why not "Kaze no Stigma"?

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you want "kaze no stigma" as the next project?

Yes
79%
No
14%
wtf is it about give more info or stfu
7%

Total votes: 28

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

onizuka-gto wrote:
TheGiftedMonkey wrote: I got my Italian brows trimmed today. 8) Its teh hawt!

Your charm attribute against Oriental beauties just dropped from double digits into decimals.

No Eyebrows.

No Bijins for you.

:roll:
I said trimmed, not shaved off completely. :? They are much cleaner and defined. 8)
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by the_naming_game »

Alright, sorry for the delay. T-Yesterday was unexpectedly hectic.

erehwon:
 帰参 【きさん】 (n,vs) returning to the service of one's master; ED
 帰参、そして――
 Returning to Serve the/one's ____, and Then―

Without context, it is vague. The meaning "master" is clear here, but the nature of the master would help the title. Is it a master like "master of the house"? Or is it a shogun? Etc. "Master" alone has certain connotations like "I serve my Master, Sauron" etc. And thus, I pass on the translation burden on to someone else!

Chapter 4: 帰参、そして―― R-? (Word it as you will; you know as much as I do now.)
 Chapter 6: 決戦 Decisive Battle

----
 頼通 Yorimichi (賴通 - father of Juuga)
 慎吾 Shingo (You were correct)
 大神武哉 Oogami Takeya (this is nitpicky, but since we're doing "Yuuki Shingo" then Ogami -> Oogami)

Jumpyshoes:
(By the way, thanks for allowing me to batch process these.)

Just in order to help you interpret parts that sound strange --

(1) Japanese -> (2) thought -> (3) rearrange thought for English -> (4) English

Most of my mistakes will be from (1) to (2), and then (2) to (3) --
  • most things that don't make sense are because I didn't understand the Japanese fully.
  • most things that sound awkward are because I didn't want to drastically rearrange the thought for English.
So if you see something strange like "...between that presence, and Sakamoto and Shinji." it's because "Sakamoto and Shinji" was actually in the original text -- I will rarely add something that wasn't in the original text, though I might leave things out. Some expressions are just hard to translate. Like "cut something and send it flying" and "cut something and split it" -- which I will translate to simply to just "slice" and so on, most of the time.

I'm not saying you shouldn't change things like that (in that particular case, it was probably the best thing to do -- there probably wasn't any good way to have "Sakamoto and Shinji" in that sentence. And honestly, I can't say with any confidence what the difference in feel would be between "坂本と真治" and something like ... maybe "他の二人", "あの二人", or ...), but just saying that for the most part, you can assume that most of the awkwardness is an artifact of something in the Japanese, filtered incompletely through my (attempted) translation.

So that may or may not help interpretation... moving on --

----
 And then, with the face of someone who has been completely made a fool of, he asked Kazuma.
 そして、馬鹿にしきった顔つき和麻問う。

Shinji is the one whose face is that of one being made a fool of. Consider the context: he has just accepted a bad-faith offer. From the start, Kazuma has not liked Sakamoto, and he refused the offer.

Japanese-wise, this is actually not a tricky sentence at all, except for the "馬鹿にしきった" construction that some people may not have seen. So anyone with a few months of Japanese, or hey, even a few days or a few hours, if it's targetted information, can confirm the basic "who is doing what to who, and in what manner."

----
"sucking your finger" -- this is explained here, in the translator notes.... which haven't been migrated to the wiki yet, thus the confusion, I suppose.

As for whether or not it is a complete sentence. Dialogue. Complete sentences? Not always, you know!
  • "Hmmph, coward, sucking your finger." is very similar to
  • "You idiot, just standing there and taking it, huh?" and
  • "Hey, you over there, riding the red bike. Lunch money, now."
----
note: "youngest child of the branch family" = insult.

"Model example, eh. Didn't you (just) say that? Just like the youngest child of the branch family."
「手本、ね。言うじゃないか。分家の末っ子ごときが」

My first interpretation was:
 "It's just like the youngest child of the branch family to say something like that."

But upon looking closer, I see that it's an inverted sentence structure, in fragments. So the better interpretation is:
 "Model example, eh. Isn't it someone like you, the youngest child of the branch family, who's saying that?"

Except Japanese allows a lot more freedom in phrase ordering, so the actual breakdown is, in broken English:
 "Model example, eh. Isn't that who's saying that? Someone like you, the youngest child of the branch family."

Note how the 3rd sentence really feels like it should come before the 2nd. Yet in Japanese, this is the correct positioning. I have this aversion to switching sentences around in translation, but anyway... I leave it to the editors now.

