My theory about the rise of Sasaki

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: My theory about the rise of Sasaki

Post by shichinanatsu »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
shichinanatsu wrote:but wouldn't you say that haruhi doesn't have a full concept of what a 'good friend' is? i mean, yeah, she 'could' have created aliens, time travelers, and espers, but i don't think giving kyon a 'good friend' is possible for her.. the very concept is foreign to her, as koizumi told kyon that she didn't have anything even coming close to friendly relations with ANYONE, when she was still in junior high.

consequently, haruhi MIGHT be thinking along these lines: kyon, though always complaining, is always by my side. he could be... INTERESTED in me.

i'm not hinting that SH-verse is about to become romantically inclined anytime soon, its far too interesting without that, no point adding any more. still, through the length of the story we see haruhi and kyon growing into each other, that the thought of the SOS-Dan (and the two of them) continuing their quest for the paranormal well into the future sounds quite appealing. however, its not like Haruhi is into things we normal humans can so easily predict, through author-san we might just witness an ending never before seen in all of manga/anime/ranobe history..

however, the possibility of haruhi's film being a glimpse of the ending is very much probable, as a lot of the sub-plots seem circular in nature. just a thought
"Not romantically inclined"? Half the point of the story is that Haruhi wants Kyon to bone her.

Though your point about the b-plots being circular is pretty interesting...

If you ask me, I think that we might finally get a glimpse of overarching plot elements in Vol.10, in order to set up an eventual ending properly.
i'm inclined to disagree with that. imo, the story of Haruhi is a Bildungsroman aka Coming of Age story (pity J.K. Rowling's work is considered Bildungsroman, while Tanigawa Nagaru-san's isn't). though haruhi's character was made to seem like that of a 15-year old nihon shoujo, if seen in a different angle, her personality is still very much childlike. i do not say this out of spite, but look around you. what are the chances of anyone finding someone still very much into fantasy, so much so that they make it their lifelong dream?

this is where kyon comes in.. though the story has some romantic overtones, kyon is in the story primarily to guide haruhi into growing up. the best part of that is, the driving force for haruhi's growth isn't a series of events, but a person, and that makes it all the more worthwhile.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

shichinanatsu wrote:
i'm inclined to disagree with that. imo, the story of Haruhi is a Bildungsroman aka Coming of Age story (pity J.K. Rowling's work is considered Bildungsroman, while Tanigawa Nagaru-san's isn't). though haruhi's character was made to seem like that of a 15-year old nihon shoujo, if seen in a different angle, her personality is still very much childlike. i do not say this out of spite, but look around you. what are the chances of anyone finding someone still very much into fantasy, so much so that they make it their lifelong dream?

this is where kyon comes in.. though the story has some romantic overtones, kyon is in the story primarily to guide haruhi into growing up. the best part of that is, the driving force for haruhi's growth isn't a series of events, but a person, and that makes it all the more worthwhile.
You still can't tell me that Haruhi doesn't want Kyon to bone her, or that the series won't end with them together, though.

You're right though. Those are mostly the overall themes of the story.

I'd like to point out, though, that Kyon is just as much into fantasy as she is.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

hmm.. you're right, though in past tense, kyon was also interested in the paranormal once.. *does a parody pose of Rodin's Thinker*

though knowing haruhi, if ever she were in the mood, she would just take kyon away, then get on with it, probably in the Literature Club room.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:You still can't tell me that Haruhi doesn't want Kyon to bone her, or that the series won't end with them together, though.

I'd like to point out, though, that Kyon is just as much into fantasy as she is.
Haruhi wants Kyon to bone her? Agreed. Subconsciously, but yeah, it's there.

The series will end with them together? Not so sure I agree. I can see it going either way. A lot of it has to do with the nature of Haruhi's powers, whatever that may be. She may not be entirely human by the time this is all done, and in fact may not be now...

Besides, I think we're going to find that Kyon ends up being more interested in the "Genki Senpai" before this is all over with. Everyone else loves her, so it's only a matter of time... ^_^
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:You still can't tell me that Haruhi doesn't want Kyon to bone her, or that the series won't end with them together, though.

Haruhi wants Kyon to bone her? Agreed. Subconsciously, but yeah, it's there.

The series will end with them together? Not so sure I agree. I can see it going either way. A lot of it has to do with the nature of Haruhi's powers, whatever that may be. She may not be entirely human by the time this is all done, and in fact may not be now...

