Volume 9 Little help please

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ore wa ecchi
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Volume 9 Little help please

Post by ore wa ecchi »

Well, I just finished reading volume 9 and here I am confused about it. Anyway I just need some help to clarify some things that i don't understand.
Here goes:
Story A:
~Kyon received a call from some unknown person.
~They did not have any activities during sunday.
~Kyon talked to Haruhi before classes started.
~Kyon was assisted by Haruhi in his studies.
~There was 11 students that wanted to join the SOS-dan and 1 suddenly appears without anyone realizing it.
Story B:
~Sasaki gave Kyon a phone call.
~They met that sunday with the 3 others who happened to be an esper, alien, and time-traveler but from a different faction.
~ Kyon didn't talk with Haruhi before classes and they fell asleep and he had the dream.
~Haruhi insisted that Kyon head to the clubroom first.
~Haruhi tried to advertise SOS-dan by posting something

So where does all of this fit:
~Kyon called both Koizumi and Nagato after receiving the phone call.
~Kyon called Koizumi but didn't call nagato.
~Nagato got sick.
~Kunikida saw Sasaki.

It's kinda bothersome how the story just suddenly split into 2, and thus it got my mind scrambled up with all those turn of events. I've tried reading the other thread but it only gets me more confused. I think that the story was split up with Koizumi's theory of 2 dimensions existing at the same time, but during december 18 back then, Nagato was the one who caused the other dimension to appear. In this case here in volume 9, no such events happened, the split just occurred when Kyon got the phone call. I'm sorry i cannot come up with any theories right now since my mind is still confused. :P
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Volume 9 Little help please

Post by Darklor »

Hmm let me see if I can help you a little to sort it out.
ore wa ecchi wrote:So where does all of this fit:
~Kyon called both Koizumi and Nagato after receiving the phone call.
~Kyon called Koizumi but didn't call nagato.
~Nagato got sick.
~Kunikida saw Sasaki.

I think this time the slip occour because he got at alpha 1 not the phone call from Sasaki because he had already a phone call from a different person and was because of this unreachable for Sasaki. Because he didnt get the phone call from Sasaki he saw no reason to call Koizumi right away, but later. So he thought it was to late to call also Nagato after his conversation with Koizumi and since he didnt get the call from Sasaki had no real reason to call her too.

Beta: ~Kyon called both Koizumi and Nagato after receiving the phone call. (from Sasaki)
Alpha: ~Kyon called Koizumi but didn't call nagato.

~Kunikida saw Sasaki. - We dont really know if Kunikida saw Sasaki in Alpha and Beta (but I would say the chances are good that he did. (Maybe at this time didnt already exist Alpha and Beta or its a constant occourance in both)) But we know that Kyon did get the information of this only in Beta for now sure, since in Alpha he didnt talk with Kunikida at length.

~Nagato got sick. This happened in Beta (Only - As far as we know for now) For the why we can for now only speculate I would say.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Topic moved into a more appropriate forum.

Also, the girl who called Kyon in Alpha is very likely the 11th student who shows up later on.

This might suggest she has something to do with the universe splitting.

Whatever it is, sliders are involved.
ore wa ecchi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ore wa ecchi »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:Also, the girl who called Kyon in Alpha is very likely the 11th student who shows up later on.
The 12th maybe.

I really think that it was the phone call itself that split the story, but I still have no theories for it. As for the sliders, I used to have a theory that they would not exist. For my theory before it was Kyon himself, as John Smith, who influenced Haruhi from 3/4 years ago in tanabata, I remember Haruhi asking him a bunch of questions and I remember some of Kyon's answers, like that espers, aliens and time-travellers exist but he doesn't know any sliders and that he knows this girl who celebrates weird holidays and stuff(not accurate). Those answers occasionally influenced haruhi to study in north high with the goal of meeting the weird person. Also, those answers were most likely why koizumi, mikuru and nagato exist yet there is no sliders since "john smith" said that sliders does not exist. I also think that haruhi's power is controlled by kyon. Anyways, the next volume might prove all my past theories to be wrong...
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Haruhi's power has nothing to do with Kyon. That's a stupid theory and always will be.

Kyon is, however, the most powerful person alive because he can CONTROL god. He's an ordinary human, physically, but that doesn't matter much, in all honesty.

And Kyon brings up sliders, again, at the start of the book. And since the story relies on alternate dimensions...

