Two translators per volume rule

Discuss all topics related to the existing rules and policies

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Dohma
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Two translators per volume rule

Post by Dohma »

So...
I'm really thrilled right now, because three translators joined / semi-joined my project this week, but it made me wonder about the 'two translators per volume'-rule.

Basically the new translators can pick up whatever chapter they want to work on, but I'd like to keep my own translations updating in chronological order. This, however, might clash in the future.

The main reason, I believe, for this rule is to keep the writing style consistent. But if I can guarantee this consistency, are exceptions allowed?
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Re: Two translators per volume rule

Post by Rohan123 »

Dohma wrote:So...
I'm really thrilled right now, because three translators joined / semi-joined my project this week, but it made me wonder about the 'two translators per volume'-rule.

Basically the new translators can pick up whatever chapter they want to work on, but I'd like to keep my own translations updating in chronological order. This, however, might clash in the future.

The main reason, I believe, for this rule is to keep the writing style consistent. But if I can guarantee this consistency, are exceptions allowed?
If you're the supervisor for the project, I don't think there will be any problems. You can assign however many TL's you want.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

In theory, this rule guarantees that the writing style is consistent.

However, there are cases when you can forget that rule :
- If the main translator is the supervisor and edits all the translations.
- If a stalled project or volume is restarted from where it stopped.
- Episodic chapters, or side-stories.
- If the editor is talented enough to keep the same style on all chapters (better with JP-EN editors).
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Dohma
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dohma »

I see,

Well I'm both the main translator and supervisor at the moment, and I intend to check all the translations for consistency - especially because two will translate it from the Chinese version. So I will allow more translators per volume for now and see how it goes. If things get out of hand I can always start implementing the rule again.

Thank you both.

Return to “Feedback on Rules”