I'm seriously doubting Kyon's normalcy XD

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: I'm seriously doubting Kyon's normalcy XD

Post by quigonkenny »

shichinanatsu wrote:hmm.. though i highly think this is just me looking into things too much, i managed to sniff out some evidence for kyon's ability to establish a harem..

this one's an excerpt from v4's epilogue, the other's from v7's chapter 2..
Spoiler! :
I began to lapse into self-pity and made a cool pose. It didn't matter if someone saw me, since no one would bother looking anyway. As I was thinking that way, I exchanged glances with an anonymous high school girl who was walking by. Very quickly she turned her eyes away and scuttled off.
Spoiler! :
"Like that, when I see Mikuru and Haru-nyan and Yuki-ni and Koizumi-kun and Kyon-kun, I think it's lots of fun. I like the appearance that everybody's busy! Apart from that, I also like the me standing off to the side watching you!"
any thoughts?
Yare, yare. Too much over-thinking here. The first one is just the oft-used "caught doing something stupid" scene that you see in any number of comedic settings. Kyon is "making a cool pose" as he assumes no one is looking at him, only to have someone look at him. The fact that it's a girl is only to make it more embarrassing. You have to think visually while reading these novels, as Tanigawa writes very visually.

As for the second, Tsuruya-san is a bit like Kyon, and by extension us. She is the perfectly normal observer, silently sitting back and enjoying the show while not worrying about getting involved. If he wasn't already involved, Kyon would be in exactly the same situation. The fact that she has Batman levels of observational ability and logical reasoning are just to make her that much more the badass.
Last edited by quigonkenny on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote: Yare, yare. Too much over-thinking here. The first one is just the oft-used "caught doing something stupid" scene that you see in any number of comedic settings. Kyon is "making a cool pose" as he assumes no one is looking at him, only to have someone look at him. The fact that it's a girl is only to make it more embarrassing. You have to think visually while reading these novels, as Tanegawa writes very visually.

As for the second, Tsuruya-san is a bit like Kyon, and by extension us. She is the perfectly normal observer, silently sitting back and enjoying the show while not worrying about getting involved. If he wasn't already involved, Kyon would be in exactly the same situation. The fact that she has Batman levels of observational ability and logical reasoning are just to make her that much more the badass.
You need to post more often.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by shichinanatsu »

hmm.. though tsuruya-san's knowledge of haruhi-verse parallels ours (as readers), she still is inside it, unlike us who are watching things through the 4th window. though unapparent, tsuruya-san does know a lot (v5's Yukiyama Shoukougun, v7 sans prologue), and yet she still maintains this cool pose of hers; if another person were to take her place, i'm sure that person might just get in into his/her head to mess with things a bit, if only to add more fun to the scenes.

koizumi's Agency has admitted that tsuruya-san (and the tsuruya clan by relation) is an important person, someone they investigated on like kyon, yet who seems to be very keen (unlike baka kyon), that they undertook precautionary measures when dealing with her - in lieu with their objective of maintaining the status quo.

and, quigonkenny, i must admit i haven't thought about that 'caught doing something stupid' scene of kyon, gives me another way of seeing things.. (meant in no sarcastic way whatsoever)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”