Poll: Should we change to past tense?

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Should we change to past tense?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Change to Past: more western and easier to understand in the English language
67%
Leave at Present: current style, most common of eastern novels and closer to author's style
33%

Total votes: 6

Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Poll: Should we change to past tense?

Post by Nerevarine »

This discussion was spawned from the SnS forums http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewto ... =54&t=2303 of whether we should keep or change the KnS current guidelines(well not guideliness, more like trend) of keeping it in present tense.

Past: most common, and easiest to understand format of the english language. Most Western novels are usually written in a reiteration manner: which means its like, "This has already happened and I am telling it too you now." Think of it as a storyteller. Basically, if we change it into past tense, it would be easier to read and understand the story....and, for me at least, it will be prone to less gramatical mistakes, since I am really, really bad with past/present/future tense.

Present: most common format of eastern literature (well....i dont really know, but shadow said so). Eastern novels are written in a more involved set of storytelling: which means its like, "I am actually in the story and watching things as it currently unfolds." Think of it as watching a movie, in that you are right now in the action. Currently, this is the guideline(though unedited).

Actually, the first couple of chapters of volume one are currently in past tense, while in around chapter 3 we changed to present tense (due to different translators, and this one editor ip address[not me])...and i was too lazy to change it

The arguement is that, since we are translating from Eastern novels, we should keep it to their guidelines, if the author wanted to invoke an involved style storytelling, we should keep to his style of storytelling. The counter-arguement being, it is much easier to read and understand what the author is saying if we change it into past tense.

So, in come you guys, I want to hear what everyone else prefers (actually, what i really want to see is....is there anyone else out there?) of whether we should keep present tense or change into past tense. But it should be noted, that this really is a minor issue, and to me at least, it dosnt really matter.

PS: feel free to add in anything else, im not really good with this kind of stuff, heh

Edit: HAHA, due to my newly aquired Project Editor status and powers, I have decided to make this a poll (because i want to hear the opinions' of our shadow lurkers)

Every member is granted one vote, and the poll will last for 30 days (untill Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:28 pm)
If it is a tie, I will leave at the current format (present tense)
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Should we change to past tense?

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

I am not good with this either...

I am personally chinese and a chinese reader, thus i have the "point of view of the character" reading style. Whereas other readers may not. Thus I do not know what to do either. I personally believe that this unique point of view should be kept in some way if possible, but i am not that proficient in english to say that it can be done easily. Thus i think it is up to you guys, dear editors!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

But to tell you the truth...even if we did decide to change into past tense....it would take a long, long time before its all implemented.

I havnt even edited a word for a couple of days now...

its all because...constricted enough by work and classes and everything else...

but now i just reserved the third book of the Inheritance Trilogy, Brisingr. so now im rereading Eragon and Eldest to remember everything.

but the biggest thing would have to be the release of Spore. A massive game from the creaters of Sims, Will Wright (you know...the guy who builds robots in his spare time), and i cant seem to keep my hands off it.

all in all, im lazy. so it might take a while.
Hibari
Astral Realm

Post by Hibari »

I think though the majority of our readers are used to reading novels written in a reiteration manner it would be better if we would integrate the eastern style of projecting the story to keep the authenticity of the novel. So what's the verdict? I finally got a 3 day-off from the horrors of pure studying for 5 straight days with little time for sleep, I'm about to edit chunks of chapters in the first volume.
ShadowZeroHeart

I have no idea ~.~
LOLz! guess that means you get a real break! even from editting until we settle this? haha!
and lucky you... i have PLENTY of work to do...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:I have no idea ~.~
LOLz! guess that means you get a real break! even from editting until we settle this? haha!
and lucky you... i have PLENTY of work to do...
well, ill continue editing, leaving at present tense, untill i catch up with you (after i finish reading my books)

and then after the poll, ill go through and change everything (if required)
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Re: Poll: Should we change to past tense?

Post by Akirasav »

Your analysis was good Nerevarine, but I would like to add one point:

To the (American) English reader (like myself), the past tense does sound like the present tense for narration in novels. This may not make sense, so I guess we can blame it on the weird rules of English. Suffice it to say, when reading the narration in the past tense, the read feels like he or she is living the novel. The characters of course still speak in the 'expected' past/present/future tenses.

Incidentally, I would be willing to help you convert the narration to the past tense should you decide to do so. I have already done so for Volume 1 of Toradora!, which was riddled with tense inconsistencies.

I was actually going to ask someone if I could make the changes, but fortunately I came to the forum first.

--

On a seperate note, how did you earn the title of Project Editor Nerevarine? (i.e. I want to be one too :mrgreen: )
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Akirasav wrote:Your analysis was good Nerevarine, but I would like to add one point:

To the (American) English reader (like myself), the past tense does sound like the present tense for narration in novels. This may not make sense, so I guess we can blame it on the weird rules of English. Suffice it to say, when reading the narration in the past tense, the read feels like he or she is living the novel. The characters of course still speak in the 'expected' past/present/future tenses.

Incidentally, I would be willing to help you convert the narration to the past tense should you decide to do so. I have already done so for Volume 1 of Toradora!, which was riddled with tense inconsistencies.

I was actually going to ask someone if I could make the changes, but fortunately I came to the forum first.

--

On a seperate note, how did you earn the title of Project Editor Nerevarine? (i.e. I want to be one too :mrgreen: )
Put in a bit of editing time, PM Oni, and you'll get your wings. 8)

As for the past tense part, I agree with you. English being my native language, I am used to reading stories in past tense and in 3rd person. When I was editing 7 Nights, I was attempting to keep it in present tense and that really threw me for a loop.
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

Thanks for the tip!

--

Its funny because even if the story took place in the future, the narration would still be in the past tense and it would still make perfect sense to the reader. Example of a narrator talking about the future:

In the year 2021, ring-shaped hyperspace gateways (also referred to as "Astral Gates") were constructed across the solar system, allowing very fast and easy interplanetary travel between the colonies on other planets, moons, space stations, and asteroids. Unfortunately, the Gate network contained a fatal instability that was revealed to -but subsequently ignored by- the Gate contractors who built the transport system. ('borrowed' from Wikipedia)

The reader simply 'understands' that the events are taking place in the future and pretends as though he or she is in the future as well.
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

poll is almost at its time-limit.

what a sad little poll
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

We have a winner?
ShadowZeroHeart

The answer seems to be yes. As in it should be changed to past tense.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Choice 1 is the winner. Do it up. 8)
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

with an awestounding lead of a whole 33%, I conclude choice one as the winner.

all text shall be changed to past tense.
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Nerevarine wrote:with an awestounding lead of a whole 33%, I conclude choice one as the winner.

all text shall be changed to past tense.
Well, that's a...... 2-vote lead. :shock: [Too bad I didn't notice this earlier. Or else it would have been 3.]

If you need help in the conversion, I don't mind helping out. Just let me know. =p
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."

Return to “Kaze no Stigma”