BOOK 1 COMPLETED!!

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: BOOK 1 COMPLETED!!

Post by Hiyono »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:If the first chief of the Kannagi is only "allegedly" contractors, the Kannagis are way too arrogant and the Enraiha might be fake? Since no first chief=no fire spirit lord= no Enraiha? ^^" Isnt that a little... erm... funny?
Not particularly. The Kannagi's arrogance is mostly due to the fact that their "strength" is the greatest among the jutsushis. Also, it is quite likely that the first chief of the Kannagi was in fact a Contractor, as the strength of Enraiha is quite self-evident. It's just that it's not 100% certain he was, unlike with Kazuma.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:And, for the kind Editor that touched it up!! PLEASE SOUND OFF!!
Er, sound off? You're going to need to clarify that a little.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
Mies
Astral Realm

Post by Mies »

Sound off = to be heard ~= "Feel free to tell us who you are"
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

Oh, well in that case, I'm no one - just a fan. It seemed a shame to just let the translator's hard work go to waste, so I touched it up as best I could. On that note, I've now finished the remainder of chapter 6 and the epilogue, so if anyone wants to take a look, be my guest.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
DissmalScientist
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DissmalScientist »

I too am just a random leecher who wanted to help out with editing since there was a translator nice enough to pick up Kaze no Stigma again. :)

Edit: I went through the first chapter of volume 2 today and made all the grammar/word choice corrections I could find. Started a discussion page as well for any questions I had.
Penny: You're driving a spork into your leg.
Dr. Horrible: So I am. Hilarious.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Hiyono wrote:Not particularly. The Kannagi's arrogance is mostly due to the fact that their "strength" is the greatest among the jutsushis. Also, it is quite likely that the first chief of the Kannagi was in fact a Contractor, as the strength of Enraiha is quite self-evident. It's just that it's not 100% certain he was, unlike with Kazuma.

Well, it should almost be certain that the first chief is a Contractor... Well, since their family possesses the power of purification, and that should be only with the power of the lords, like Kazuma's purifying wind. Enraiha being bestowed... is another point? and lastly, the ability to seal off the nameless god, since they mentioned that a human can never win a god, so basically they relied on some other force, which they suggested summoning the spirit lord into the world itself... so wont all these at least prove that the first chief should be the first?...

If the first chief is not considered the first certain contractor, then you can also say that there is no way of proving that Kazuma is a contractor too ^^"
DissmalScientist wrote:I too am just a random leecher who wanted to help out with editing since there was a translator nice enough to pick up Kaze no Stigma again. :)

Edit: I went through the first chapter of volume 2 today and made all the grammar/word choice corrections I could find. Started a discussion page as well for any questions I had.
If i recall, leechers are people who only leech, like do nothing but leech? so the moment you help to even pick out one single word makes you an editor!! not a leecher anymore!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
kokolores
Astral Realm

Post by kokolores »

Krikit wrote:Thanks Shadow ^_^

I finally got time to read it, and it was also touched up perfectly by that editor...Yay for whoever that was ^_^

Ah...it was so nice....

Thanks, it was a group effort though.

Mies wrote:Sound off = to be heard ~= "Feel free to tell us who you are"
Oh, that's what it means. I was about to ask what it meant, I'm no native speaker and that figure of speech was unknown to me.

Well, I'm just a fan of japanese light novels who has a lot of free times on weekends, so I might edit something again if there's ever need for it.
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Well, it should almost be certain that the first chief is a Contractor... Well, since their family possesses the power of purification, and that should be only with the power of the lords, like Kazuma's purifying wind. Enraiha being bestowed... is another point? and lastly, the ability to seal off the nameless god, since they mentioned that a human can never win a god, so basically they relied on some other force, which they suggested summoning the spirit lord into the world itself... so wont all these at least prove that the first chief should be the first?...

If the first chief is not considered the first certain contractor, then you can also say that there is no way of proving that Kazuma is a contractor too ^^"
Really enjoying that, aren't you? Anyway, as I said earlier and as you've mentioned, it's almost certain that the first Kannagi chief was a Contractor. However, 99.99% is not 100%, and therein lies the distinction.

As the series' title emphasizes (Kaze no Stigma = Stigma of the Wind), to see the eyes of a Contractor is to have definitive proof of their contract, and accordingly, to be unable to view their Stigma, their proof of contract, is to be unable to verify their existence. Hence, to those still living, Kazuma can be the only confirmed Contractor. This is providing, of course, that there are no other Contractors in later novels.
kokolores wrote:
Krikit wrote:Thanks Shadow ^_^

I finally got time to read it, and it was also touched up perfectly by that editor...Yay for whoever that was ^_^

Ah...it was so nice....
Thanks, it was a group effort though.
Actually, I'd only made my way through 6.1 at that point, so you have the other two to thank.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

They did say that the Kannagi family made a contract with fire.I gwess the Contractor 'eyes' weaken from generation to generation,as the power of one's control over fire,but the degree,I cannot say.
As Kazuma is himself a contractor,thus a direct 'contract' with the wind,and is not a relative of one,it's not safe to assume he's the only one.As far as I know,so far we have no details on this.
My two cents.
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

Volume 2, chapter 1 is now finished as well.

