I'm a little confused~ :?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Gluttony
Astral Realm

Post by Gluttony »

don't know if everything is spoiler >_<
Spoiler! :
tachibana is kind of stupid isn't she?

kyon's body didn't disapear while he was in that "closed space"
that means all he saw must have been some kind of illusion or something like that...so how can somebody trust her?

as for koizumi's "closed space"...he was there...he walked down the street right into the space...if it were some kind of illusion he would have collapsed on the street or walk in some people...

it is true that the girl on the phone (a1) is a slider...or at least a time-traveler (it could be...or not?)
you can see that she is worried about calling too much and change the furure too much...but she must be related to someone kyon knows...since he recognize the way of speaking...
she is suprised that he doesn't remember her...so it could be that 1. they not yet met...(if she is a time-traveler but that would be kind of stupig since she should know when they first met) or 2. she didn't met him in this "world" yet

(or maybe kyon realy doesn't remember xD)

i am kind of suspicious about the friend of kyon's sister...i don't know why but i can't help it...

something different...

kyon must be related to the "power"...if not, they would not need him to steal the power from haruhi
(first of all i think that kyon is there to stabilize (SP?) the power from haruhi...or to put it another way...to stabilize haruhi's feeling, to settle her down, to calm her down...because the power is connected to haruhi's feelings)

so what would be if kyon is the source of the power? if they need kyon to be by sasaki's side to make her able to gain that power? maybe kyon realy has the power but as all of know he just wants to be the sidekick...so what if he has to choose sasaki as the main-character to give her the power...

well..just know i realized that i lost track of the topic...so i apologize
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

HAL9000 wrote:
dizzcity wrote:Does anyone else think that the slider girl may be an alternate version of Miyokichi, except older (as in, one year younger than Kyon instead of on par with his little sister)? Then the conversation in the Prologue between Kyon and Koizumi about Miyokichi might be a good form of foreshadowing, since Kyon's subconscious desire for a cute little sister like Miyoko might be expressed instead as a cute little kouhai which is fairly close to a little sister. That's if you subscribe to the Kyon-as-God theory, of course.

-Dizzy-
Seems unlikely to me. The resemblance probably would have hit him when he began wondering if the girl had a sibling he had met.
Spoiler! :
Hey... maybe it's a older/future version of Little Sister... it would be more counter-intuitive for Kyon if it was his own family.
I think we can safely remove Miyokichi as a possibility for slider girl, unless they play the "she looks different in her alternate universe" card, which would be hella lame. Kyon has stated numerous times that even though Miyokichi is only as old as his sister, she is quite mature-looking for her age. If she were Miyokichi, I think he would have been able to recognize her if she looks old enough to pass for a 10-grader, since the normal Miyokichi looks nearly that old to begin with.
Spoiler! :
Now, as for slider girl being Imouto-san, even though that might have been meant as a joke, it certainly has a ring of correctness to it. Think about it. He states that her speech pattern is the same as his sister's (assuming the α-1 phone caller and the α-6 first-year are the same person, which seems fairly certain). The age difference would be enough in her case to make her look quite different, especially with the different hairstyle, explaining why she looks familiar, but not known. From her actions in the first-year meeting, we see that she acts much like Imouto-san does. And most importantly, checking out some cute chick and then later finding out she's your age-variant alternate-universe younger sister is about the most Kyon thing that could ever happen.

As for why there's an age difference, well, we don't know how much her original timeline diverges from the one we know and love, so there's no reason to assume that Kyon's parents had their two kids at the same times in each universe. This Imouto-san may not even be our Imouto-san, genetically, which would explain why Yuki didn't go nuts when she showed up. Of course, Yuki's lack of reaction could also be due to an inability to sense sliders the way she can espers or time travelers, or she may just have not been paying close enough attention (see Charmed at First Sight LOVER).
Florin
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Florin »