Besides, I think we're going to find that Kyon ends up being more interested in the "Genki Senpai" before this is all over with. Everyone else loves her, so it's only a matter of time... ^_^
There's where I disagree with you. They're set up to be good friends more than anything else, I think.

(Plus, Tsuruya is a rather minor character at this point.)

Assuming Koizumi is bi and not totally gay, I see him getting together with Tsuruya. Seems to fit better.

Haruhi's name is in the title, she's the central character, etc. There's all this setup for her, and, to me, it would feel really contrived if they pulled an "oops, she dies and Kyon loves Tsuruya now."

Edit: I don't think it's subconscious, either. It's pretty obvious that she likes him.

Also, I love my new mod powers...
cicero225
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cicero225 »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
quigonkenny wrote: Haruhi wants Kyon to bone her? Agreed. Subconsciously, but yeah, it's there.

There's where I disagree with you. They're set up to be good friends more than anything else, I think.

(Plus, Tsuruya is a rather minor character at this point.)

Assuming Koizumi is bi and not totally gay, I see him getting together with Tsuruya. Seems to fit better.

Haruhi's name is in the title, she's the central character, etc. There's all this setup for her, and, to me, it would feel really contrived if they pulled an "oops, she dies and Kyon loves Tsuruya now."

Edit: I don't think it's subconscious, either. It's pretty obvious that she likes him.

Also, I love my new mod powers...
Well she doesn't have to die. With the setup of this book, it's entirely possible she'll ascend to godhood/transcend reality or something, while Kyon watches. It wouldn't be my favorite ending, but it is possible.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

cicero225 wrote: Well she doesn't have to die. With the setup of this book, it's entirely possible she'll ascend to godhood/transcend reality or something, while Kyon watches. It wouldn't be my favorite ending, but it is possible.
Same difference, though. There's been absolutely no setup for a Tsuruya ending at this point and it's unlikely that there will be any in future.

Basically, if Haruhi leaves the story permanently in any way, shape, or form and Kyon ends up with someone else as a a result, I think it'll feel really contrived.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

1) On the point of "Haruhi can't give Kyon a good friend since she doesn't understand what it's like", well, she doesn't understand what it's like to be Nagato, but well there you go. Seriously, though, it's possible she could've just retroactively changed the timeline near modern-day, where she has a pretty good idea of what friendship is like by now via Kyon.

2) Kyon X Haruhi. You can't get out of it.

3) Haruhi's not dying and/or ascending/transcending. That stuff is good for what-if fanfictions, but one of the major themes of the story is Haruhi's coming to accept normal reality as a human being, which would be ruined if she died, or found out she was God, or anything like that.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

AuraTwilight wrote:1) On the point of "Haruhi can't give Kyon a good friend since she doesn't understand what it's like", well, she doesn't understand what it's like to be Nagato, but well there you go. Seriously, though, it's possible she could've just retroactively changed the timeline near modern-day, where she has a pretty good idea of what friendship is like by now via Kyon.

3) Haruhi's not dying and/or ascending/transcending. That stuff is good for what-if fanfictions, but one of the major themes of the story is Haruhi's coming to accept normal reality as a human being, which would be ruined if she died, or found out she was God, or anything like that.
YES. We finally agree on something.

Thank you...
cicero225
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cicero225 »

Kaisos Erranon wrote: Same difference, though. There's been absolutely no setup for a Tsuruya ending at this point and it's unlikely that there will be any in future.

Basically, if Haruhi leaves the story permanently in any way, shape, or form and Kyon ends up with someone else as a a result, I think it'll feel really contrived.
I'm pretty sure the Tsuruya thing was a joke...
Anyway, I guess I should clarify. I would hate such an ending as well, since yes, it would be very deus ex machina. I'm just pointing out that nothing in the storyline, besides our assumption that the author knows what he is doing when it comes to writing stories, strictly rules it out. I don't really think it would happen, just trying to be devil's advocate.
1) On the point of "Haruhi can't give Kyon a good friend since she doesn't understand what it's like", well, she doesn't understand what it's like to be Nagato, but well there you go. Seriously, though, it's possible she could've just retroactively changed the timeline near modern-day, where she has a pretty good idea of what friendship is like by now via Kyon.

