The rival entity's name

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

i agree. lets leave out any religous implication, lets just keep it clean and scientific sounding. Just the way Yuki would describe it.

As for the word play,that sounds promising, i don't think we should demiss it so soon.

"Beyond the horizon" as in "Azure" and "empyrean", "Aerial" or even "cosmogonic"

"Spatial", "demarcation" or "terminus" is a good alternative to "horizon"

as for "domain",

other examples, "Sphere" , "Frame" , "dominion" , "Jurisdiction" or even "demense"

so if i was to pick one from each,

"Empyrean Demarcation Sphere" = EDS

"Azure Macrospatial Dominion" = AMD

"Cosmogonic Terminus Frame" = CTF

"Aerial Terminus Jurisdiction" = ATJ

N/B: Lol at AMD :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Jumpyshoes »

I thought Baka-Tsuki wasn't politcally correct . . . .
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Jumpyshoes wrote:I thought Baka-Tsuki wasn't politically correct . . . .

Depends on your interpretation of "politically correctness", at B-T the wikicommunism state.

Calling a nubcake a "nubcake" is acceptable, but calling a spammer a "spammer" is incorrect, and should be refer to as a "Spamorrorist".

Yet they just call them TGM.

so you see, politically correctness doesn't work.

unless you detain each every one of them, and send them all to labour camps to under go "re-education programmes for the benefit of the state"

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Ah . . . . I feel enlightened. Meh. I think the decision was correct though. So I can't complain. :?
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Hmhmhm.......... how about 3 words that basically means the same thing but of different lingual appliances?
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I like "Azure Macrospatial Dominion" the best
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Why is it a three-word phrase all of a sudden? I thought the whole point of the new name was to be a "nickname" or sorts, to take the place of the more unwieldy "Macroblahblah Something Whatsis Existence," and the original translation seemed fairly obviously to be two words, "Tengai" and "Ryouiki." No need to make this any more complex than necessary, as both these words have several single-word English translations, even more if you take into account the multiple kanji iterations of "tengai".

Of course, it's always possible that "tengai" is supposed to be an amalgamated word, maybe "heaven- or horizon-(something that begins with 'gai')." Any native speakers or translators with access to the original kanji (I'm on my phone browser right now) want to weigh in on this?
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Etherial/Ethereal Dominion. Clean, simple and right to the point. Points to the sky and out of this world......... :lol:
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

"Dominion" is good. Very good. I think it's perfect, in fact. It's a good synonym of domain/territory (ryouiki) and has a nice and subtle dark connotation.

"Ethereal" I don't really like. It's got too much of a "ghost" connotation, which I don't see Yuki using. We really need to use a word that follows from Nagato's and Kyon's conversation when she first gives him the name, and "ethereal" doesn't.

After reading the scene now (and nothing else of chapter 3, at least until my curiosity wins out over my will to read the book in order), I'm even more certain that this is an example of the author enjoying a play on words. "Canopy" and "horizon" are both pronounced "tengai" in Japanese. Since neither of the characters actually spell it out, I'm thinking that Yuki said "horizon" and Kyon heard "canopy." That would certainly explain his odd reaction when she said it and his confusion at her clarification (when she pointed at the horizon). And of course it's yet another chance to poke fun at Kyon's intellect, which is always welcome. Problem is, if that is the case, I don't see of any way to carry it over in translation without using "Canopy Domain" (goofy as it is, that being the point) and throwing in a footnote to explain the joke. Can any Japanese readers corroborate my impression of the scene?
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Well......... i don't know if it's a joke or something, but yuki did point to the north and said they are in the....... sky. I read both japanese and chinese ver and got the same result..................... maybe it's us that made this seem like a play-on-word? Although nagaru does have a pretty strong fascination with english. :?
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

I hope this nickname can sound much less cryptic, as a nickname should be, which is the intended meaning of the author.

using jargon or phrases exceeding three words just gives it a very IDSEish feeling all over again, which I think shouldnt be encouraged in this case.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well, i think it should not be encourage, if that was the point, of the double meaning, i can accept if it was kyon, who misunderstood, the meaning of the word, because that is so "kyonist".
Howeve,r if it wasn't you have to think about this way,

would you expect Yuki to say "Canopy Domain"?

We talking about Yuki, who has a tendency to use technical words?

and yes, i think i may of gone overboard with the three word phrase,
i suppose two will do, but i still think it should still remain scientific and yuki-like to give the impression to the readers that this rival entity is a WORTHY ENEMY for the IDSE to feel a concern over their survival.

And i don't think "Canopy domain" gives that same sort of presence.

I agree with the "Dominion", and i need more variety in this thread, i will be making a poll soon, once i complie a good number of alternatives.

but i think before that, we need to be clear, is it meant to be that "Baka" because of Kyon, or not?

@Onizukademongto
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

chill onizuka, not making personal attacks here. :)

I am just trying to emphasise that the name is not in a fully typical Yuki kind of language. if I were to put it crudely, it is like a nickname IDSE would give if they tried to sound more human.

nevertheless, I still agree that Yuki cant just say something like Canopy Domain, as you had pointed out.

thus, after making some comparisons, I think "Canopy Domain" should indeed be expressed in words that carry deeper meaning, however at a shorter length. (资讯综合思念体[IDSE] vs 天盖领域 ["Canopy Domain"])

that is the only point I am trying to bring across and I apologise if anybody felt offended by my previous, or even the current, response.
Natsuke
Astral Realm

Post by Natsuke »

Well when you think about it, Spatial and Horizon and Dominion are actually words that can be looked at as simple to Yuki. Spatial is literally understood as Space. It doesn't get any clearer than that and it's better that macro-whatever or whatever I even put.

Dominion, well, that's borderline. Domain, too. But if I were to think deskoh's thinking, I would think she's /still trying/ to make it simple but isn't really getting there. However, her attempts were noticed by Kyon since he talks to her the most out of the entire Brigade.

I think Spatial Dominion/Domain is as simple as it gets. It's literally an Entity (within a domain) from.. space. lol

Spatial Doman it is! least to me~
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Natsuke wrote:Well when you think about it, Spatial and Horizon and Dominion are actually words that can be looked at as simple to Yuki. Spatial is literally understood as Space. It doesn't get any clearer than that and it's better that macro-whatever or whatever I even put.

Dominion, well, that's borderline. Domain, too. But if I were to think deskoh's thinking, I would think she's /still trying/ to make it simple but isn't really getting there. However, her attempts were noticed by Kyon since he talks to her the most out of the entire Brigade.

I think Spatial Dominion/Domain is as simple as it gets. It's literally an Entity (within a domain) from.. space. lol

Spatial Doman it is! least to me~
I don't know about using "spatial." The kind of space "spatial" refers to is like "You're invading my personal space," or "He is very aware of the space around him," not Outer Space, which I think is the implication you're going for.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”