At the end of prologue to Vol. 9:
Spoiler! :
...it is very unlikely that there would be new members who can join us five...
In the end, my prediction was half-right and half-wrong. But, I must add a classic sentence here...... the current me is obviously unable to predict what would happen in the future.
This is quite probably an indication that Kyon will be aware of this "reality-split" in the aftermath.
There is no gravity: The Earth just sucks.
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Florin wrote:At the end of prologue to Vol. 9:
Spoiler! :
...it is very unlikely that there would be new members who can join us five...
In the end, my prediction was half-right and half-wrong. But, I must add a classic sentence here...... the current me is obviously unable to predict what would happen in the future.
This is quite probably an indication that Kyon will be aware of this "reality-split" in the aftermath.
Spoiler! :
Oh yeah, for anyone who has read the whole volume—hell, anyone who's read anything about the odd structure of the volume—thats an overt sign that someone will join the SOS-Dan in one of the alternate timelines and not the other. I picked that up right off. The question is, will the member stay on after the split is resolved, or will they disappear with the rest of their rimeline (ie: will α or β, respectively, become the resultant timeline)?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Spoiler! :
this reminds me when the marvel universe is parallel to the dc universe, ending up fighting each other to see which universe survives only endup being fused at the end. to me i think the parallel universes is not the simple matter of choosing which dimensions to exist rather they are fused by kyon. At a-1 I definitely thought it was Miyokichi at the phone but now I am suspicious of the 1st year girl and it may be the same caller. Another girl in kyon’s harem collection he may forgotten. That or I think it may be kyon’s sister in from another dimension. I always think kyon’s little sis is the slider cause to me she is hyper active. No real reason but is a gut’s feeling. My conclusions: Miyokichi is the slider, kyon’s sister is the slider or kyon’s sister from another dimension. The 4th conclusion I really wish for is me being the slider and join the SOS-Dan.

baka baka baka
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

b0mb3r wrote:
Spoiler! :
this reminds me when the marvel universe is parallel to the dc universe, ending up fighting each other to see which universe survives only endup being fused at the end. to me i think the parallel universes is not the simple matter of choosing which dimensions to exist rather they are fused by kyon. At a-1 I definitely thought it was Miyokichi at the phone but now I am suspicious of the 1st year girl and it may be the same caller. Another girl in kyon’s harem collection he may forgotten. That or I think it may be kyon’s sister in from another dimension. I always think kyon’s little sis is the slider cause to me she is hyper active. No real reason but is a gut’s feeling. My conclusions: Miyokichi is the slider, kyon’s sister is the slider or kyon’s sister from another dimension. The 4th conclusion I really wish for is me being the slider and join the SOS-Dan.
Okay... Here's how I think it's all going to play out.
Spoiler! :
The slider girl in the α timeline is the same person who was the "12th man" in the first-years recruitment meeting, as well as the cause of the whole dimensional split, due to her supplanting of Sasaki's call at the beginning of Chapter 2. The meeting was organized by Yuki, I'd imagine, as one of her ever-so-often shake-ups to keep Haruhi happy, which explains why it didn't occur in the β timeline. The timing of the call may or may not have been intentional, most likely hingeing on whether or not slider girl exists in the β timeline (basically boiling down to whether it's her existence or just the call that is the critical difference between the two timelines).

The possiblity that the slider girl is Miyokichi is pretty low. Kyon has noted before that Miyokichi is mature for her age, but Kyon describes slider girl as too small for her uniform, implying she appears young. Also, considering Miyokichi's maturity, the difference of three years would not affect her voice very much, making it unlikely he would not recognize her over the phone. Similarly, her looks would not have changed appreciably.

As you (and others before you, myself included) have suggested, I think the slider girl is an alternate universe time variant version of Kyon's Little Sister. As for why she's of a different age, there's any number of legitimate reasons too tedious to go through here, but the two most likely would be either alliance with her home timeline's Time Travelers or a divergent home timeline, where either time runs faster ("our" present is similar to her past) or she was simply born earlier. Kyon's sister (the original) is not very mature physically, so a difference of three years could bring about enough change in her voice and looks that Kyon would not recognize her (even he's not expecting an older version of his sister). Add to that the fact that he states himself that slider girl's vocal patterns are similar to his sister's, and that we see evidence ourselves that her mannerisms are similar, and you've got a solid enough case that Volume 10 would have no problems filling in any blanks.

As for Nagato's ailment, I think it's pretty safe to say that Suou is involved, possibly due to Kyon's absence at the Sasaki-Dan meeting where Suou confronted Kimidori. It's also possible that it's slider-related, but really only likely if slider girl exists in both timelines. It could also be related to Wandering Shadow, since mention was made of the data aliens from that book. As for how it plays out, I think it'll be fairly irrelevant, since I don't think the β timeline will survive the end of Volume 10, or at least won't make it into Volume 11.