1) Yes. Haruhi "knows" how to do a lot more than she actually knows (if that makes sense...)
2) Totally. It really doesn't happen any other way.
3) What I said above. Yes, it would be thematically very unpleasant.

Incidentally, what determines the little titles that go under usernames? I've always thought people pick those, but I notice that I am now a "kyonist" and I certainly never selected any such option...
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

cicero225 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote: Same difference, though. There's been absolutely no setup for a Tsuruya ending at this point and it's unlikely that there will be any in future.

I'm pretty sure the Tsuruya thing was a joke...
Anyway, I guess I should clarify. I would hate such an ending as well, since yes, it would be very deus ex machina. I'm just pointing out that nothing in the storyline, besides our assumption that the author knows what he is doing when it comes to writing stories, strictly rules it out. I don't really think it would happen, just trying to be devil's advocate.

1) Yes. Haruhi "knows" how to do a lot more than she actually knows (if that makes sense...)
2) Totally. It really doesn't happen any other way.
3) What I said above. Yes, it would be thematically very unpleasant.

Incidentally, what determines the little titles that go under usernames? I've always thought people pick those, but I notice that I am now a "kyonist" and I certainly never selected any such option...
Post count. If you're a mod, though, you don't get one. Sad...

Yeah, looks like we all agree, though.

And I still think speculation is pointless until Vol.10 comes out...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

My question then is how on earth has the rest of the SOS Brigade been so successful in keeping everything from Haruhi? I mean, Haruhi is smart. So, it should not be hard for her to add two and two together. That and the fact that keeping secrets among people is not easy. Frankly, she should have known long ago. Maybe she does not and we do not know about the specifics of the paranormal phenomenon around her.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:My question then is how on earth has the rest of the SOS Brigade been so successful in keeping everything from Haruhi? I mean, Haruhi is smart. So, it should not be hard for her to add two and two together. That and the fact that keeping secrets among people is not easy. Frankly, she should have known long ago. Maybe she does not and we do not know about the specifics of the paranormal phenomenon around her.
She's never around when the events happen, with two exceptions. She's only the cause of them.

I think she might have an idea that her brigade isn't exactly normal, (which is why she recruited them in the first place) but what person would automatically jump to the conclusion that they're god?
cicero225
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cicero225 »

Kaisos Erranon wrote: She's never around when the events happen, with two exceptions. She's only the cause of them.

I think she might have an idea that her brigade isn't exactly normal, (which is why she recruited them in the first place) but what person would automatically jump to the conclusion that they're god?
Indeed, it's difficult to see how she wouldn't notice something. She noticed Kyon's increased glancing at Nagato, as mentioned in Snow Mountain; if she can notice something so subtle, how can she miss things like Koizumi's unusual yesmanism, the brigade's occasional strange comments (ie: Don't worry! She's from this time...err...), that whole incident with the dog getting sick, the inconsistencies in their explanation of Snow Mountain Syndrome, the cherry blossoms in Fall, and so on and so forth. Hundreds of little things, coupled with Kyon's revelation to at the beginning of vol. 2, and her gut must be nagging her that something is wrong with the picture...
Indeed, her ability to believe whatever outrageous explanation is thrown at her (group hypnosis, anyone?) sometimes makes me feel like she's deliberately trying to avoid knowing, but that makes no sense...or does it?
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

cicero225 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote: She's never around when the events happen, with two exceptions. She's only the cause of them.

Indeed, it's difficult to see how she wouldn't notice something. She noticed Kyon's increased glancing at Nagato, as mentioned in Snow Mountain; if she can notice something so subtle, how can she miss things like Koizumi's unusual yesmanism, the brigade's occasional strange comments (ie: Don't worry! She's from this time...err...), that whole incident with the dog getting sick, the inconsistencies in their explanation of Snow Mountain Syndrome, the cherry blossoms in Fall, and so on and so forth. Hundreds of little things, coupled with Kyon's revelation to at the beginning of vol. 2, and her gut must be nagging her that something is wrong with the picture...
Indeed, her ability to believe whatever outrageous explanation is thrown at her (group hypnosis, anyone?) sometimes makes me feel like she's deliberately trying to avoid knowing, but that makes no sense...or does it?
Her incredible ability to believe in extraordinarily stupid things like group hypnosis, anybody?

In any case, as I said, I'm sure she knows that SOMETHING's wrong, but that she isn't sure what...

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”