Questions about the Project Petition guidelines

Discuss all topics related to the existing rules and policies

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

McKnight
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Questions about the Project Petition guidelines

Post by McKnight »

Just registered an account here today, and I'm seeking a translations of this novel called Mother: The Original Story. Tried to PM someone, but was told that I can't do that until I participate more in this forum (not one of the reasons mentioned under the relevant FAQ). So, I was gonna make a poll instead in the Project Petition subforum, but there are a few criteria there that I need help understanding.
4) You must have the raw and also state the language it is in, so you are able to pass it on to a Translator.
Hoping not to mail my copy of the book, given how much I had to shell out for it. I do have a scanner at home, but it's the kind where you lay something down and keep it pressed down, obviously designed mainly for documents and photos. With a book, everything nere the spine on any given double-page would fold inwards, and I don't wanna press down too hard on it and possibly break it just for that stuff. And, I have heard of the Amazon Kindle, but we don't have one of those, and I don't have the budget to buy one.

Are there any other options I could consider?
The must important point, you MUST have a willing Translator who must register on this forum, and verify in a written post.
That's exactly who I just tried to contact for, but this site won't let me PM anyone until I have some number of posts on the forum.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Questions about the Project Petition guidelines

Post by KuroiHikari »

You'll have a better chance looking for your own translator outside this forum. Since, I believe translators here are either already working on something they like or have already disappeared.

You'll need 5 posts to be elevated to a normal user.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

McKnight wrote:Just registered an account here today, and I'm seeking a translations of this novel called Mother: The Original Story. Tried to PM someone, but was told that I can't do that until I participate more in this forum (not one of the reasons mentioned under the relevant FAQ). So, I was gonna make a poll instead in the Project Petition subforum, but there are a few criteria there that I need help understanding.
4) You must have the raw and also state the language it is in, so you are able to pass it on to a Translator.
Hoping not to mail my copy of the book, given how much I had to shell out for it. I do have a scanner at home, but it's the kind where you lay something down and keep it pressed down, obviously designed mainly for documents and photos. With a book, everything nere the spine on any given double-page would fold inwards, and I don't wanna press down too hard on it and possibly break it just for that stuff. And, I have heard of the Amazon Kindle, but we don't have one of those, and I don't have the budget to buy one.

Are there any other options I could consider?
The must important point, you MUST have a willing Translator who must register on this forum, and verify in a written post.
That's exactly who I just tried to contact for, but this site won't let me PM anyone until I have some number of posts on the forum.
What you can do is to post in future project suggestions as detailed info as possible the story, though the chances of people here getting involved is pretty slim.
McKnight
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by McKnight »

KuroiHikari wrote:You'll have a better chance looking for your own translator outside this forum. Since, I believe translators here are either already working on something they like or have already disappeared.
And I thought the point of even coming here in the first place was exactly to find people willing to translate stuff, especially since this site was one that a friend of mine recommended to me after I just gave up my own attempt at translating MTOS. If it isn't, then what's the point in seeing how many people would like to see something translated if someone plans to work on it anyway?
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Well, at least your chances can be improved a bit here, as we have a public accustomed to LNs.

For information, translations depend mainly on the translators' choices, way more than the readers' interests.
To sum it up :
- A LN that interests a lot of people but has no potential translator will remain untranslated.
- An unknown LN which has someone interested in working on it will be translated.

This is fully understandable, as translators are doing their work without asking something in exchange, so forcing them isn't respectful at all.

Anyway, try to create a thread on the Future Projects Suggestions, and good luck for finding a translator.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

The topic that you make in the future project suggestion would be the one trying to appeal to people to translate. I guess maybe the term outside is a little strong, but it is in response to you trying to make a pm and the fact that this forum isn't what I would say popular or active.

Note that the people who have earn the project translator status already have things to do, so making a pm to all the project translators wouldn't be something that would help.

