akiha's v9 QC

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

akiha's v9 QC

Post by the_naming_game »

I'm posting this on behalf of akiha because I happen to be feeling less lazy about posting today. (and I can write English faster.) Akiha has finished his QC of the v9 prologue, which can be found here:

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... 9_prologue

So any interested editors, please inspect, and direct any comments and questions to this thread.

Thank you!

Note that I will (probably) have little to do with this thread after this.
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
pxstg
Astral Realm

Post by pxstg »

Alright, here's my question from IRC. about the sentence we were looking at: does the original japanese say time travelers "waking up in the past" or "finding themselves in the past"?
akiha
Astral Realm

Post by akiha »

pxstg wrote:Alright, here's my question from IRC. about the sentence we were looking at: does the original japanese say time travelers "waking up in the past" or "finding themselves in the past"?
"finding themselves in the past". But I have something to say.

Here is the current edition of the sentence.
time travelers finding himself or herself waking up to the past
From a dictionary.
wake up to [wake up to sth] phr v
to start to realize and understand a danger, an idea etc
 ・It's time you woke up to the fact that it's a tough world.
I thought Deskoh91(translator) used the phrase. Maybe, in collocational term, English native speaker is much more familiar with "in the past" than "to the past", so the preposition is changed... Plus, assuming he/she used the phrase, I don't understand the meaning of the sentence well.
here is my rephrase attempt.
time travelers finding himself or herself waking up to the fact that he/she is in the past.
or more simply,
time travelers waking up to the fact that he/she is in the past.
Here is my attempt to translate faithfully the sentence in question from Japanese text. (I don't care which to use singular/plural. I leave it to editors)
ふと気づいたら過去に戻っていた巻き込まれ型タイムリーパーとか、
Time leaper who suddenly finds heself/herself in the past and gets involved in the incident
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

if I were to translate my copy literally:

"time travelers waking up and discovering themselves having traveled back to the past."

I probably rephrased that in haste without really thinking that much.
pxstg
Astral Realm

Post by pxstg »

Alright, I've changed it to the following:
time travelers waking up and finding themselves in the past
Btw, Akiha: since "time travelers" is plural, you wouldn't use "him/herself" since those are singular words.
akiha
Astral Realm

Post by akiha »

pxstg wrote:Btw, Akiha: since "time travelers" is plural, you wouldn't use "him/herself" since those are singular words.
thanks... I was careless...
akiha
Astral Realm

Post by akiha »

deskoh91 wrote:if I were to translate my copy literally:

"time travelers waking up and discovering themselves having traveled back to the past."

I probably rephrased that in haste without really thinking that much.
hehe. Don't worry about that. I don't care such a small mistake at all. I understand that translating from scratch is much more time confusing task than QCing. :D Let's cooperate for this nice project! :D

By the way, I have #baka-tsuki_QC_SHnY on irc.riozn.net for QCing. If someone want to contact me in realtime, visit it. Be careful that it is recorded and exposured to public. :roll:

[url]irc://irc.rizon.net/baka-tsuki_QC_SHnY[/url]
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

akiha wrote:Be careful that it is recorded and exposured to public. :roll:

careful now. don't encourage them! :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
akiha
Astral Realm

Post by akiha »

onizuka-gto wrote:
akiha wrote:Be careful that it is recorded and exposured to public. :roll:

careful now. don't encourage them! :roll:
just to check for my study of English... Can you realize my sentence implicitly mentions that you should not speak in this channel something illegal, namely, something which causes trouble if it is disclosed to public(e.g. pirate softwares, downloading licensed anime and manga, etc...)? It is likely I so much moved information from the sentence to the context in terms of English. That is Japanese native speaker's inevitable fate.. :(

If someone has time, please rephrase my sentense to be more understandable one implying this connotation....
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Be careful, because everything on this channel is recorded and shown to the public.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”