Haruhi theatre

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

roastedpekingduck
Astral Realm

Haruhi theatre

Post by roastedpekingduck »

First of all, I would like to clarify that I really do appreciate the work of the translator. If possible though, I would like to ask the translator to proofread his translations a bit more carefully if he can. I know that many people speak English as a second language, so I certainly understand if they didn't pick up on the errors. If the translator is a native speaker though, I would like to ask him to proofread and check his sentences a little more carefully. There were errors such as awkward wording, made-up words, missing subjects, fragments, and strange phrases that I was scared to correct because I was afraid that I'd might change the meaning.

I also understand that sometimes, translation from one language to another makes the sentence automatically incorrect. I'm not sure whether one is supposed to translate the phrase exactly as it is and leave it as a sentence, or make some minor modifications to make it grammatically correct.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

I also understand that sometimes, translation from one language to another makes the sentence automatically incorrect. I'm not sure whether one is supposed to translate the phrase exactly as it is and leave it as a sentence, or make some minor modifications to make it grammatically correct.
Since I am working on my third language (Japanese), I can say that often times Japanese does not translate well to English due to the vast differences in the culture and sentence structure. As such, despite the desire to make the translation as literal as possible, it is sometimes necessary to sacrifice the actual sentence and replace it with something completely different that would make more sense to the audience. Poems and metaphors usually fall under this category. As a translator though, usually how literal one wants it is up to their discretion and follows according to their experience and personality. Ergo, translation like language is a living piece of art.
tidalforge
Astral Realm

Post by tidalforge »

^ditto what he said

besides, it's a wiki after all. If you dont like what you read, why not edit it yourself? no doubt the english is a little spotty in some spots, but hey, thats what we're here for, right? to help in the editing.

although you'll have to be careful not to go overboard,
an Engrish speaker
Astral Realm

Post by an Engrish speaker »

Thank you for reading. :D
I'm the translator of Haruhi Theater act2.
sorry for errors and awkwardness in the translation. :(
I'm doing my best to reduce errors, but my English is not so skilled that I can point out the mistakes by myself, and I tend to try to convey the original meaning even if they may spoil the flow as I'm a native Japanese speaker.
If you find awkward points in my translation, please feel free to change them.

The more you correct them, the more I learn and the less awkward points are made.
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

I believe "an Engrish speaker" is a native speaker of Japanese, and thus it is understandable if he/she makes grammatical mistakes with his/her translations.

I suggest a translator or editor with an original copy proofread along the way just in case some heavier rephrasing had to be done.

great job despite being a non-native speaker of english, "an Engrish speaker" :D
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: Haruhi theatre

Post by onizuka-gto »

roastedpekingduck wrote:First of all, I would like to clarify that I really do appreciate the work of the translator. If possible though, I would like to ask the translator to proofread his translations a bit more carefully if he can. I know that many people speak English as a second language, so I certainly understand if they didn't pick up on the errors. If the translator is a native speaker though, I would like to ask him to proofread and check his sentences a little more carefully. There were errors such as awkward wording, made-up words, missing subjects, fragments, and strange phrases that I was scared to correct because I was afraid that I'd might change the meaning.

these things happen, but that is why B-T Editors are here to clarify things, and also for you, the readers to help.

if you are unsure about things in the script, and you are afraid to change the "meaning", the best advice we can give you, is to flag the problem, and bring it to either the discussion page for that script, or to the forum, requesting the translator to look into it, a little bit more detail.

while we would like to see the scripts a little bit more clear, and less awkward, please understand the more time the translator has to spend to find all these minor faults, the longer ,you, the reader will have to wait for the script.

And we all know, that no scripts is EVER 100% finished.

we always encourage our translator to publish there script, no matter the quality, because in the end, we, the readers will sort it out.

:wink:

Engrish speaker, if you are unsure about something in your translation, feel free to translate it "literally" it might sound awkward, but then at leased us English speaker can identify the English equivalent for you much more easier and quicker.

anyway, love this script.
shame i didn't get to read he first act.