Also I mean the 12th. Yes.
ore wa ecchi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ore wa ecchi »

Also, another thing that's bothering me is that how can sasaki have the same powers as haruhi. Any theries about this one?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ore wa ecchi wrote:Also, another thing that's bothering me is that how can sasaki have the same powers as haruhi. Any theries about this one?
maybe the universe decided to create an anti-god for haruhi? if you believe in balance of course. or maybe haruhi subconsciously wanted a rival/equal so she created one? (sometimes bad guys want to make superheroes for their own sake or else what makes them a bad guy?) then again there is a theory that kyon himself is god and may created those two to pit against each other without his knowledge. still i am calling sasaki bs. when Kyouko Tachibana was holding kyon's hand to prove her point that sasaki has a peaceful closed space, that already is a bit suspicious for me. yes her power of an esper may be different from Itsuki Koizumi since she supposedly got her power from sasaki but the situations is different as i recalled. they sat at the cafe and somehow teleported outside the cafe to the closed space. once the showing was done they were teleport back where they were sitting. i find that koizumi dragging kyon through haruhi's closed space of his first encounter and its dissolve (or crack whatever) when the 1st giant kyon saw was slain as it return to normal to be more plausible to be a proof of closed space.

bottom line i think kyouko isn't person she said to be and may give kyon a hallucination or illusion of some sort.

but people may agrue that koizumi could give kyon the same illusion too but whatever

baka baka baka
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Haruhi's power has nothing to do with Kyon. That's a stupid theory and always will be.
It's not THAT stupid of a theory, even if I disagree with it. After all, he's apparently the key to transfering Godhood between cute girls.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

My perosnal theory on Sasaki is that Haruhi gave her the powers herself.

The entire plotline for Vol. 9 is pretty manga-ish... and who do we know who's obviously a manga addict?
ore wa ecchi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ore wa ecchi »

Well, I'm also a manga addict ^_^

I also see the esper powers of kyouko tachibana as suspicious. Her powers as an esper are only to bring the mind of the person into the closed space while koizumi's esper powers really brings the whole person into the closed space. I think that saski's closed space may be just some sort of illusion since when kyon and tachibana held hands they never left the bar. When in the case of haruhi's closed space, according to nagato, kyon and haruhi disappeared from the world for 2 hours. I also think that tachibana has some loose nuts in her head for believing that sasaki has or used to have the powers like haruhi since there is no solid evidence for her to have the same power and even the time-traveler fujiwara and the alien souo doesn't cooperate with her.
jesse*
Astral Realm

Post by jesse* »

They're opposites. Notice that the Koizumi was the last to prove himself to Kyon (come to think of it, Mikuru didn't know she'd proved herself till Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody) and anti-Koizumi is the first. Where Koizumi comes across as charming Kyouko comes across as ingratiating, etc.

The meaning - a powerful one to me - of the Haruhi series is the question: Would you really want to live in a fictional world? Do you need to escape into fiction to be special? Haruhi thinks so, but she finds herself enjoying normal (non-science fiction-y) life with friends more than she probably would if she knew what was going on. Kyon comes to really enjoy life too. When the question comes to him in a literal way in Disappearance he decides that an abnormal world that's familiar is better than a normal world out of nowhere, which is really the same question. Um.

The anti-SOS Brigade are the forces of making things boring again. Where Haruhi would save the world by overloading it with fun Sasaki would save the world by leaching the fun from it. Kyouko's closed space is gentle, peaceful... boring. Koizumi's is a kaiju flick. Haruhi is a rainy day when you're bursting with energy and just have to go do something. Sasaki is an unnaturally nice day that you spend wasting time and hate yourself for when night comes. Haruhi's the growth and sunshine in springtime, Sasaki's the return of bugs and allergies and trivial stuff. I don't really know the meanings of their names but I know Haru means spring and I think Sasa means something like small or trival.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

and that is pretty much the most spot-on post ever, Jesse. Great work.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

jesse* wrote:They're opposites. Notice that the Koizumi was the last to prove himself to Kyon (come to think of it, Mikuru didn't know she'd proved herself till Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody) and anti-Koizumi is the first. Where Koizumi comes across as charming Kyouko comes across as ingratiating, etc.
Actually, "Fujiwara" was the first Anti-Dan member to prove himself to Kyon, back in Volume 7, back before he got a "name", when he did his little disappearing trick from a watched van. Although I guess that just does a better job of showing your point, since Mikuru didn't really prove herself to Kyon until BLR. Kyon himself "says":

[quote=""Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody""]Now that I think about it, when Asahina-san declared that she was from the future, there was no one else to verify her claim. It wasn't until I encountered another grown-up version of Asahina-san that I truly believed her story, yet I still can't deny having suspicions about some sort of conspiracy behind this. Then wouldn't this be a great chance to really prove that "Asahina-san comes from the future"?[/quote]
Of course that doesn't mean I'm willing to buy out of the "Kyoko is a faker" camp just yet. I still think she's either powered down (if she really is attuned to the powerless Sasaki) or attuned to Haruhi like any other esper, and Suou was running the "light show" (that creepy, empty, soulless Closed Space had her fingerprints all over it).

Good job on the compare/contrast on Sasaki versus Haruhi, though. Cookies for you.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”