----
"10 seconds"
 和麻に遅れること十秒以上、妖気が黒く凝り出すに至って、ようやく慎治も気づいた。
 Slower than Kazuma by over 10 seconds, the unearthly presence had materialized into something black, before Shinji, too, gradually began to notice.

erehwon has the right interpretation. Shinji is 10 seconds slow. Perhaps this for a reword: "He was slower than Kazuma by over 10 seconds — the unearthly presence had materialized into something black, before Shinji, too, gradually began to notice." Or switch "he" and "Shinji" --

But in any case, English isn't that comfortable cramming too many concepts into a single sentence. There really are quite a few in this sentence. "10 seconds slower", "gradually", "began to notice", "Shinji, too"; and it doesn't quite make sense, because "Shinji, too, gradually began to notice" generally implies that Kazuma was the first one who "gradually began to notice" and then Shinji later ALSO "gradually began to notice".

Am I making sense here? Basically, if you want to remove all the ambiguity in the English, you end up with a monster of a sentence.
 "The unearthly presence had materialized into something black, before Shinji also began to notice, but in contrast, he did so gradually, and he was over 10 seconds slower than Kazuma."

The black thing is starting to form but it has not yet "materialized" until it says so -- it was not visible before that. It was merely in the process of coming together. This is what Kazuma sensed. So perhaps you can reword the "tied its focus" to "directed its focus" to make it clear that it's not there yet.

----
 "It wasn't an easy business, that that kind of irresponsible agency person could survive."

To quote myself from earlier in the thread: "[TODO: what are they called? "agent" is a little vague.]"

Anyway, simplifying that sentence:
 "It wasn't an easy business, such that an irresponsible agency person could survive."

The basic meaning being:
 "It's a tough business. Irresponsible people wouldn't be able to survive in it."

random
Do I sense an Oni-TGM fanfiction in the works?
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

the_naming_game wrote: ----
"10 seconds"
 和麻に遅れること十秒以上、妖気が黒く凝り出すに至って、ようやく慎治も気づいた。
 Slower than Kazuma by over 10 seconds, the unearthly presence had materialized into something black, before Shinji, too, gradually began to notice.

erehwon has the right interpretation. Shinji is 10 seconds slow. Perhaps this for a reword: "He was slower than Kazuma by over 10 seconds — the unearthly presence had materialized into something black, before Shinji, too, gradually began to notice." Or switch "he" and "Shinji" --

But in any case, English isn't that comfortable cramming too many concepts into a single sentence. There really are quite a few in this sentence. "10 seconds slower", "gradually", "began to notice", "Shinji, too"; and it doesn't quite make sense, because "Shinji, too, gradually began to notice" generally implies that Kazuma was the first one who "gradually began to notice" and then Shinji later ALSO "gradually began to notice".

Am I making sense here? Basically, if you want to remove all the ambiguity in the English, you end up with a monster of a sentence.
 "The unearthly presence had materialized into something black, before Shinji also began to notice, but in contrast, he did so gradually, and he was over 10 seconds slower than Kazuma."

The black thing is starting to form but it has not yet "materialized" until it says so -- it was not visible before that. It was merely in the process of coming together. This is what Kazuma sensed. So perhaps you can reword the "tied its focus" to "directed its focus" to make it clear that it's not there yet.

random
Do I sense an Oni-TGM fanfiction in the works?
"Shinji didn't notice until 10 seconds after Kazuma that the unearthly presence had materialized into something black."

"After Kazuma, Shinji slowly started to realize, the unearthly presence had materialized into something black."

"The unearthly presence had materialized into something black, just about the time Shinji started to notice."

Here are a few sentences I came up with. Honestly adding the "10 seconds" in there doesn't sound right unless its "10 seconds too soon/late".

As for the fanfic... :?
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Felin wrote: Oni can I call u Lee (the bushy eyebrows)
For a moment there I thought you were referring to me... Lee's my family name :P

P/S: Jumpyshoes, the editor list is not for anyone who edits the wiki. If you want to become an editor, I suggest you PM Oni about it. Apparently there's something like a test for it :roll:
/me claws out throat and dies
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

P/S: Jumpyshoes, the editor list is not for anyone who edits the wiki. If you want to become an editor, I suggest you PM Oni about it. Apparently there's something like a test for it :roll:
yep, jump through a ring of fire... he already made me do it... :(
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

the_naming_game wrote:Alright, sorry for the delay. T-Yesterday was unexpectedly hectic.

erehwon:
 帰参 【きさん】 (n,vs) returning to the service of one's master; ED
 帰参、そして――
 Returning to Serve the/one's ____, and Then―

Without context, it is vague. The meaning "master" is clear here, but the nature of the master would help the title. Is it a master like "master of the house"? Or is it a shogun? Etc. "Master" alone has certain connotations like "I serve my Master, Sauron" etc. And thus, I pass on the translation burden on to someone else!

Chapter 4: 帰参、そして―― R-? (Word it as you will; you know as much as I do now.)
 Chapter 6: 決戦 Decisive Battle

----
 大神武哉 Oogami Takeya (this is nitpicky, but since we're doing "Yuuki Shingo" then Ogami -> Oogami)
Chapter 6: 決戦 Decisive Battle that's good, I was gonna use: Final Battle, it was off so I left it as battle...