I speculate that at the end of the book, there will be only one timeline (at least only one viable one), and the resultant Kyon (and likely Kyon alone) will be aware of both, if not have memories from both. A particularly nasty likelihood is that the β tmeline and all in it (save Kyon) are destroyed, and the Kyon of the α timeline either is merged with Kyon-β or is destroyed along with the β timeline. Alternately, we may just end up with a Kyon swap and ignore the timeline that doesn't end up with slider girl, for the remainder of the books. Either way, Kyon-α and Kyon-β will at some point meet, with hilarious consequences, and we'll probably end up with slider girl making a larger impact on the rest of the series than Sasaki-tachi.
Florin
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Florin »

I say enough of these spoiler-tags! This entire topic is spoiler!
quigonkenny wrote:The meeting was organized by Yuki, I'd imagine, as one of her ever-so-often shake-ups to keep Haruhi happy, which explains why it didn't occur in the β timeline.
If you mean first-years joining SOS, I believe it was slider-girl's responsibility. She looked really interested in this, so chances are she was the one who had brought other first-years.
There is no gravity: The Earth just sucks.
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Florin wrote:I say enough of these spoiler-tags! This entire topic is spoiler!
quigonkenny wrote:The meeting was organized by Yuki, I'd imagine, as one of her ever-so-often shake-ups to keep Haruhi happy, which explains why it didn't occur in the ß timeline.
If you mean first-years joining SOS, I believe it was slider-girl's responsibility. She looked really interested in this, so chances are she was the one who had brought other first-years.
I'd say that's about as likely, but it more or less voids the possibility of slider girl existing at all in the ß timeline. Not that that isn't possible, it's just we have little evidence to show that. Volume 10 needs to hurry up and get released, dammit.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

quigonkenny wrote:Okay... Here's how I think it's all going to play out.
Spoiler! :
The slider girl in the α timeline is the same person who was the "12th man" in the first-years recruitment meeting, as well as the cause of the whole dimensional split, due to her supplanting of Sasaki's call at the beginning of Chapter 2. The meeting was organized by Yuki, I'd imagine, as one of her ever-so-often shake-ups to keep Haruhi happy, which explains why it didn't occur in the β timeline. The timing of the call may or may not have been intentional, most likely hingeing on whether or not slider girl exists in the β timeline (basically boiling down to whether it's her existence or just the call that is the critical difference between the two timelines).

The possiblity that the slider girl is Miyokichi is pretty low. Kyon has noted before that Miyokichi is mature for her age, but Kyon describes slider girl as too small for her uniform, implying she appears young. Also, considering Miyokichi's maturity, the difference of three years would not affect her voice very much, making it unlikely he would not recognize her over the phone. Similarly, her looks would not have changed appreciably.

As you (and others before you, myself included) have suggested, I think the slider girl is an alternate universe time variant version of Kyon's Little Sister. As for why she's of a different age, there's any number of legitimate reasons too tedious to go through here, but the two most likely would be either alliance with her home timeline's Time Travelers or a divergent home timeline, where either time runs faster ("our" present is similar to her past) or she was simply born earlier. Kyon's sister (the original) is not very mature physically, so a difference of three years could bring about enough change in her voice and looks that Kyon would not recognize her (even he's not expecting an older version of his sister). Add to that the fact that he states himself that slider girl's vocal patterns are similar to his sister's, and that we see evidence ourselves that her mannerisms are similar, and you've got a solid enough case that Volume 10 would have no problems filling in any blanks.

As for Nagato's ailment, I think it's pretty safe to say that Suou is involved, possibly due to Kyon's absence at the Sasaki-Dan meeting where Suou confronted Kimidori. It's also possible that it's slider-related, but really only likely if slider girl exists in both timelines. It could also be related to Wandering Shadow, since mention was made of the data aliens from that book. As for how it plays out, I think it'll be fairly irrelevant, since I don't think the β timeline will survive the end of Volume 10, or at least won't make it into Volume 11.

I speculate that at the end of the book, there will be only one timeline (at least only one viable one), and the resultant Kyon (and likely Kyon alone) will be aware of both, if not have memories from both. A particularly nasty likelihood is that the β tmeline and all in it (save Kyon) are destroyed, and the Kyon of the α timeline either is merged with Kyon-β or is destroyed along with the β timeline. Alternately, we may just end up with a Kyon swap and ignore the timeline that doesn't end up with slider girl, for the remainder of the books. Either way, Kyon-α and Kyon-β will at some point meet, with hilarious consequences, and we'll probably end up with slider girl making a larger impact on the rest of the series than Sasaki-tachi.
I have to agree with this. It's most likely that the caller from a time line will be have an affect in volume 10. I also agree with the point of both Kyon-a and Kyon-B are going to meet or be merged. Though however I don't think there is enough information to say what is going to happen to the B timeline.
HAL9000
Astral Realm

Post by HAL9000 »

The more I think about the slider's meeting-blocking phone call, the more it troubles me. The only way a slider would have the knowledge necessary to do such a thing was if she was also a time traveler. It occurred to me that she may be bouncing back and forth the alpha and beta timelines, but the book makes it seems as if they are progressing more or less in step with each other; it can't be that the timelines are slightly out of sync, with the slider using the leadtime to affect the other continuity.

