Rule Ratification: New Project Startup (Wiki) Version 1.0

Discuss all topics related to the existing rules and policies

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Vote to officially ratify the New Project Startup Guidelines (Wiki) and approve from draft status

Yes - I read the proposed rules and vote to officially approve them
82%
No - There is something seriously wrong. I object.
12%
Wait - Please make some minor corrections first. I'll change my vote after it's satisfactory.
6%

Total votes: 17

cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Rule Ratification: New Project Startup (Wiki) Version 1.

Post by cloudii »

Kira0802 wrote:I object to this part:
OR: At least one full chapter of the series is fully translated AND an active translator expects he/she is capable of completing one volume in the foreseeable future.
It needs to be removed. It leaves so much up to interpretation...
Lol Kira, I never liked that clause myself. But it's only there because I didn't make up any rules myself. That's what we currently do... @___@;;;; I'm assuming that because you wanted to remove it, you were fine with the 1 volume requirement. (I'll count that as a vote, unless you mention you didn't mean it that way).

-----------
Votes
Vote: What should be the minimum requirements for full project approval? You must give a concrete number of chapters/pages/percentage.
  • 1 volume OR 1 chapter (+activity) - 1 votes (Darklor)
  • 1 volume ONLY - 5 votes (Victorrama, Cloudii, Chancs, Cthaeh, Kira082)
  • 1 volume (approximately), but lower in special circumstances - 1 votes (Misogi)
Darklor wanted "less requirements", so I've put him as a vote for the current requirements, just to reflect his voice.
------

In short, we generally seem in favor of the "One Volume Only" requirement.

Thus, I've changed the rules now to reflect that. If you disagree, vote here and get your friends to vote here. We're running each point in the rules by strict majority. That's all. xD

---
Note: I'm personally satisfied with the rules as they are now, although people seem to be at disagreement about the forum feedback threads. Will address that soon. I've placed an overall vote for "Yes" for myself.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Alright, so here's what I've extracted about all of the feedback thread comments. It's a bit complicated, so... I wonder if we can find a solution that works for everybody? Warning: If you guys cannot vote and form a clear majority, the current written rules will not be changed.

Abbreviations:
FPS - Future Project Suggestion (forum thread)
TFT - Teaser Feedback Thread

Quick Summary of what each person wants (correct me if I'm wrong):

• Bicube: Wants FPS to be optional, but would like to outline advantages of having one.

Chancs: Wants FPS to be mandatory (and TFT removed). However, when the project moves along, that single thread should be moved around the forums.

Darklor: Wants FPS removed from rules rules. However, wants some form of forum feedback thread to be mandatory.

Cthaeh: Just wants a single forum thread per series. Either move a thread, or lock the old ones.

Victorrama: Wants FPS removed from startup rules. However, when a new translation project starts, IF an FPS exists, it should be moved along. Otherwise, a TFT should be made.

Here's the votes. To make this go faster, VOTE FOR EVERY QUESTION.

0). Should the Wiki Project Creator ensure there's a forum feedback thread?
  1. Yes (Mandatory). If a forum feedback thread doesn't exist, they're required to create one. --- (0)
  2. No (Optional). However, recommend that they create one. --- (0)
  3. No. Don't give any mention to forum feedback threads in Project Startup Guidelines. --- (0)
    ^Personally abstaining from vote for this question. I don't care strongly enough to have an opinion for this one.
1). About the Future Project Suggestion Poll in these rules...
  1. Should be kept in the startup rules and MANDATORY --- (0)
  2. Should be kept in the startup rules and OPTIONAL (current) --- (0)
  3. Should be removed from the startup rules (FPS will still exist on forums, though). --- (1) Cloudii
2). Should there only be one feedback-related forum thread for a project, at a time? If yes, vote on the best way to maintain this.
  1. Yes, lock old threads --- (0)
  2. Yes, have only one thread and keep moving it (merge posts for any extra threads accidentally created)--- (1) Cloudii
  3. No. Keep the feedback threads separate and keep them unlocked. --- (0)
3). If you said "B" to Question 2, what should we do about the poll questions?
  • Please give an written response. My response: IMO, I would edit the poll questions to the new poll, and have all the old votes reset (I checked, it's doable). I don't really care about keeping a record of the old poll results. If you cared that much about the historical record, just write the results down and post them before you change the poll and reset the votes.

Btw, I should point out. While it's great that we vote on moving threads/merging threads, etc...

We need active forums mods who will do it. I'd volunteer myself if I had powers but... I should mention that the thread-moving suggestion isn't feasible unless there's more mods or privileges to move threads or merge posts are expanded to the editor usergroup.

If the thread moving thing gets voted in, IMO, victorrama has the most practical proposal for implementing it.
  • 1). (Assume FPS is no longer part of the project startup rules.)

