About the student nomenclature in Cpt.2

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

magus
Astral Realm

About the student nomenclature in Cpt.2

Post by magus »

I think we could use primary, intermediate, highschool and university student for this sentence
Spoiler! :
「キョン、ふと疑問に思ったのだがね。小学生、中学生、高校生、大学生というが、どうして高校生だけが高学生じゃないんだろう。これは考えるべき問題ではないかな」
Since highschool would be the only one with the word "school" out of the four...... what do you guys think? :?
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Where I live, we use elementary school, middle school, and high school. Junior high can also be used for middle school (where I live). I think people will understand if you do it that way though.
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Jumpyshoes wrote:Where I live, we use elementary school, middle school, and high school. Junior high can also be used for middle school (where I live). I think people will understand if you do it that way though.
Yeah..... elementary student would fit too, but middle student just don't sound right :? . I'm trying to omit out the school part from the other three so highschool would be the only odd one out.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

That's why I said Junior High . . . . Meh. No one ever reads my comments anyways . . . .
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Jumpyshoes wrote:That's why I said Junior High . . . . Meh. No one ever reads my comments anyways . . . .
I got that part >_>........ i just thought Jr.high sounds too similar to highschool.....
Last edited by magus on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Hmm . . . You're right. I don't think there are many other terms for Jr. High . . . .
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

we use primary school, secondary school, junior colleges and universities. this is even more different.

just a slight OT. continue your discussions
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

the old system we used:

Primary -> Secondary -> (Six Form) College -> University

these days it's:

Primary -> Secondary/College -> University

And Americans always gape when i tell them my little 15yr cousin goes to "College"

;)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

:lol: Deskoh, do you even sleep?

In single day you've added more than your compatriates have done in the past two months combined. And that's after having already translated the entire prologue, crazy stuff man.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

onizuka-gto wrote:the old system we used:

these days it's:

And Americans always gape when i tell them my little 15yr cousin goes to "College"

;)
That's cause you Brits are insane. And have a sucky army . . . .
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Huh, so you guys use college instead.......... hmmm, it don't really stand out that much though :?
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

typhonsentra wrote::lol: Deskoh, do you even sleep?

In single day you've added more than your compatriates have done in the past two months combined. And that's after having already translated the entire prologue, crazy stuff man.
I have plenty of sleep. 6-8 hours daily in fact, even during the translation period. :lol:

I translate while I read. so I will try to translate faster so I can read faster too. of course this means I have to turn back and make corrections once in a while, but if I read through first would make translating a chore (for me at least).

whats more is that I am translating from Chinese, my mother tongue, to English, the "official" language in my country, both of which I am pretty familiar with. so I guess that helps things too.

one last thing is that I think I have plenty of time during the holidays. :oops: I completed the 50% of C2 with an entire free day.

not being snobbish here, just sharing my thoughts. after all I am not really that fast too, considering I took nearly a month with each chapter.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Jumpyshoes wrote:
onizuka-gto wrote:the old system we used:

these days it's:

;)
That's cause you Brits are insane. And have a sucky army . . . .
military size and effectiveness determines how good a countries education is, now?

if that was the case, Taiwan, Singapore, Australia and Canada must have the BEST education, EVAR.

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”