

Haruhi widened her eyes. Sasaki, slightly shooked head and explained.
I edited this one, but it just sound awkward no matter how i put it. :?
At this moment, I noticed Sasaki stepping out for half a step with lips curled into the shape of a crescent, revealing a smile and stretching out a hand, wanting to shake Haruhi's hand it seemed.
Feels sort strange to me, maybe it's just personal prefernce or something.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Haruhi widened her eyes. Sasaki, slightly shooked head and explained.
How about this then?
Haruhi widened her eyes. Sasaki's head shook slightly then my former classmate began an explanation.
At this moment, I noticed Sasaki stepping out for half a step with lips curled into the shape of a crescent, revealing a smile and stretching out a hand, wanting to shake Haruhi's hand it seemed.
At first I was going to write this, but the above felt more correct to me. Something about "seemingly wanting" feels really off.
At this moment, I noticed Sasaki stepping out for half a step with lips curled into the shape of a crescent, revealing a smile and stretching out a hand, seemingly wanting to shake Haruhi's hand.
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

I guess this one is ok then.
Haruhi widened her eyes. Sasaki's head shook slightly then my former classmate began an explanation.
This last bit still seems off.... i'm thinking it would be better if it's like this.
Haruhi widened her eyes. Sasaki's head shook slightly then my former classmate begins to explain.
or
Haruhi widened her eyes. Sasaki's head shook slightly and explained.
Still not really sure about it though.

One more thing
Sasaki sure moves quickly. I stared at the back of my old buddy blankly for a while till it disappeared before turning back.
I think using "former classmate" is better than "old buddy", since "old buddy" make Sasaki sound like a guy.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

magus wrote:
Haruhi widened her eyes. Sasaki's head shook slightly and explained.

One more thing
Sasaki sure moves quickly. I stared at the back of my old buddy blankly for a while till it disappeared before turning back.
I think using "former classmate" is better than "old buddy", since "old buddy" make Sasaki sound like a guy.

I tried that which you wrote, but it feels like "Sasaki's head" is explaining instead of the girl herself. So I put in "classmate".

And I was hoping for buddy to sound guyish, now it'll be an even bigger suprise when a reader finds out Sasaki is a girl! :D
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Yeah, the head thing is what's being bugging me too. :lol:

I guess using the word buddy would suprise the readers better, but it don't really go with the whole gender less theme. You just automatically think of guys when you hear buddy...
Elkin
Astral Realm

Post by Elkin »

But if we use the word 'buddy' it may ruin the later revelation that Sasaki wasn't Kyon's girlfriend. Well, it's been hinted at before but only after Koizumi's statement do we properly learn of it.

And perhaps "Sasaki's head shook slightly and an explanation was given"? A little long-winded...
Natsuke
Astral Realm

Post by Natsuke »

Pardon my interruption. *coughs*

How about

"Sasaki shook her head and began to give an explanation."

and (since I don't have a rough copy don't hurt me):

"At that moment, I noticed Sasaki stepping out for half a step, revealing a smile with lips curled in the shape of a crescent and stretching out a hand, seemingly wanting to shake Haruhi's (hand)."

I used parenthesis on "hand" because I didn't know if it was already understood she wanted to shake her hand, or people would just take it the wrong way, pull a 180 and think "omg what did she want to shake?!?!?"

*bows* I apologize for intruding.

EDIT: I just realized how long ago these posts were... >.>
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I think that sound ok.

As for the hand part, if your not sure, its always better to add it in.

while its for native english speakers, its always good to make it clear, (because Native english speakers are worse then foreign students English) so unless it specificially crucial for the plot that it should not be clarified, put it in.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

I thought it was pure genius about not mentioning her gender until koizumi makes the comment lol.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Natsuke wrote:"Sasaki shook her head and began to give an explanation."
Magus and I were trying to avoid letting the reader know Sasaki is a girl, so we can't use "her".

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”