The rival entity's name

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

canthelpit
Astral Realm

The rival entity's name

Post by canthelpit »

Spoiler! :
The characters for the "rival" or "opposed" faction to the IDSE is
天蓋領域
or, Tengai Ryouiki, which seems to translate to something like "Canopy Domain." Nagato mentions it's a provisional name the IDSE has decided on for them.

How do we want this translated? Canopy Domain seems kind of nonsensical, perhaps there is a better translation for "Tengai" than "Canopy." I haven't yet gotten into why they're calling it that, so maybe "canopy" makes sense.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Huh? Didn't Nagato mention another name back in Volume 7? The Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence or something?
/me claws out throat and dies
an Engrish speaker
Astral Realm

Post by an Engrish speaker »

Spoiler! :
I dont know much about the flow and how Canopy Domain sounds, but when I read the original, I also felt 天蓋領域 odd and nonsensical. :)
However, as Nagato mentioned the origin of that name soon after she revealed the name, I could get it. So I think Canopy Domain will make sense. :wink:

Same situation as this occurs in Chapter 2. so i think you should have a talk about this with the translator of the Chapter 2. 8)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

HolyCow wrote:Huh? Didn't Nagato mention another name back in Volume 7? The Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence or something?
yes. At Baka-Tsuki we call it the

"Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence"

MQCE for short.

"Canopy" is a name of the ecological system in rain forest, which is a macro-scale, a complete unique system.

"ten" for heaven we translated as "Cosmic" and so on.

While i can't remember how we came to this English name, be assured its means more or less as "canopy domain" but made it sound more "futuristic" and "advance" with fancy alternative words, like the IDSE.
:P
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

nevermind then, if you all have agreed that that is the proper translation then i'll leave it at that.

was the name used in that chapter the same name I listed in my first post?

i will say that macrosomethingsomething is definitely a strange translation though =p that's nothing close to canopy. canopy can generally mean any kind of material that's covering an area. like, a truckbed can have a canopy. so i was thinking it had some kind of metaphorical meaning that hadn't been revealed yet, and "domain" was used in the computing sense.
Last edited by canthelpit on Thu May 24, 2007 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

oh really? i didn't know it was called something else.

Anyway, i don't think it needs a spoiler, anyone who didn't know what the name of the rival entity, but don't want to be spoiled, but STILL clicked on this topic, deserves to SPOILED.

after all, its a bit like going into a GUN SHOP with the name GUN SHOP on it, even though the person doesn't like guns, or know how to use, and when they get in, find GUNS, and get UPSET, because well...the GUN SHOP has GUNS. :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

i edited my post above(it was spoilerized with a different message), i'm going to bed for now though =/ its 6 am here. im planning to kick up the pace a little on translation, so i should have a better opinion on what to call it tomorrow(seems like yuki is explaining the origin of the name, although it is not clear at this point if she is responding to something kyon may have said about her name or continuing her explanation), at which time i'll post again.

EDIT:well i read ahead a little, and have come to the temporary conclusion that canopy domain is the proper translation.
if you think about when you look north, due to the earth's curve there is an area you can't see. this area is what the IDSE is comparing the other faction to(metaphorically of course), if i am understanding correctly. pretty interesting analogy if you ask me.
Last edited by canthelpit on Thu May 24, 2007 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

For some reason, back then, Nagato called it:

広域帯宇宙存在 (こういきたいうちゅうそんざい)

Kouikitai Uchuu Sonzai

Roughly "Broad Quantum Cosmic Existence", or "Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence" as we decided on back then.

Someone care to clarify? O.o
/me claws out throat and dies
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

yeah, i'll write again what i wrote before in summarized form.

what you just mentioned is the terminology the IDSE used to identify it in that chapter. now, the IDSE appears to have assigned it a name.

it is basically showing characterization of the IDSE, at least in a change in how the IDSE thinks of the other faction(nagato calls it "great progress"). if i were to make an analogy, i'd say the difference between calling the faction "Macroblahblah Existence" and "Canopy Domain" is like the difference between calling your classmate who runs fast "The existence that can run really fast" and "Robert." "Robert" still has a meaning, but it isn't actually intended to describe his functionality or categorize him as a new phenomena.

Especially in Japan, where everyone knows the meaning of their name =p as opposed to the West, where our name meanings usually are archaic or are based in Latin/Greek. So a name like "Canopy Domain" may seem more like a name to them than us. maybe that's a bunch of crap though, i dont think you'd ever use "ryouiki" in a name. either way, the above and below paragraphs are my analysis.

To be more particular, it means that the IDSE has given it a name more meaningful than "X existence" which more than describing what kind of thing it is, describes its major quality, and seems to show that the IDSE relates to it better now(Canopy Domain(think computing domains), as opposed to the IDSE domain). I.e., "there are "domains", they are the Canopy Domain and we are the IDSE Domain(they dont actually call themselves this, this is just used for illustration of a concept)." but the most important thing is just that the IDSE actually named it its own.

It seems that the IDSE is changing along with Yuki =p
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Well...... this is what yuki said...
Spoiler! :
『彼等に対する呼称《こしょう》が便宜《べんぎ》的に仮決定された』
So it's a nick name of a sort.

But it feels more like some sort refrence because....
Spoiler! :
『それは我々から見て天頂方向より来た』
It looks like 広域帯宇宙存在 is the official name 情報統合思念体 given to it's rival and 天蓋領域 is a nick........ because it's convenient. :?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Nickname for a rival civilization/existence/lifeform?

how kyonist.

:roll:

@Onizukademongto
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Seem's like yuki's boss give it a nick name because they know kyon is too lazy to use the proper name anyway >_<
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

essentially, magus' lines up with my own.

the original name("Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence") was a more like a zoographical classification, not a name to distinguish an individual.

let's say there was another identity which fit under the description "Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence." in distinguishing the two, i would assume that the one we know would still be called Canopy Domain, and in order to distinguish the other, it'd need a different name.

hope i'm not just adding words to an already understood concept =p
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

mind you, i do hope we find a similar but alternative name to "canopy domain" because lets be honest, thats does sound like a ridiculous name for a intergalactic tran-space entitiy....

:roll:

@Onizukademongto
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

agreed.

here are some words to work with:

as opposed to domain:
sphere(this is my sphere of expertise), front(attack on all fronts), realm(this is outside the realm of science), area, zone, territory.

as opposed to canopy:
covering(in the adjective gerund sense), umbrella... that's about it... overhead? umbrella is the only one here that isnt a little bit divergent.

something to remember is that the IDSE would probably name it in a manner that seems related to computing, and the name tanigawa gave it(tengai ryouiki) probably has this connotation.

ideas?

EDIT: I just wrote in a bunch more of my translation of chapter 3, which contains the part in which Nagato gives Kyon the MQCE's name. now we can probably use that to decide on a name, but until we do i've written it in as Canopy Domain.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”