I'm seriously doubting Kyon's normalcy XD

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Re: I'm seriously doubting Kyon's normalcy XD

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

shichinanatsu wrote:right, might as well try to 're-rail' this thread; quantum-boxed cat isn't here so..

kyon has a growing harem with him totally unaware of it.. (current people 'may' include haruhi, yuki, mikuru, koizumi, tsuruya, miyokichi, sasaki, kyouko, and kuyou) also, though the harem isn't so apparent in the light novels, it was made so in Tomadoi, which somehow sends to the player/fan the message that whoever kyon chooses, the fact that he has to choose will have THE effect on his world.
Just like to point out that the games are made by people who have no connection to Tanigawa, and thus are not canon. Interesting, but not canon. (Hence the blushing Haruhi, etc.)
shichinanatsu wrote: hmm.. no, i don't think kyon is anything but normal (Kyon theory aside), it just so happened that tanigawa-san made him like so, yet placed him smack in the middle of out-of-this-world personalities, so much so that even though haruhi-sama's the title character, it's through kyon that the plot moves about.
Did you know that the author originally intended to have Kyon be the esper? It was just when he was writing the story that Kyon somehow turned out to be the "normal" one, and thus Koizumi had to be created.

Just thought that was interesting.
shichinanatsu wrote: yuki.. here's someone who kinda thinks like rei, is awesomely capable, in short, someone kyon sees as someone very reliable. friend? maybe kyon does see her in that light, thing is though yuki should be in the know regarding everything human, as so she isn't that capable of understanding - and returning - the attention kyon gives her. so yeah, v4 yuki is probably how she imagines herself to be if she really were human sans the IDSE. and yeah, kyon kind of admitted at some point that he wouldn't mind spending time with alter-yuki, he might even have decided to stay there, if not for the world he feels he belongs to. he decided to somehow actively guide yuki into becoming a real human (reference to bicentennial man) and made it very clear that she is important to him, if not to the SOS-Dan. yuki herself might not understand what she feels for kyon, but it's clear to me that she 'feels' for him.
Exactly.
shichinanatsu wrote: lastly, mikuru.. (i'm not that up to theorizing for the others yet, so..) a mostly-clueless well-endowed (and resolute..?) klutz who's been sent to observe haruhi, and eventually kyon. she is someone who kyon sees as most attractive, if not for her being an airhead (which is sometimes an asset as well..). for reasons mostly unknown, older version of her doesn't want kyon to get too close to her; but really, the obvious reason for that is she's somehow attracted to him as well, any more movement from him and she might just lose it. with that in mind, it is quite understandable that one of the reasons she's wary of kyon is that she's afraid haruhi'd have her panties in a twist because someone else wants 'her' kyon. at times she feels worthless in that she's nothing more than a dress-up-doll/tea server for haruhi, if not for kyon's albeit failed attempt at convincing her that she's of worth in this world, in this specific era.. and lo, now we have this kawaii senpai who isn't so awkward and wary around kyon as she used to be almost a year ago.
Mikuru reminds me a lot of Collette from Tales of Symphonia... and not in a good way. Still, epic character development/derailment WILL happen at some point, due to the differing personality of her older self.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by shichinanatsu »

suddenly, mikuru reminded me of a louise baltimore from the 1989 film Millenium (read this as related to Novikov's self-consistency principle) though the plot's rather different from SHnY, it has the concept of a 'timequake' that Tanigawa-san also uses in the light novels. though the ending was sort of escapist, it still reminded me of the mikuru plot from SHnYakusoku.. now i don't know if that PSP game was canon, i guess it'd suck if it was all just coincidence..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

shichinanatsu wrote:suddenly, mikuru reminded me of a louise baltimore from the 1989 film Millenium (read this as related to Novikov's self-consistency principle) though the plot's rather different from SHnY, it has the concept of a 'timequake' that Tanigawa-san also uses in the light novels. though the ending was sort of escapist, it still reminded me of the mikuru plot from SHnYakusoku.. now i don't know if that PSP game was canon, i guess it'd suck if it was all just coincidence..
Games are never canon. But yeah, I've heard of Millenium. Don't think the meaning of "timequake" is quite the same, though.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
shichinanatsu wrote:suddenly, mikuru reminded me of a louise baltimore from the 1989 film Millenium (read this as related to Novikov's self-consistency principle) though the plot's rather different from SHnY, it has the concept of a 'timequake' that Tanigawa-san also uses in the light novels. though the ending was sort of escapist, it still reminded me of the mikuru plot from SHnYakusoku.. now i don't know if that PSP game was canon, i guess it'd suck if it was all just coincidence..
Games are never canon. But yeah, I've heard of Millenium. Don't think the meaning of "timequake" is quite the same, though.
Not true. Some games are Kanon. They also become good anime series, too. :P Actually, Kadokawa Shoten has recently asked some doujin circles to stop producing and distributing Haruhi games.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... dojin-game
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote: Games are never canon. But yeah, I've heard of Millenium. Don't think the meaning of "timequake" is quite the same, though.
Not true. Some games are Kanon. They also become good anime series, too. :P Actually, Kadokawa Shoten has recently asked some doujin circles to stop producing and distributing Haruhi games.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... dojin-game
Nice pun.

