About a phrase..

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

plato
Astral Realm

About a phrase..

Post by plato »

on chapter 3 ß-6:
Spoiler! :
When Asahina and Kyon talking in club room, Asahina says:

“Liar…… it is supposed to be classified.”

I think this phrase must be:

"I can't believe it…… It is supposed to be classified."

I don't know what was the original word in place of "Liar". When I thought about it, it must be <Uso>. While <Uso> means "Lie", "Liar", it also can be used this way too...
What do you think?
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I think "No way!" or "Unbelievable!" is definitely more correct, and keeping it something short keeps it as an interjection rather than a full sentence. (Compare "Unbelievable!" to "I can't believe it!")

=Smidge=
Gluttony
Astral Realm

Post by Gluttony »

hmm she is in contact with somebody who tells her what is classified and what not...(everytime she wants to something time related..she pauses for a moment or not?)

and so when suddenly she is told that she can tell kyon that...she says "liar" because she can't believe that the other side is ok with her telling kyon...

if think that is a possible explanation or not?
Last edited by Gluttony on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

my copy reads "liar" literally.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Sometimes I don't think literal translation is the best way to go.

For instance, I'm guessing the line here would be "骗人!" or "骗子", which is very much like the "Uso!" in Japanese. Though it literally means "Liar/You lie!", in certain contexts it expresses disbelief, and since "Liar" can't be used, I would probably us "No way!" or "Seriously?!" instead.

If you want something close to the literal translation though, I guess "You kidding?" or "You pulling my leg?" could work, but it sounds cheesy to me...
/me claws out throat and dies
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Well the original line is:
「うそ……。禁則なのに」
So... "Uso" it is.
=Smidge=
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

I didnt comment on anything about the editing. I am just suggesting how it is written in my copy.

the uso part is an intersesting nugget nevertheless.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”