Book 2, Chapter 3 Discussion

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Book 2, Chapter 3 Discussion

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Yeah, have used goo pieces and pieces of goo for some time now =X I hope this volume ends soon. I am beginning to hate slimes already!!

*Starts my DQ game and begins thrashing any slimes I find*
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
ShadowZeroHeart

Anyone can help me with a translation?

一搭一唱
How to translate this?

Ayano is said to have done this with Kazuma, which is very similar to a cross talk(相聲). But I cant come up with a good translation for this. Help please.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Anyone can help me with a translation?

一搭一唱
How to translate this?

Ayano is said to have done this with Kazuma, which is very similar to a cross talk(相聲). But I cant come up with a good translation for this. Help please.
Mind giving the sentence/context? I'm kinda lost here......
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
ShadowZeroHeart

"其實, 剛開始我真的很害怕. 因為一下子冒出火來,有不只從哪跑出一把劍,綾乃(Ayano)簡直就變成另外一個人了. 不過看到你跟和麻(Kazuma)先生一搭一唱的樣子後, 我就知道你還是我所認識的綾乃(Ayano)."

"一搭一唱...... 你......"

突然被當成是說向省的, 綾乃(Ayano)感到有些不滿.
While at it, how about this one too?
"誰是我的男人啊!"

"和麻先生."

由香里(Yukari)理所當然地說道.
I am sick and tired of using "said as if it is only natural" for 理所當然 already... I need some better suggestions.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

[quote="Shadow]"誰是我的男人啊!"

"和麻先生."

由香里(Yukari)理所當然地說道.[/quote]

理所當然 is obvious, but it's hard to fit that into this context. How about this: "Yukari gave an obvious reply." I'm kinda rephrasing it, but generally the idea is the same, I think... (or maybe not). Try checking it against the Japanese text and see what you get. Usually you can get some good words for it. (Ask Vaelis-san, maybe he'll help.) Since it is used repeatedly, it'll be a good idea to settle this once and for all.
"其實, 剛開始我真的很害怕. 因為一下子冒出火來,有不只從哪跑出一把劍,綾乃(Ayano)簡直就變成另外一個人了. 不過看到你跟和麻(Kazuma)先生一搭一唱的樣子後, 我就知道你還是我所認識的綾乃(Ayano)."

"一搭一唱...... 你......"

突然被當成是說向省的, 綾乃(Ayano)感到有些不滿.
Walao...... Tough leh. The Chinese meaning I got is 相互應答唱和. I think I got the general idea of the idiom. But...... Aarrghh. Sorry, I can't help you. Beyonf what I can do. :(
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
ShadowZeroHeart

Zyzzyva165 wrote:[

I had the idea of Yukari gave an obvious answer. But similarly, it seems somewhat different... I can't read Japanese text, so I need someone to verify the meaning and words... But compared to Yukari, i would rather someone tell me how to translate the tough quote part... I have warped the words to some extent, but it "Obvious"ly does not sound good. And yes, i know its tough. That is why i need to ask for help...
HELP~~~~ PLEASE~~~
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
ShadowZeroHeart

Sorry for the delays. Kaze no Stigma Book 2 Chapter 3 complete.

A nice quote from the chapter, just like how Kazuma tells Ren not to seek death so easily in volume 1.
Spoiler! :
“Yeah…… We are really sorry about earlier.”

Nanase at the side, embarrassed, avoids eye contact with Ayano, and apologizes.

“…… What is going on?”

“Actually, I was really afraid at first. Because fire burst out all of a sudden, and a sword came out from nowhere, Ayano seems to have turned into a totally different person. But after seeing how you talk back and forth with Kazuma-san like that, I know that you are still that Ayano I used to know.”

“Talking back and forth with Kazuma...... You……”

To suddenly be taken that they were having a cross talk, Ayano is displeased. Nanase continues to say at this moment:

“That is to say, there is no need to change our attitude towards you just because you can use some spells or supernatural powers.”

“B…… But…… Aren’t you afraid of me? If I want to, I can kill you two without so much as lifting a finger?”

“So?”

Nanase asks back calmly.

“What……”

”You still don’t get it? There is no need for you to use some special powers, you can kill us just with your bare hands!”

“That…… is true.”

“So then why should we start being afraid of you only from now on? Even if you change a gun to a cannon, you still die in a single shot.”

There is a certain limit to the amount of damage a human can withstand. Once he sustains an injury beyond this limit, he is doomed. There can never be a negative value being created in this manner.

To someone who possesses ten points of HP, taking ten points of damage and a thousand points of damage are basically the same. The remaining nine hundred and ninety points of damage are but an excess.

Yet, there are not many people that can understand such a simple logic in reality. Being by the side of a murderer whom you do not know, you will feel uneasy. That is to say------

“That is to say, the main point lies in whether you trust the person. But I have faith in you all along.”

“Ayano has never been someone who would harm another without a reason, so, I am not afraid at all.”

Ayano looks dumbly at the two of them, Yukari asks uneasily:

“So…… Please don’t hate us, can we still be good friends from now on?”

“……Yukari……”
Sorry for the long delays, so much happened these days. WIll continue working hard(I hope)
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

Thanks a lot SZH. I'll help out editing it eventually, since I'm reading/editing in order.
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
一搭一唱
How to translate this?
48 hours without any reply. Looks like the Jpn words baffled the moderators as well. So... can't help you here... :?
ShadowZeroHeart

Zyzzyva165 wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
一搭一唱
How to translate this?
48 hours without any reply. Looks like the Jpn words baffled the moderators as well. So... can't help you here... :?
Don't you just love translators who work so hard to do the impossible? I mean, they have to think of such phrases to translate such terms... Not that I am doing well at it...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Don't you just love translators who work so hard to do the impossible? I mean, they have to think of such phrases to translate such terms... Not that I am doing well at it...
Please elucidate your first sentence.
ShadowZeroHeart

Zyzzyva165 wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Don't you just love translators who work so hard to do the impossible? I mean, they have to think of such phrases to translate such terms... Not that I am doing well at it...
Please elucidate your first sentence.
All the translated texts on B-T are understandable, yet there must be at least some that are hard to translate in their actual texts. To be able to bring forth the meanings as far as possible and let people enjoy the novels, it seems almost impossible to do a perfectly good job. like in this case, i wonder how many can give a translation to that. So it seems impossible.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Well, your explanation varied greatly from what I inferred from your statement, but never mind. Let's leave it to that.

Return to “Kaze no Stigma”