I REEAAAALLLLY want to read it now..... :( :( :(

i wish...someone would do it.... *nudge*nudge*......oh...act.1 if only.....

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

You'll find Act 1 on Strato's page.

=Smidge=
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

an Engrish speaker:
Thank you for reading. Very Happy
sorry for errors and awkwardness in the translation. Sad
I'm doing my best to reduce errors, but my English is not so skilled that I can point out the mistakes by myself, and I tend to try to convey the original meaning even if they may spoil the flow as I'm a native Japanese speaker.

The more you correct them, the more I learn and the less awkward points are made.
I appreciate what the translators do here. I realize that every time someone translates a part of these novels they are giving up time that they could be using to do something else. Not only that, but they are do it for free. Having done some translation myself for school-related things, I can say that it is very time-consuming and sometimes tedious work.
roastedpekingduck
Astral Realm

an Engrish speaker wrote:Thank you for reading. :D
sorry for errors and awkwardness in the translation. :(

In that case, it's no problem. You're English is still better than that of many Americans after all. :wink: Do tell me if I have changed the meaning of some sentences.
roastedpekingduck
Astral Realm

I recalled that in the fantasy world those whom we had to visit automatically came to us while we were sitting around. We skipped various events that were supposed to happen, and only smashed up the demon lord's castle into pieces. It was like a story in which following chapter of the prologue was the epilogue. It was the failure that we didn't have even a single fight against the demon lord. If the things go the way as it is, we would repeat the same mistake. We must avoid that. We should be careful this time so much as to at least stand face to face with Mr. Big.

I was a tad confused with this sentence. "It was failure that we didn't have a single fight against the demon lord." Perhaps "We failed to have a single fight against the demon lord" will fit better? Also, I was a bit confused about "Mr. Big." Would "stand face to face with the big boss" perhaps be a bit better?
roastedpekingduck
Astral Realm

I also changed some sentences after that.
This was the original:
"Maximum warp, Kyon! 'Schismatrix', thrust ahead, full!"
Giving a unique name to the ship, she commanded me and I carry out the order without protesting.

I changed it to this:
"Maximum warp, Kyon! 'Schismatrix', full speed ahead!"
Having given a unique name to the ship, she followed by giving me commands. I carried out the orders without protesting.

I added "following" to help with the flow of the sentence to help connect the "giving a unique name to the ship" and "she commanded me." I set off I carried out the orders because the phrase felt like a new sentence.
roastedpekingduck
Astral Realm

"Because her hunch is beyond just a hunch, entering the realm of undoubtable prophecy and I've been already made to know, so much as even the death wouldn't let me forget, that whenever we head to where she points, we inevitably end up bumping into something queer, whether or not we hope it."
Is there anyway to change that sentence? I understand it, but it seems like the thing could be split into several sentences. Unfortunately, it's quite easy to change the meaning of the sentence as well.
roastedpekingduck
Astral Realm

Final question for a bit...
"Funk. The screen is covered with the sight that I feel sick. I should depict it crooked swirling day-glo pattern or something like the bizarre logo on the SOS Brigade site. Anyway, this is as expected of warp. I'm rather impressed by the view, which looks way similar to the the warping scene of an animation I saw when I was a kid."

Funk? I'm not exactly sure what that part means.
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

roastedpekingduck wrote:Final question for a bit...
"Funk. The screen is covered with the sight that I feel sick. I should depict it crooked swirling day-glo pattern or something like the bizarre logo on the SOS Brigade site. Anyway, this is as expected of warp. I'm rather impressed by the view, which looks way similar to the the warping scene of an animation I saw when I was a kid."

Funk? I'm not exactly sure what that part means.
"The screen is dispalying something funky and it's making me sick.
It should be like that....... i think. Anyway, i have to get the raws to double check the trans....... if i get around to it :lol:
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Smidge204 wrote:You'll find Act 1 on Strato's page.

=Smidge=
what? haruhi script on another site?

*peers from his B-T cage/rattle bars*

curse this attachment spell.....
:evil:

oh the sorrow, if only there was act.1 on B-T...... :cry: :cry:

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”