So Kyon really was like Haruhi at one point.

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

typhonsentra wrote:So can we expect more incites with some of the upcoming updates? :o
Sadlly, she have almost no apperance in chp3 :?
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

no, it is just my prediction :) i haven't read further than i've translated.

well, to be more accurate, my prediction is that she will probably undergo some kind of change(authors who introduce characters with viewpoints they disagree with tend to change the viewpoints of those characters to be more in line with their own in the process of explaining why the author disagrees), and i wouldnt be surprised if the reason she thinks like that follows an expected pattern(i.e. trying to deny her emotions, maybe due to a past event, or something).

if tanigawa just has kyon explain his POV on it, then i'll have been wrong =/ but i doubt sasaki thinks like that anymore after what's been revealed to her, it should become an issue that's covered at some point--if not in v9, then probably v10, which i've heard is a followup.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Two obsevations:

"A long time ago, there was a person who said so. It was a very thought provoking statement, so I still remember it. You probably want to say something crazy like, 'well if love didn't exist, we couldn't make kids or marry!'"

The above could be read as either her suggesting the two of them or society as a larger whole. Is there anything in the original text that would clarify better or was it purposely left open to interpretation?

Her two black eyes that sparkle nicely with twinkle, among her other well-arranged features, stood out especially. If I were to use a roundabout and questionable term to describe her instead of the above, that would certainly be "attractive", I think.

To test her, I tried telling her that while I had just thought of it.

"To test her"? Nothing's wrong with this but the idea that he'd openly flirt with a girl seems pretty out of character for him, don't you think? Even with all his pining for Mikuru I don't think he's ever said anything like this to her face.
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

for the first one, the verb used is intransitive, and no agent is given, so I should change it to "kids couldn't be made". thanks for pointing that out, it could imply something that tanigawa didn't mean. and if you have a better suggestion, since that flows kind of odd, shoot.

for the second, he has said "i think you look better with glasses off," "you look great in a ponytail," and such to various females. i imagine when he was a little kid he might have tried it out of curiosity, especially to someone he claims not to have had romantic feelings for. you definitely have a point though, i do think it's a little odd.

ah, my translation implies something i didnt mean it to, and i'm going to change it in a minute. i'm not sure if he said he thought she was attractive. it's equally possible that he said "do you think you are attractive?" that'd make more sense to me with her reaction, and he didnt say exactly what it was he said. i'd make the "he's younger in this anecdote" argument, but in reality it was only one year before the start of the series or less.

changed it to "To test her, I tried saying something exactly as I had thought of it." i would use "sincerely", but i don't think it's implied in the original that he said he thought she was attractive(i think it's simply left as a possibility).

if you see anything else, please point it out.
Last edited by canthelpit on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

Regarding the physics question, my understnding has always been that the vast majority of the open space is between the atoms. It's true that atoms are almost all open space, but the electrons revolving around the nuclei of those atoms are revolving with such speed (approaching the speed of light) that they're effectively going to be in the way if you try to send something through. This is especially true with the heavier elements, where you may have close to 100 electrons floating around the nucleus. This is why scientists use lead and gold shielding for radioactive particles, since in such dense metals the individual atoms are packed close together.

Regarding the translation issue, since we all agree that Sasaki is so smart, and therefore "electrons" is probably not the right word, may I suggest "subatomic particles"?
typhonsentra wrote:Even with all his pining for Mikuru I don't think he's ever said anything like this to her face.
Remember that Kyon has described her as someone that the boys at school see as somewhat unattainable. While circumstances have obviously conspired to bring them a level of social proximity, he never has said he feels any different. No doubt with his alpha level of self-deprecation he's convinced himself he has no chance. The events of volume 4, even though that wasn't really Mikuru, certainly didn't help.
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

about the subatomic particles thing, i'd thought of that and decided to stick to the text("denshi" definitely does mean electron, and would not refer to quarks). but if people would prefer her simply saying "subatomic particles", or perhaps "electrons and other fundamental particles," then there's no reason for me to keep it that way.

this is my final version of the "test" thing for now.
"As a test, I tried saying something exactly as I had thought of it."
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Kyon needs to just hurry up and get with Haruhi...then I will be slightly happy...of course I really want to read this stuff....is volume 10 out yet?
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

nope-zeh, still not out. If anyone tells you it is don't listen to them, it should have been out but it was delayed
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

physics suggestion..

Post by shichinanatsu »

i think i have something that can help with that issue concerning sasaki's physics lecture to kyon..

i think she's referring to quantum tunneling, a phenomenon wherein individual particles are observed to 'pass through' what would normally be an impervious barrier.. i think she's trying to say that the probability of one particle - say, an electron - 'passing through' an insulator like rubber is quite high, but the possibility of a group of particles - say, a basketball - to 'tunnel through' a concrete wall is well nigh impossible; the possibility of a mass exhibiting quantum tunneling is inversely proportional to the number of particles in said mass..

(gack.. i just sounded like a nerd..) anyway, that's what i wanted to share
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

quantum tunnelling/coupling exists.

because it has been scientifically recreated twice successfully.

second time, the particles were i believe a centimetre apart, in isolated chambers with a thick metallic solid around them. and they both react and spun as if they were connected.

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Tunneling? lol That happens everyday, it's not something difficult. One just needs a high enough energy photon/particle to get through the potential barrier.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”