So which one is the real Sasaki?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

HAL9000
Astral Realm

Post by HAL9000 »

:? Wasn't the novels the source for all of the episodes? And Disappearance would make a perfect backbone for season 2, just like Melancholy did for season 1. It's just this latest Anti-SOS arc that's been somewhat fluffy in terms of pacing.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

HAL9000 wrote:And Disappearance would make a perfect backbone for season 2, just like Melancholy did for season 1. It's just this latest Anti-SOS arc that's been somewhat fluffy in terms of pacing.
I think it's pretty much a given that Disappearance will be the backbone of S2, considering the subject of the little promo video they did a while back was Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, which is the logical lead-in for Disappearance.

As for The anti-SOS arc, keep in mind that that's only half the story of volumes 9 and 10, with the slider introduction being the other half. When you split up two stories, each told over the same amount of in-story time, into two books, yet tell both concurrently (so that only the first half of each story is told), there's bound to be the appearance of some "fluffiness."
Marina2
Astral Realm

Post by Marina2 »

Is it possible that they are going to make Season 2 with 26 or 52 EP? (I know it's rare for Kyoani to make 52 ep but if they can do 26 ep now why don't they try to make 52 ep?)

With that vol 9 and 10 maybe in season 2.

P.S. Well, It's just my hope.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

I don't think a single season can be that large.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

That depends on the definition of a season. A season is normally defined, to my knowledge, as 13 or 26 episodes. Since the number of episodes depends on the number of weeks in a year, you can have quarterly or semi-annual series. However, for series that go over 26 episodes, the length of the series is anyone's guess. It depends on how much filler exists or when the mangaka/anime producer decides to stop producing the anime. That is why you see a lot of anime series get cut short, aside from the funds/ratings problem. In the case of Haruhi, I would argue that they could make a long series like that, but I think that the quality may suffer for it. It would be like adding too much water to the lemonade. It would lose its flavor, unless additives would be put in to counterbalance that effect. Yet, adding additives in this case would amount to filler, which I believe would be wrong to do. It screwed over Naruto and Bleach; it will screw Haruhi up as well.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Marina2 wrote:Is it possible that they are going to make Season 2 with 26 or 52 EP? (I know it's rare for Kyoani to make 52 ep but if they can do 26 ep now why don't they try to make 52 ep?)

With that vol 9 and 10 maybe in season 2.

P.S. Well, It's just my hope.
Unless they want to add a lot of anime-only content, I don't think we're going to be seeing a 52-episode run of Haruhi until we're at least a couple books beyond 10. Without including 9 or 10, the non-adapted remainder of the novels works out pretty well to 26 episodes. If you split that into one set centering around Disappearance (Vol 4) and one centering around Intrigues (Vol 7), which is what I think they'll probably end up doing, you can make two roughly 13-episode seasons which stand on their own about as well as the original anime run did with 14 episodes. That leaves 9 and 10 to adapt into a single 13-ish episode season, which makes sense, considering they're basically one (two) big long (intertwining) arc(s).

There's plenty of discussion of this over in the Animesuki forums under the "Second Season of Haruhi Suzumiya" forum, most of it by people who've thought a lot longer and harder about this than I have (although I do put in my own two cents here and there).

Edit: How did we go off on this topic again?
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

given the style of work of Kyoto Animation (the studio behind the SHnY anime adaptation) and the potential of the franchise at this moment, I think it is more likely for a 13 (or slightly more) episode run.

they would not want to use up most of the materials they have now and have very little for a possible third season. (true, by the time the third season comes there would be more material, but still...) and having two major arcs within a season just seems too good to be true (to me at least).

KyoAni also does not have a history of putting out long series, with Lucky Star being one of their first running for 26 episodes. I would rather they give me quality than quantity. look at bleach and naruto. so what if they keep running, fans are complaining (me included) at the lack of quality and the amount of fillers.

also, leaving a cliffhanger right before the story of Volume 7 (and thereafter the related stories of Volume 9 and 10) will drive the anticipation to a even more feverish pitch.

above is just my two cents. as a fan, I would be elated if the second season is a 26ep run anyway. :lol: it is just the logical side of me thought it would be unrealistic for that to happen.

oh yeah, what is the topic again? :oops:

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”