The whole thing starts to seem more and more to be in line with Mikuru's specialization...

Ah, well. More fuel for the waiting-for-10 fire.
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

HAL9000 wrote:The more I think about the slider's meeting-blocking phone call, the more it troubles me. The only way a slider would have the knowledge necessary to do such a thing was if she was also a time traveler.[...]
Why does it have to have been done on purpose?
Tanagawa Nageru, in Volume 9, wrote:"I only wanted to hear Senpai's voice."

The owner of the voice said.

"It is only this, there are no other special purposes. If there is a need to trouble you next time, please take good care of me. If only we could be together for a longer time."
While she certainly could be lying, she may have had no intent in changing the timelines. It's just as interesting either way.
HAL9000
Astral Realm

Post by HAL9000 »

Good point.

A very good point. I figured her for a liar, in opposition to the Bizarro SOS Brigade. But if she's really not... well, that could go in a lot of different directions.

That waiting-for-10 fire is starting to get pretty big. Maybe we can call the fire department?
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

HAL9000 wrote:Good point.

A very good point. I figured her for a liar, in opposition to the Bizarro SOS Brigade. But if she's really not... well, that could go in a lot of different directions.

That waiting-for-10 fire is starting to get pretty big. Maybe we can call the fire department?
now I have a feeling that the novel would really be released after I am done with my O Levels. that will be mid-November. :shock:
TwilightLegacy
Astral Realm

Post by TwilightLegacy »

Spoiler! :
My theory is that there is no slider. if you read the tanabata event, "John Smith" told the younger version of Haruhi that he met time travelers, espers, and aliens, BUT NO sliders. Afterwards, the time quake occurred where Haruhi "remade" the world with espers, etc. However, assuming Haruhi created the world based on what Kyon said, sliders SHOULDN'T exist. That would explain why Haruhi only managed to recruit an alien, time traveler, and esper, but not a slider. Because they dont exist.

Also, a slider would not explain the possibility of why Sasaki could have been god. No slider should be able to grant Sasaki the ability to create her own sealed realties. In my opinion, i would go with the Kyon theory. If kyon was the original with the powers, that would explain everything. In the past, Kyon had wanted to be the sidekick to someone who does cool and unusual stuff. Therefore, during the years in middle school, he could have been unconsciously searching for one to endow with "godlike" abilities, and unconsciously arrange it so that he becomes the sidekick to whoever it was. When his younger self met Sasaki, he could have decided to choose her. After all, kyon did not know Haruhi yet. However, the older Kyon came back to the past, and acknowledged that Haruhi, NOT sasaki, should get the powers. therefore, that would explain why Sasaki supposedly had the powers stolen from her. The younger self had originally granted the powers to Sasaki, but the older kyon revoked them and gave it to Haruhi.

Also, if kyon was the original person with the powers, it would explain why he is in the club. Although Koizumi confirms kyon as normal, that could be due to the idea that kyon already gave his powers to Haruhi. therefore, kyon might be a normal person, but he originally was "unique" in a way, therefore qualifying him for being a member of the SOS brigade.

As for the dual dimensions, if nagato can create an alternate dimension, then why can't others? a slider could travel BETWEEN dimensions, not create new ones. as stated before, a slider should not be able to block out a phone call without being able to tell the future. for all we know the canopy domain (or whatever it's called) could have arranged for divergent dimensions to observe what may happen.

Also, at the end of the prologue to chapter 9, it says "As for the source of all these troubles, it can be no one else other than Suzumiya Haruhi." obviously, kyon is saying that Haruhi, not some slider, caused whatever happened.
phew, that took a long time to type :? anyways, that's my theory. no guarantee it's right though
Mandorlo
Astral Realm

Post by Mandorlo »

TwilightLegacy wrote:
Spoiler! :
My theory is that there is no slider. if you read the tanabata event, "John Smith" told the younger version of Haruhi that he met time travelers, espers, and aliens, BUT NO sliders. Afterwards, the time quake occurred where Haruhi "remade" the world with espers, etc. However, assuming Haruhi created the world based on what Kyon said, sliders SHOULDN'T exist. That would explain why Haruhi only managed to recruit an alien, time traveler, and esper, but not a slider. Because they dont exist.
Spoiler! :
I think that Kyon met the younger version of Haruhi AFTER the time quake, because Asahina said that it's impossible to time travel before that moment.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”