Chapter 4:帰参、そして―― Returning to Serve the/one's ____, and Then―
Probably more adjuadant/participant then rather master relationship given the context
of the chapter

thxs. It's not a big deal to change this just ctrl-f... to bad no ctrl-replace all...

need more names
大神雅人 -
武志-

thxs.

This author writes in somewhat strange manner... Lot's of a long sentences that don't work well in English. Somewhat common in light novels. one sentence paragraph.

is twelve kingdoms considered a light novel?
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

That's not very good . . . . I kind of suck at English and just edit as I read . . . Oh well. Cheer me on as I pm Oni.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Sakamoto screamed while clinging onto Kazuma's legs. However Kazuma heartlessly kicked away his former client.

Thud!

Sakamoto's face began writhing in a new kind of pain, as it was mercilessly trampled upon. Since he didn't want to touch with anything beyond slippers, instead of stepping on him, he brang down his heel. It seemed like you could the skull making a creaking sound, but that wasn't a big problem.
The last sentence sounds wierd. Can anyone check the orginal text?
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

he brang down his heel.
THIS sounds ever weirder. Shouldn't it be "brought down his heel" or "brought his heel down"?
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

should be "brought down" , I think past tense of bring down...

The last sentence is pretty well translated in accordance to the original... I think it means even though sakamoto's gettting head step on and making a creaking sound, it's still alright, no problem, not really hurt...something like that
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

I've translated a couple of titles for the Ignition novels for now, but I'm not sure if they're accurate or not.

綾乃ちゃんの災難 - Ayano-chan's disaster. When I checked it up, 災難 meant 'misfortune', but IMO disaster sounds better here.

僕だけのマドンナ - Just my Madonna. I can't find a better way to put it. Any ideas?

煉くんの受難 - Ren-kun's suffering. Is there a better word for 受難? Suffering seems kinda heavy for a side story novel...
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by the_naming_game »

Having lived in a place where "brang" is used freely, both "brang" and "brought" have come to sound equally natural to me, even though I do use "brought" when I'm paying attention. One of those things where I know it's wrong, but it feels so right. Oh well.

Jumpyshoes:
  頭蓋骨が軋む音が聞こえたような気がしたが、大した問題ではない。
  There was a feeling like that of being able to hear the skull creaking, but that wasn't a big problem. (literal)
  It seemed/felt like you could almost hear the skull making a creaking sound, but that wasn't a big problem.
  It seemed/felt to Kazuma that he could almost hear the skull making a creaking sound, but that wasn't a big problem.

Japanese relies a lot on context, so the last is also possible. In any case, "It wasn't a big problem for Kazuma" is the most likely interpretation.

(The "almost" is an addition, strictly speaking, but it seems to go with the feeling. The rewordings sound more definite than the actual Japanese without it. The Japanese is talking about a feeling, not an actual fact that you feel.)

Or so on...

Good catch. See, this is what I mean when I say that I may leave stuff out, but I hardly ever add extra embellishments... the translating part keeps me too busy to play around decorating. Hey, it even keeps me too busy to write down everything I translate!

erehwon:
  大神雅人 - Oogami Masato
  武志- Takeshi

I have discovered that scans are a pain to ... scan through, especially with vertical text. In any case, I think it would speed me up a lot next time if I have an idea of in what situation, or approximately how far in to the section/chapter that the names first appear.

(By the way, do you have the Japanese raws? If you know hiragana, you might be able to pick your way through to the furigana as well. In this particular case, I'm actually no better at this than you are with Japanese. You might in fact be better at it, if you're used to looking at kanji.)

HolyCow:
  僕のマドンナだけ -- Just My Madonna (Only my Madonna is here. Only my Madonna remains. That kind of thing.)
  僕だけのマドンナ -- The Madonna that is mine only. (This Madonna belongs to me only.)

受難 -- "hardships"? But the word itself seems to be related to Western religion, martyrship, trials, etc. Is this book supposed to be lighthearted?
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

TNG: Sorry, yeh I forget how hard it is to find stuff on scans. Next time, I don't think there is that many names left, the next time I'll post the chapter, subchapter (1,2,3,4), and more exact coordinates. My Japanese is too bad for translating from Japanese -> English.

受難: Challenges? If you want to take a more positive tone.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

HolyCow wrote:綾乃ちゃんの災難 - Ayano-chan's disaster. When I checked it up, 災難 meant 'misfortune', but IMO disaster sounds better here.
The subbers use Ayano-chan's disaster. Ep 8. I think this should be okay . . . Well, I really can't say anything cause I don't understand Japanese . . .

For things like the sentence I posted before, can I just choose the one I like the best and just change it? Since I'm the only one really editing (for now hopefully). Oh yea, "I like It seemed like you could almost hear the skull making a creaking sound, but that wasn't a big problem."

Also, I'm pretty much done with chapter 1. Gonna finish everything that's up and check again. I have PALS this week and finals next, so don't count on me going fast.
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

well, another 25% done. I don't think each subchapter (1,2,3,4) is exactly 25% each... anyways 3 is done...

This whole part is not in the anime I think. lots of actions, takes time.

Return to “Kaze no Stigma”