Author's Notes

General discussion related to this novel

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Author's Notes

Post by HolyCow »

I'll update this as soon as a chapter is complete. I recommend reading them to see what went through Otsuichi's mind when he wrote the stories.
'This time, I wanted to try my hand at something nice, something that left a sense of fulfillment'
I reckon he's kinda mad. How is GOTH nice and fulfiling in any way? O.o
/me claws out throat and dies
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by the_naming_game »

HolyCow:
Actually, so much is relative, since neither you nor I (right?) know what his other books are like. And you've got to admit, the ending to story 1, 暗黒系 GOTH,
(really tiny tiny non-plot spoiler)
Spoiler! :
really isn't depressing at all.
In fact, I'm starting to think now that I should avoid his earlier books and go for the later ones first.

AAAAANNNNNNNDDDD, you're one to talk, since you seem rather fulfilled by GOTH :D
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Well, it doesn't strike me as nice and fulfilling (unless you're talking about the sense of fulfillment one gets by chopping off a hand or something), but depressing, yes, in the later chapters. Voice was a great read for me, due to the massive psychological factors involved in that one (anger, curiosity, depression etc).

GOTH (the 1st story) was made out of blood, gore and tonnes of Yoru-moe.

WRISTCUT was full of Shinohara-insanity, long and complex philosophical sentences, and more Yoru-moe in the end.

DOG was full of, erm, dogs? And a little twist in the end in addition to more Yoru-moe (a slight detail that enhances her moeness IMO)

TWINS was full of Yoru-moe, Yoru-moe, and more Yoru-moe. 'Nuff said :P

GRAVE is full of unknown stuff since I haven't read it yet 8)

VOICE had lots and lots of human psychology going around, and a lot of intrigue (aka confusion if not read carefully). It also contains references to the earlier chapters and features some Yoru-moeness in the end.

I think you can guess which part of GOTH I'm really satisfied about... 8)
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by the_naming_game »

Okay, I have to apologize for not reading your post in its entirety, but as soon as I saw story titles, danger signals went off, and my visual circuits went into avoidance mode. However, given that I don't know how this thing ends, I'll give a few guesses:
  1. It ends happily, so at the end there's this feeling of relief.
  2. Otsuichi must be referring to the catharsis that you get after watching a tragedy... and even though I understand the concept, I never really experienced it personally. Pure tragedy does nothing for me.
  3. It ends in a such a way that you couldn't imagine it ending any other way. Thus you feel, wow, what a ride, how perfect... or something.
I agree with you on the Yoru moe, but I'm also in mild Boku-worship mode. (Ever notice what I refer to myself as whenever I (try) to write Japanese?) So I'm hoping that part doesn't dissappoint later either.
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

There's nothing spoilerish in my post, it just highlights the memorable parts of each chapter (for me at least).

How the story ends eh... I don't feel like spoiling anything, so it's classified information 8)

But I have to say that VOICE is going to be a monster to translate. At 100+ pages, it's more than the first two chapters put together :wink:
HolyCow

Re: Author's Notes

Post by HolyCow »

The novel has been published, therefore all content on the wiki, save the 1st chapter which I will leave as a teaser, will be purged.

For more info, see here: http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewto ... =37&t=2392

Return to “GOTH”