Kyonism ?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Peysh
Astral Realm

Kyonism ?

Post by Peysh »

First and foremost, thank you for your incredible translations. It truly is something. It's my first post on these forum and i wanted to tell the team that. :oops:

Then on with my question, i'll try to keep it short and simple. I can go make a time consuming index of references and quotes frome the books but i belive that is not necessary for the purpose of this post. (am i alone?)

I first saw the anime, which i found fantastic, and began to wonder about the whole stuff. Then, i learned that the story originated from novels and went on a quest for translations. I guess i was not the only one, seeing these boards :P

I got interested in reading the books after watching the anime, as i said, and after lying on a couch staring at the ceiling for some time trying to nail that feeling that something wasn't quite right with the whole thing.

I am pretty sure it's been hotly debated before, but why can't Kyon be god ? I haven't seen a thread on the volume 9 talking about this, maybe there is one somewhere else though, i'll go look for it after that.

Everything kind of points to that theory from my perspective of things. Kyon is the only one that would make sense. The only proof that we have that he is a "regular" human is that it is stated so by Itsuki. Who lives in a world possibly created by Kyon, so it's not hard evidence.

All the strange stuff happening around the SOS dan can be explained with kyon as god. He is even more blasé and bored by life than Haruhi after all. Can't the whole story be revolving about Kyon having fun as an outsider a "sidekick" as he often likes to describe himself ?

Heck, the whole 9th volume doesn't make any sense if Haruhi is god ... how could she loose he powers ? Why is everything revolving around Kyon ... ? My head hurts :(

Please tell me I am not alone thinking that.
Peysh
Astral Realm

Post by Peysh »

Ah well, I found a 17 pages thread on teh main board, I guess i wasn't looking hard enough :P
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Yeah, I have definitely noticed that SOMETHING just isn't right, although I didn't immediately come to the same conclusion as you...

It was more that the continual explanations of Koizumi and Older Mikuru just didn't seem to explain everything that was going on... it doesn't seem quite as simple as "Haruhi is bored so she creates a bunch of random occurences".

Everything odd that happens seems too ordered and logical...
Peysh
Astral Realm

Post by Peysh »

Maybe so, anyway the moment there is evidence Kyon is god, the story is over.

There is no way the author will turn the narrator into a superhuman being describing his everyday feats. That's just not fun for the readers who came to relate to Kyon as a regular (albeit cynical) human.

That being said, i read the post in this other thread about Kyonism on the general forum which stated that Kyon's name was in fact the author's name if you considered the first day of high school and where he is seated. If Kyon is the "author" then he is god allright. But where does this leaves us for plot development ? How can we go on from here ?

Some ramblings :

By having stranger and stranger occurrences happening? I think it will grow tiresome after a while if the status quo is maintained artificially ...

There is only so much you can do with the current cast of the SOS Dan, and I don't believe this cast will change till the end of the series. So my conclusion is that the graduation of Mikuru will spell the end of the book. That is my personal point of view, if you don't believe the cast will change, and believe that the story can only take place during high school. Then it's gotta end at Mikuru's graduation. That means we are past the middle of the series, possibly 2/3.

The post in the other topic which made quite an impression on me :
LQY wrote:Well, in my theory, the real god of this series of Suzumiya Haruhi is NAGARU TANIGAWA whose representative is KYON.

NAGARU TANIGAWA

KYON

By the way, there is one way to find out Kyon's real name. In the first day of school, Kyon's table was in front of Haruhi Suzumiya, whose table was in front of Taniguchi. In Japanese high school, the order of table is put first on the spelling of students' last names but boys and girls are seperately. Therefore, Kyon's last name might not in front of "Su" but it might be same as "Ta" or before than "Ta".

What's the author's last name? Tanigawa. Who is next to the Kyon in the boys? Taniguchi.

Therefore, Kyon's last name is Tanigawa, the author himself:P

PS:

Even the author's wife is complaining that he wrote about the first day which they met in the high school. However, it was hard to say it would be like Haruhi, Mikuru, or Yuki...... :roll:
DQ
Astral Realm

Post by DQ »

Personally, I think that Kyon just might be the one with omnipotent powers. In the end of Haruhi theatre act 1, Kyon mentioned the third round might be something western themed. And it turned out to be a western movie in the end. Of course, there's the possibility that whoever is behind this fantasy world, he merely listened to Kyon's thoughts. Dunno.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”