Speaking of Kadokawa, though... the Haruhi Wii game is being produced by them, so I can see Tanigawa actually having some involvement in it.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah, but that is kind of a crap shoot because a lot of times the original creator get very little say in what happens because they either do not know what to do in helping to make a game or anime series, they cannot legally do anything, or they do not care. This is what has happened to so many series, but at the same time you get other series where the creator is seriously involved. I do not know how deeply involved Tanigawa is in this kind of stuff. I have heard that he does do all of the story writing for everything though. :?
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:Yeah, but that is kind of a crap shoot because a lot of times the original creator get very little say in what happens because they either do not know what to do in helping to make a game or anime series, they cannot legally do anything, or they do not care. This is what has happened to so many series, but at the same time you get other series where the creator is seriously involved. I do not know how deeply involved Tanigawa is in this kind of stuff. I have heard that he does do all of the story writing for everything though. :?
I doubt he did the other games, but he did write Someday in the Rain for the anime, and, again, given that he is directly involved with Kadokawa, it's not too much of a stretch to think that he might write the Wii game.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

btw.. is SHnTomadoi and SHnYakusoku on sale outside japan? i mean, here in my country what's supposed to be japan-only anime and games can be bought pirated (games aren't translated, anime are usually fansubs burned into dvds).. now i don't know if it's a good thing or not, but the only merchandise i've seen related to haruhi-sama is the dvd of the 1st season.. it sort of shames me i bought a pirated dvd, really..

* goes and tries to hide from author-san and kadokawa's wrath..*
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

shichinanatsu wrote:btw.. is SHnTomadoi and SHnYakusoku on sale outside japan? i mean, here in my country what's supposed to be japan-only anime and games can be bought pirated (games aren't translated, anime are usually fansubs burned into dvds).. now i don't know if it's a good thing or not, but the only merchandise i've seen related to haruhi-sama is the dvd of the 1st season.. it sort of shames me i bought a pirated dvd, really..

No.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

shichinanatsu wrote:btw.. is SHnTomadoi and SHnYakusoku on sale outside japan? i mean, here in my country what's supposed to be japan-only anime and games can be bought pirated (games aren't translated, anime are usually fansubs burned into dvds).. now i don't know if it's a good thing or not, but the only merchandise i've seen related to haruhi-sama is the dvd of the 1st season.. it sort of shames me i bought a pirated dvd, really..

You know, there's still torrents around of a.f.k.'s subs... I found one.

I'm not telling you where it is, though. Forum rules ftl.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not like it's hard to find them anyway.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

hmm.. though i highly think this is just me looking into things too much, i managed to sniff out some evidence for kyon's ability to establish a harem..

this one's an excerpt from v4's epilogue, the other's from v7's chapter 2..
Spoiler! :
I began to lapse into self-pity and made a cool pose. It didn't matter if someone saw me, since no one would bother looking anyway. As I was thinking that way, I exchanged glances with an anonymous high school girl who was walking by. Very quickly she turned her eyes away and scuttled off.
Spoiler! :
"Like that, when I see Mikuru and Haru-nyan and Yuki-ni and Koizumi-kun and Kyon-kun, I think it's lots of fun. I like the appearance that everybody's busy! Apart from that, I also like the me standing off to the side watching you!"
any thoughts?
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

shichinanatsu wrote:hmm.. though i highly think this is just me looking into things too much, i managed to sniff out some evidence for kyon's ability to establish a harem..

this one's an excerpt from v4's epilogue, the other's from v7's chapter 2..
Spoiler! :
I began to lapse into self-pity and made a cool pose. It didn't matter if someone saw me, since no one would bother looking anyway. As I was thinking that way, I exchanged glances with an anonymous high school girl who was walking by. Very quickly she turned her eyes away and scuttled off.
Spoiler! :
"Like that, when I see Mikuru and Haru-nyan and Yuki-ni and Koizumi-kun and Kyon-kun, I think it's lots of fun. I like the appearance that everybody's busy! Apart from that, I also like the me standing off to the side watching you!"
any thoughts?
The first one could be a multitude of things from her thinking that Kyon x Koizumi is hawt, to not wanting to be infected by Haruhi'ism herself. Second one... No. :|
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

granted, the v4 scene can mean a lot of things.. first we could have that girl being rather shy. second we could have her surprised at the attention kyon was giving her - accdg to some female otaku friends, kyon is not a looker like koizumi, but he isn't exactly a wallflower; i.e. there are guys you don't even notice (taniguchi), guys you notice once (kyon), and guys you notice twice (koizumi). the third, and most likely reason, is that kyon's reputation as haruhi's main man being a given, the girl became wary of him, if only to avoid association with haruhi & co.

as for v7-c2, if we talk literature, repeating a phrase gives it added emphasis - at the very least - to giving it a deeper meaning. that usually applies to poetry, but its not that strange to find it in other forms..
Spoiler! :
Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening, Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
knowing tsuruya-san as a most unpredictable character, (even more so than haruhi, but maybe that's just me) saying that phrase with double entendre, if only to elicit a precious reaction from kyon, might very well be intentional. however, lies are still half-truths.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Robert Frost is awesome.

It's just using the sentence told twice to tell the reader that both implications are true, both the said and unsaid parts.
It's just using the sentence told twice to tell the reader that both implications are true, both the said and unsaid parts.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”