2). The creator of the new project overview page should check the forums.
    • 2a). If a suggestion thread exists in FPS, do not create a TFT. Link the FPS to the project page, and post on the Administration Contact page to get the thread moved to TFT. (sidenote: what about the poll questions?)

2b). If a suggestion thread does not exist in FPS, create a TFT.
    3). When the project gets fully approved, the supervisor should move the TFT to Aux Brigades. If the supervisor is too lazy (or without forum rights), he/she should make a to-do-list of thread moves on the Administration Contact page.
EDIT: Added a question 0
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
victorrama
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: Too many to list, just ask

Post by victorrama »

First of all thanks you cloudii you deliver what i meant much better than i could :D

My vote :
1. C
2. B
3. for the poll questions, i think leave it as is.

reason : i believe not everyone really pay attention to that poll. besides, it's still relevant since its 'still' a teaser with not even 1 volume completed and translators can quit anytime. when they do and the project is neglected, maybe. just maybe someone will see that the demand is high (from poll and comments) and pick it up. and yea, more mods are needed.... that's quite an issue.

oh forgot to add : if this is approved I'll chanhe my.vote to yes :D

edit :
there's question 0 ?! my answer is A of course.
and changed my.vote to yes since overall i agree now.
Last edited by victorrama on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just a passing by translator, editor, typesetter, writer, meeper.

Translating : The Maso's TL project
and also other series.

“The mind, at times, takes masochistic delight in suffering.” ― Saurbh Katyal, Seduced by Murder
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

cloud wrote: Here's the votes. To make this go faster, VOTE FOR EVERY QUESTION.

1. Yes (Mandatory). If a forum feedback thread doesn't exist, they're required to create one. --- (0)
  3. No. Don't give any mention to forum feedback threads in Project Startup Guidelines. --- (0)
    ^Personally abstaining from vote for this question. I don't care strongly enough to have an opinion for this one.
  3. Should be removed from the startup rules (FPS will still exist on forums, though). --- (1) Cloudii
2). Should there only be one feedback-related forum thread for a project, at a time? If yes, vote on the best way to maintain this.
  2. Yes, have only one thread and keep moving it (merge posts for any extra threads accidentally created)--- (1) Cloudii
0) A
1) A
2) B
3) Polls can be edited/changed. When introducing a series --- options of 'wish to see it translated' and such; when translation begins --- options of 'how do u find reading'
cloud wrote: Btw, I should point out. While it's great that we vote on moving threads/merging threads, etc...

We need active forums mods who will do it. I'd volunteer myself if I had powers but... I should mention that the thread-moving suggestion isn't feasible unless there's more mods or privileges to move threads or merge posts are expanded to the editor usergroup.
Was doing a bit of tinkering... PEs can do move/merge/... etc. for FPS, AB and Hosted. For rest of the threads/section it is limited to change mode. (off topic)
  • 1). (Assume FPS is no longer part of the project startup rules.)

2). The creator of the new project overview page should check the forums.
    • 2a). If a suggestion thread exists in FPS, do not create a TFT. Link the FPS to the project page, and post on the Administration Contact page to get the thread moved to TFT.

2b). If a suggestion thread does not exist in FPS, create a TFT.
    3). When the project gets fully approved, the supervisor should move the TFT to Aux Brigades. If the supervisor is too lazy (or without forum rights), he/she should make a to-do-list of thread moves on the Administration Contact page.
+1 to the above sweet and short opinion.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

0/ A
1/ C
2/ B
3/ The usual ones.

Nothing to add in Victorrama's process.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Re-listing vote count.
  1. Yes (Mandatory). If a forum feedback thread doesn't exist, they're required to create one. --- (3) Misogi, Chancs, Cloudii
    ^Now decided to vote for A myself xD.
  1. Should be kept in the startup rules and MANDATORY --- (1) Chancs
  3. Should be removed from the startup rules (FPS will still exist on forums, though). --- (3) Cloudii, Misogi, Victorrama
  2. Yes, have only one thread and keep moving it (merge posts for any extra threads accidentally created)--- (4) Cloudii, Misogi, Chancs, Victorrama

And as for victorrama's shortened process (whether or not FPS is mentioned or not), there are +4 people in favor.
SoulTranslator
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by SoulTranslator »

Sorry for the late participation, I voted yes...
cloud wrote: Here's the votes. To make this go faster, VOTE FOR EVERY QUESTION.

0) A
1) C
2) B
3) quoting chancs' opinion
Time is illusion, eternity is now...

----

From the Dark Legion, Nocturne Sky Translation
obsidian pegasus
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by obsidian pegasus »

I agree, for a full project, it needs to have more than one chapter. (otherwise it's just a teaser, and there's a section for those to be read anyways, so its not like anyone can have an issue anyways.).