-------------------------- Hereafter is speculation, but educated speculation ------------------------------
fiendmaw wrote:I gwess the Contractor 'eyes' weaken from generation to generation,as the power of one's control over fire,but the degree,I cannot say.
This is almost definitely incorrect. As I mentioned earlier, the proof of the contract is the Stigma itself, and thus it should not pass on. The contract is not made between the spirit lords and groups, but rather between the lords and individuals (i.e. Solomon, Moses, the first Kannagi chief, Kazuma).
fiendmaw wrote:As Kazuma is himself a contractor,thus a direct 'contract' with the wind,and is not a relative of one,it's not safe to assume he's the only one.
This is a direct consequence of your previous, I feel, unjustified assumption. Furthermore, as I said previously, it's not that Kazuma is the only Contractor, it's that as the only living Contractor (that we know of, anyway), his is the only contract that can currently be confirmed, with certainty, to exist.

Edit: Given the apparent confusion arising from my thoughts, perhaps an example would fit best.
Let us assume there is a simple bet; a coin will be flipped, and if heads, Man A will take $1 from Man B, and if tails, the reverse will occur. Let us also assume that there are 10 people watching.

Case A, this is analogous to the Contractors of legend: You, not present at the bet, hear the testimonials of all 10 witnesses that Man A won. Further, you know that Man B gave $1 to Man A. From this, you conclude that the coin revealed a heads flip. However, this is only the case with high probability. Without having been there to witness for yourself, you cannot know for certain that the coin landed on heads; there may have been other circumstances (the witnesses all lied, etc).

Case B, analogous to Kazuma: You are present at the bet, and watch it land on heads yourself. You know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it landed on heads.

In other words, it is indeed probably the case that all the Contractors of legend were, in fact, Contractors, but the only currently verifiable case is Kazuma's, as he is the only Contractor still around (again, excluding any who may or may not appear in later novels).
ShadowZeroHeart

Hiyono wrote:Really enjoying that, aren't you? Anyway, as I said earlier and as you've mentioned, it's almost certain that the first Kannagi chief was a Contractor. However, 99.99% is not 100%, and therein lies the distinction.

As the series' title emphasizes (Kaze no Stigma = Stigma of the Wind), to see the eyes of a Contractor is to have definitive proof of their contract, and accordingly, to be unable to view their Stigma, their proof of contract, is to be unable to verify their existence. Hence, to those still living, Kazuma can be the only confirmed Contractor. This is providing, of course, that there are no other Contractors in later novels.
Hehez, yes i am enjoying it ^^ a debate over something minor...

ANYWAYS! I see two points to argue in this case...

The Stigma is in his eyes, and the number of people witnessing it is too few. As mentioned in your later reply, there might be other circumstances, for example, the Kannagi that loves Kazuma so much, might lie for him?

Secondly, the question of HOW do you know that that is a stigma? If he is the first contractor, then there is no way of verifying it. It is like asking you to identify a new piece of material to be a certain new type of material... For all we know about Kazuma's evilness, he might have just put on colored contact lens as he sent the rest to fight for that period of time! So it is still hard to confirm that he is a Contractor, as no one can prove he even met the Wind Spirit Lord.

P.S. Yes, the talk is becoming less meaningful. Anyways my thoughts were the same as you since the beginning, just wanted to confirm it. Feel free to reply if you wish ^^ Hiyono
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

@ SHZ:
As you say, the argument has rather outlived its usefulness. I believe I've already made my position clear, and would rather not contribute to additional forum clutter. Also, I don't believe I've thanked you yet for your work, so Image from me.

On a more on-topic note, would anyone actually re-read old chapters if they've been given a once-over? I'm tempted to give the older chapters a run-through as well, but given the time investment involved, I'd feel like a tree that's fallen in a forest if I was the only one who ever saw the changes.
jeromemmm
Astral Realm

Post by jeromemmm »

i haven't read any of this yet.. (though i saw the anime)
ShadowZeroHeart

Hiyono, sorry, but i did not read the novel translations here... i do my own, and with my poor standards ^^" i cant edit either... sorry i cant help out, and dont need to thank me, i only did a bit... you guys did the rest!
jeromemmm wrote:i haven't read any of this yet.. (though i saw the anime)
Feel free to read it, and give comments if you want to
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
coldness
Astral Realm

Post by coldness »

Hello. I'm really grateful for you having translated the first book, but I do have a question. It seems that the quality of translation into English deteriorates over time. Is there an editor for this?
ShadowZeroHeart

coldness wrote:Hello. I'm really grateful for you having translated the first book, but I do have a question. It seems that the quality of translation into English deteriorates over time. Is there an editor for this?
If the quality of the translation deteriorates, then i assure you, yes. Editors will probably edit the script, thats why the translations change.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Kaze no Stigma”