The rival entity's name

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Tengai Ryouiki sounds pretty good to me, but 'Canopy Domain' just sounds weird.

This is probably one of those terms that sound cool in one language, and sound horrible in another... I personally splitting 'Ten' and 'Gai' to form something like 'Sky-clouding Domain', but maybe that's just me.

Other suggestions include:

'Heaven Towering Domain'
'Looming Heaven Domain'
'Heaven-clouding Domain'

What do you think?
/me claws out throat and dies
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Sky/Heaven Dorming Domain?

I can't a good word for the 蓋 part.......... we can always use cover or lid for it but it judt sounds........... corney :roll:

I would vote 'Looming Heaven Domain' btw
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

magus wrote:Sky/Heaven Dorming Domain?

I can't a good word for the 蓋 part.......... we can always use cover or lid for it but it judt sounds........... corney :roll:

I would vote 'Looming Heaven Domain' btw

sounds too close to "Loony Heaven Domain"

:roll:

"Sky/heaven" "Resident/Dorming" and "Domain" have alot of potential.

gimme a few hours to think it though and i'll post back with some suggestion.

when we get a nice alternative list, time to go to the polls! power to the people!

or something like that. :p
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

How about 'Sky/Heaven Obscuring Domain'? Instead of cover, I think Obscure would seem like a better name.
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

...and so in the meantime I shall stick to Canopy Domain in my translation and perform any editing works later?

anyway, just to add my bit. since most translators here work from chinese, what they put in chinese is:

天盖领域

which is er, the same. zz.
Natsuke
Astral Realm

Post by Natsuke »

Does it have to be heaven? It technically just means that this "domain" is above the skies so you can probably get away with just using "Space"

So I'd try for "Macrospatial Scanning Domain"

I used "scanning" since it probably does what the Data Entity does and gathers data, but they "scan" that data. And a Domain can also mean something internet-wise, like a site domain. And in a site you scan multiple traces of data to view the entire site.

To be honest I got scanning when finding similar words for "Canopy" and a word similar in definition was "screen." I remembered "Screening" in an airport and thought "scanning."
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Well since its a nickname of sort, I think that Tanigawa is trying to make it un-technoish, unlike the IDSE or the MQCE.
Natsuke
Astral Realm

Post by Natsuke »

Well a canopy covers something.

So why not the "Hidden Domain" lol
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Natsuke wrote:Well a canopy covers something.

So why not the "Hidden Domain" lol
Overused and kinda......................... Unoriginal x_x
Natsuke
Astral Realm

Post by Natsuke »

At this point, the story itself is so original Nagaru can get away with something like that >.>

And besides, it's a nickname. I'm sure we don't need a complicated nickname.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

canthelpit wrote:i edited my post above(it was spoilerized with a different message), i'm going to bed for now though =/ its 6 am here. im planning to kick up the pace a little on translation, so i should have a better opinion on what to call it tomorrow(seems like yuki is explaining the origin of the name, although it is not clear at this point if she is responding to something kyon may have said about her name or continuing her explanation), at which time i'll post again.

EDIT:well i read ahead a little, and have come to the temporary conclusion that canopy domain is the proper translation.
if you think about when you look north, due to the earth's curve there is an area you can't see. this area is what the IDSE is comparing the other faction to(metaphorically of course), if i am understanding correctly. pretty interesting analogy if you ask me.
Are we sure that 天蓋領域 isn't a play on words?

I know that 領域 means "territory" or "domain" (although I think the presumption that the author specifically means "domain" in the networking sense may be a bit...presumptuous). There's no reason to question that. It makes sense. "Canopy" doesn't make sense.

However, any otaku worth his salt knows that the Japanese language is full of homonyms, heteronyms, and other various types of related words just itching to be played with. For example, "tengai" doesn't just mean "canopy" (天蓋), it also means "horizon" (天涯). And I think we all know the correlation between "horizon" and the phrase I bolded out in the quote.

If it is a play on words (did Yuki make a funny?), unfortunately, it's not one I can see translating to English. "Canopy" and "horizon" just don't sound anything alike, and neither do any of their synonyms. So I suggest we just scrap any potential wordplay involved and just translate it as "Horizon Domain." With the implication being that's it's referring to the domain beyond the horizon.

Which would put it pretty close to Oz, now that I think about it...
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

天盖 refers to something about covering the entire sky. 领域 is something that is agreed upon as being a domain so we shall leave this aside.

in the chapter 2 translation, it is said that they "exist above the skies", so I think "celestial domain" will be a simple name that fits the purpose without sounding overly corny.

I guess the obscuring part isnt that important. after all it is trying to say that it "covers the entire sky" or something like that, and that exactly is what celestial means, at least according to some chinese folktales.

on second thoughts, it sounded kind of untechnological, but isnt that the feeling the author is trying to bring out considering it is a nickname?
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Yap.... Celestial isn't really jargon like and not that ominous either.... but it does fit in pretty nicelly. I woder if there's a jargon for birds view observation or something similar.
Cair Paravel
Astral Realm

Post by Cair Paravel »

aerial?
Natsuke
Astral Realm

Post by Natsuke »

I'm still sticking to the Space/Spatial part. Celestial, in my opinion, overrates the "rival entity" and places them on a higher pedastal than the Data Integration. From what I see they would still carry the same enigmatic human interfaces such as the Data Integration. To place them with the word Celestial almost makes them out to be Deities. As for chinese folktales, I don't think it's very good to be influenced by that during a translation. I'm not saying it's bad, but interpretation should be viewed in the perspective of the original author who is Japanese. Don't take what I'm saying at all personally or mean-spirited, cause after all I'm most likely overreading stuff again. That's my fault ^^;

Celestial's center/universal definition is that they are divine, which I think far exceeds that of what aliens should be looked at, at least at this point.

And whoever said "otaku"......

*twitch* >.>

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”