In all honest truth, I don't think the kinks in the future suggestion forum has been sorted out yet. We do want to encourage new people to try and contribute but imo we're not really there yet.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

McKnight wrote:
KuroiHikari wrote:You'll have a better chance looking for your own translator outside this forum. Since, I believe translators here are either already working on something they like or have already disappeared.
And I thought the point of even coming here in the first place was exactly to find people willing to translate stuff, especially since this site was one that a friend of mine recommended to me after I just gave up my own attempt at translating MTOS. If it isn't, then what's the point in seeing how many people would like to see something translated if someone plans to work on it anyway?
Because you have a misunderstanding of this site like 80% of the leechers. Aside from the initial Haruhi team, Baka-Tsuki is pretty much made up of independent translators who wanted to fan-translate something on their own volition and came here to upload their translations because:
1. they found it a hassle to make their own site,
2. not too sure whether they would be committed to follow through a series they started and it will be pointless to make a site in that case,
3. BT already has a large following and they can get audience easily
4. people who will freely fix their grammar and English
5. place to consult other translators on translation stuff
For me, I came here primarily because of (1)

In short this is not a place with a tight group of translators who can be recruited or tasked to work on something.
McKnight
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by McKnight »

Larethian wrote:Because you have a misunderstanding of this site like 80% of the leechers. Aside from the initial Haruhi team, Baka-Tsuki is pretty much made up of independent translators who wanted to fan-translate something on their own volition and came here to upload their translations because:
1. they found it a hassle to make their own site,
2. not too sure whether they would be committed to follow through a series they started and it will be pointless to make a site in that case,
3. BT already has a large following and they can get audience easily
4. people who will freely fix their grammar and English
5. place to consult other translators on translation stuff
For me, I came here primarily because of (1)

In short this is not a place with a tight group of translators who can be recruited or tasked to work on something.
Okay, then. So far, I was just eight pages short of fully translating chapter 2 of that book, even though my own translation is quite a mess as it is, before giving it a rest just two days ago. That means that at least I've been making my own effort as well. So, when I have the whole book translated to the best of my ability, and also transcribe everything in its original Japanese for comparison, I suppose that would be the time to ask around here for help. Right?
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

It'll be quite hard to find someone willing to check the whole book for you. But you can ask about sentences you're not sure of over at viewforum.php?f=55

You'll only need a chapter to be allowed to put up a project page + etc on to the Wiki.
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

I didn't know where else to post this so I will post it here.

On the wiki, under the 'Light Novels' drop-down on the sidebar, are teaser projects supposed to be listed there? Because I saw 'Boku to Kanojo no Game Sensou'
listed there and it's a teaser project and moreover, it only has a prologue and one chapter released.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

^ re
I'm pretty sure the reason it still has the teaser category is just that no one removed that tag when it was added to the sidebar. Technically, the requirement to be upgraded from a teaser to the sidebar is just one completed chapter, so Boku to Kanojo no Game Sensou is in the right place by that standard.

There was a little discussion within the last month or two about raising that bar a little to prune the sidebar of projects like this one that don't have an active translator and only have a little translated content. But I don't think the discussion reached the point of actually becoming a change in policy; I thought it was a good idea. I can't remember which thread that was in...

EDIT: Found it. That discussion started here.
octapusxft
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by octapusxft »

I am having about the same problem as the OP right now.
I have found everything the Project Petition guidelines required apart from a translator.

How does one even start to look for a potential translator in the big world that is the internet?
Always wondering why do translators go AWOL?
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Post your project in the Future Projects Suggestions sub-forum.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

octapusxft wrote:I am having about the same problem as the OP right now.
I have found everything the Project Petition guidelines required apart from a translator.

How does one even start to look for a potential translator in the big world that is the internet?
Post your petition in the Future Project Suggestions sub-forum and also make sure to read the FPS guidelines. Even then, it all depends on the mood and interest of the translators who happen to stumble upon your topic, so just have patience and don't lose hope. :wink:
octapusxft
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by octapusxft »

Rohan123 wrote:
octapusxft wrote:I am having about the same problem as the OP right now.

Post your petition in the Future Project Suggestions sub-forum and also make sure to read the FPS guidelines. Even then, it all depends on the mood and interest of the translators who happen to stumble upon your topic, so just have patience and don't lose hope. :wink:
Thank you for your reply. Thus I posted it on the Future Project Suggestions.
Even if we do not find any translator for it I will be happy that I at least tried :)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6087
Always wondering why do translators go AWOL?

Return to “Feedback on Rules”