Rule Ratification: Project Conventions (Wiki) Version 1.0

Discuss all topics related to the existing rules and policies

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Vote to officially ratify the Project Conventions (Wiki) and approve from draft status

Yes - I read the proposed rules and vote to officially approve them
89%
No - There is something seriously wrong. I object.
No votes
Wait - Please make some minor corrections first. I'll change my vote after it's satisfactory.
11%

Total votes: 19

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Rule Ratification: Project Conventions (Wiki) Version 1.

Post by Misogi »

This board should be added somewhere.

It sums up all the spaces to put, that may be quite handy. Dunno if it's suited for this guideline, though.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
rydenius
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rydenius »

cloudii wrote:so…… what do you propose we do about it?
If the intent is to restrict the translator to a single volume at a time, I would suggest editing #4 from:
4). A Translator may register for no more than ONE VOLUME of chapters at a time on the Project
to:
4). A Translator may only register for chapters within a single VOLUME at a time.
(This limitation could be useful for extreme cases such as that discussed in the Contributor Agreement ratification thread. Though maybe if there's someone that wants #4 removed, there could be a vote on whether to include it at all? My opinion is more along the lines of if it's included, the wording should be more precise as to what is being limited. :| )
cloudii wrote:Will be in the editor's guide/walkthrough.
Sounds promising :D
cloudii wrote:[Discussion on tense]
Spoiler! :
I'm reminded of Kawakami Hiromi's short story Kami-sama which starts out (in the original Japanese) in present tense for the first paragraph where the scene for story is set and then switches to mostly past tense for the remainder of the story, but while still maintaining a sense of the events happening in the present.

I guess if I had to quantify (from my limited experience/learning/resources) the main difference in use of tense between Japanese (I have no experience with Chinese) and English, it would be that the Japanese tenses (completed vs. not yet competed) refer to the state of the action/object at point of time being discussed instead of the point of time in which the narrator exists. I wonder if that allows the use of present tense to create a sense of fairy-tale like atmosphere, sort of like: "As we look in on the world of ___ in the distant past, this is what is happening." In which case I can see how that'd be difficult to convey without making alterations to the original, and a literal translation probably would sound strange in English (and still not convey the sense intended in the original).

I'd have to look back over what I've chosen previously when translating, but for more usual(?) narration in the cases where the author switches to present tense (from past tense) mid-stream, I have probably resorted to a continuous tense or a continuous tense + an infinitive depending on whether it's a habitual action being described or not... hmm... now that I'm thinking about it I'll pay closer attention.

As for English reading, thinking back, the only non-past tense novels(?) that I've read were probably "choose your own adventure" books, and that was as an elementary school kid... lol.
All that said, reading over the guidelines regarding tense again, they seem fine to me as currently written, particularly with the division for narration vs. thought/dialogue/monologues, and with the caveat: "default". :wink:
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

cloudii wrote: (discussion on inactive translator removal policy)...

Also, the clause of contacting the Project Manager is supposed to play two roles. A): The PM knows of the original translators is actually active or not. B): The PM could try contacting the inactive translator. C): The PM could just say no because he/she knows the (potentially) inactive translator already started some translations, or for some other reason. Furthermore, the PM could opt to ask the interested translator to wait longer than two weeks.

I guess my concern is that there's an active translator who wants to translate (but can't because of logistical restrictions). Compared with an inactive one, I'd rather let the active one translate sooner.
I was thinking along the lines of if there is no project manager listed, then as stated now it would just require 2 weeks to remove someone without oversight. I guess with the recent focus on the rules that might be a rarity now, but you could add "(or a wiki supervisor)" to provide a backup if there is no project manager.

Also, I think an important part would be to define a minimum length of time for "apparently inactive" to apply. I think it should be something like 2 months of general inactivity, plus at least 2 weeks inability to contact. I lean towards these longer timeframes to help translators who may not have as much time to be as active as others, such that they may only need to stop by BT once every few months to put up a chapter. If this was a business instead of a hobby, I would expect people to be more responsive; but I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to not stop by BT for a few weeks or a month. I just wouldn't want to be overly harsh on such people.
Linkmet95
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Linkmet95 »

I voted yes. Ill read again later in more detail if there is something ill let you know.
Sorry if my english is bad, is not my native language and i don't know what to put here xD
cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by cloudii »

Hey everyone, wakeup call~!

Cloud's vanished for a while and people stopped commenting. :C However, it'd be nice to clean up these rules and get them cleared. Thus, if you've voted already and had your thing fixed, please reconsider and revote. We'll go ahead with the approval at 10 yes votes.
Misogi wrote:This board should be added somewhere.

It sums up all the spaces to put, that may be quite handy. Dunno if it's suited for this guideline, though.
I feel like it fits better in a "Baka-Tsuki Manual of Style". I'm too lazy to make one for English, although I know AAkira's tried making one before. I suppose for now you can keep it in the French guidelines since it's ENG->FR punctuation?
rydenius wrote:If the intent is to restrict the translator to a single volume at a time, I would suggest editing #4 from:
4). A Translator may register for no more than ONE VOLUME of chapters at a time on the Project
to:
4). A Translator may only register for chapters within a single VOLUME at a time.
Done.
Cthaeh wrote: I was thinking along the lines of if there is no project manager listed, then as stated now it would just require 2 weeks to remove someone without oversight. I guess with the recent focus on the rules that might be a rarity now, but you could add "(or a wiki supervisor)" to provide a backup if there is no project manager.

Also, I think an important part would be to define a minimum length of time for "apparently inactive" to apply. I think it should be something like 2 months of general inactivity, plus at least 2 weeks inability to contact. I lean towards these longer timeframes to help translators who may not have as much time to be as active as others, such that they may only need to stop by BT once every few months to put up a chapter. If this was a business instead of a hobby, I would expect people to be more responsive; but I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to not stop by BT for a few weeks or a month. I just wouldn't want to be overly harsh on such people.
Changed and done.
Linkmet95 wrote:I voted yes. Ill read again later in more detail if there is something ill let you know.
<3

-------------

PLEASE VOTE YES IF YOU AGREE. Make Cloud happy by making this all happen faster. <3
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Switching my Wait vote to Yes.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
rydenius
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rydenius »

Looks good. Voted yes.

Return to “Feedback on Rules”