Thank you guys for going over and reformatting this.
黒曜石ペガサス
私の悪い文法のため申し訳ありません
Devenk83
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Devenk83 »

cloud wrote:
  • Please give an written response. My response: IMO, I would edit the poll questions to the new poll, and have all the old votes reset (I checked, it's doable). I don't really care about keeping a record of the old poll results. If you cared that much about the historical record, just write the results down and post them before you change the poll and reset the votes.
0) A
1) Blank vote
2) B
3) Ditto
Ancien traducteur amateur EN/FR / Ex-Amateur EN/FR Translator
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Re-listing vote count.
  1. Yes (Mandatory). If a forum feedback thread doesn't exist, they're required to create one. --- (5) Misogi, Chancs, Cloudii, Devenk, SoulTranslator
  1. Should be kept in the startup rules and MANDATORY --- (1) Chancs
  3. Should be removed from the startup rules (FPS will still exist on forums, though). --- (4) Cloudii, Misogi, Victorrama, SoulTranslator
  2. Yes, have only one thread and keep moving it (merge posts for any extra threads accidentally created)--- (6) Cloudii, Misogi, Chancs, Victorrama, Devenk, SoulTranslator
4). What should be the minimum requirements for full project approval? You must give a concrete number of chapters/pages/percentage.
  1. 1 volume OR 1 chapter +activity --- (1) Darklor
  2. 1 volume ONLY --- (5) Victorrama, Cloudii, Chancs, Cthaeh, Kira082
  3. 1 volume (approximately), but lower in special circumstances --- (1) Misogi
5). If the ONE VOLUME requirement gets voted in, what should we do about current series with less than one volume on the sidebar?.
  1. Keep them on as Full Projects --- (0)
  2. Re-categorize all of them as Teasers (remove from sidebar) --- (0)
  3. Re-categorize only the inactive ones, but leave the active ones on the sidebar (give active TL a choice) ---- (1) Cloudii
Added a question. Not sure if you voted for a specific option Obsidian... so I didn't put you anywhere. Let me know if you want to be counted.

It looks there's a clear majority for removing mention to FSB and proceed with victor's proposed feedback thread moving thing. I'll change the rules to reflect the current majority opinion when I have time later today.
Devenk83
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Devenk83 »

cloud wrote: 4). What should be the minimum requirements for full project approval? You must give a concrete number of chapters/pages/percentage.
  1. 1 volume OR 1 chapter +activity --- (1) Darklor
  2. 1 volume ONLY --- (5) Victorrama, Cloudii, Chancs, Cthaeh, Kira082
  3. 1 volume (approximately), but lower in special circumstances --- (1) Misogi
5). If the ONE VOLUME requirement gets voted in, what should we do about current series with less than one volume on the sidebar?.
  1. Keep them on as Full Projects --- (0)
  2. Re-categorize all of them as Teasers (remove from sidebar) --- (0)
  3. Re-categorize only the inactive ones, but leave the active ones on the sidebar (give active TL a choice) ---- (1) Cloudii
4)C. One shot can have special treatment.
5)B
Ancien traducteur amateur EN/FR / Ex-Amateur EN/FR Translator
yoyoyo5678
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by yoyoyo5678 »

0). A
1) C
2) B
4) C
5) C
Link to my user on B-T
vallor
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: 変態王子と笑わない猫。 (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)

Post by vallor »

0) B
1) C
2) A
3) /
4) C
5) B
French Editor and Translator

What I'm doing very very slowly
----------
Yevgeny Yevtushenko wrote:Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Nothing changed in my votes, no opinion on 5.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

0)A - and I mean it should have at least a project thread that displays that it isnt a suggestion anymore but already a wiki project

1)C - We already get enough sugestions in the forum even without advertising - also this part would suggest that a suggestion at Baka-Tsuki would have a meaning, what isnt true since all translators decides for themself what they want translate

2)D - with that I mean it could be appropriate to have two or even more separate threads, depending on the activity, since youre talking about a full project status after one completed volume. Btw. what would you do with a project with more than one translator working on different volumes (which would have together the amount of a full volume translated, but are in iteslf incomplete)? I am talking about a thread for the readers to discuss the series (and maybe just for "thank you"s or feedback like that) and a thread for translators and editors to discuss and define the used terms in the translation or just the translation.

3) Change the poll according the content - btw with the two threads we currently usally have had was/is it possible to merge the FPS into FTT and keep the FTT poll... - I mean does an active project really need a question like "Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?"

4) I still think a full volume would be too much and be a big hurdle for new projects - Yes teaser a currently at least a little visible but not that much. I am still for at least a chapter, but not a full volume.

5) Re-Categorize them, but let them easy be found - with that I mean dont hide them in the teasers - as Bestandsschutz= provision made to safeguard existing standards
Last edited by Darklor on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: missed a word and part of
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.

Return to “Feedback on Rules”