Seikai no Senki

Off-shoot branches of the main brigade who toil under the glorious leadership of our Editor-in-Chief.

General discussion related to projects by the Computer or Anime & Manga Club.....

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Seikai no Senki

Post by Ushwood »

Must add to that that if you're interested in the Russian version of "Banner of the stars" (and "Crest of the stars" too) then you're invited to my translations' site http://ushwood.narod.ru.
megaroad1
Astral Realm

Post by megaroad1 »

I was looking for what happened after Seikai no Senki III and found this translation of the 4th novel. Just would like to say thank you to everyone who worked on this :D
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Ushwood wrote:Must add to that that if you're interested in the Russian version of "Banner of the stars" (and "Crest of the stars" too) then you're invited to my translations' site http://ushwood.narod.ru.
Oh, uhm you do a Russian translation? Why dont put it up in our wiki, too?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

@Darklor
You could call it a principal position. As a translator I feel that I am the only one responsible for my translation, hence I am the only one eligible to do any modifications to my translation. Of course, this means also that I am the only one to take the blame for any mistakes or bad sentences. And all this goes completely against Wiki's principles.

Maybe this sounds hypocritic since I use Wiki's English translations as a source. So I need to add: Wiki translations are definitely better than no translation at all but worse than single-person translations. Actually I prefer to take as a source the texts which were worked on by just one translator but such cases are quite rare unfortunately :(.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Almael wrote:SNS1-3 will get at least the prologues done. There are tonnes of info missing from the Anime.
Of course Cots1-3 are not going to be done since Tokyopop already had them published even if they are abridged.
You do know that Tokyopop's publishing division closed last year and that all rights have been reverted to their original publishers? They're working on relaunching this year (or so they say, at least) - but the fact is that they would have to re-acquire any rights for releases they want to reprint, and they won't reprint CotS, it was out of print long before Tokyopop closed - everything currently on Amazon is new old stock.

I still think that if you like the series you should buy the books (I own two sets, one for display and personal reading and another set to lend out), but from a technical standpoint, I'd say retranslating CotS is just as fair game as translating BotS is. I personally find the way Tokyopop dealt with Baronh to be haphazard and highly annoying, and I would love to read a translation that is more true to the original.

I would say priority goes to BotS 1-3 and the short stories though, these are things where we either have nothing at all in English or just the anime adaptation. Meanwhile I'm not going to read BotS 4, because even though I'm badly itching to read it, I want to read everything sequentially, and the anime is no substitute. Patience is a virtue! :lol:

Keep up the good work,
Muf
Almael
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Almael »

I do have all the Cots novel in book and electronic form. And like you the originals are in storage for save keeping.
The Cots novels have been translated 3 times over by now by Tokyopope, and ex-members of the now private Abhnation.com
So by all means they will have to wait.

I have been busy in recent months but will be adding some new pieces sometime soon.

Also I'm interested in translators or other people for a Legend of Galactic Heroes novel translation project. More or less two books have been finished but need to be redone as they are old and inconsistent (names etc.). But this is for later, unless there are eager translators around who can work it fast.

Thanks. I appreciate any interest.
Kijin
Astral Realm

Post by Kijin »

Its a bit sad that the 4th book ends in a sort of cliffhanger... and there's still no word of the Author writing the sequel.
Almael
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Almael »

There have been a setback due to lost data, actually, lost the whole backup part on my drive. I couldn't restore it.
I have some older backups so not all is lost.

Anyway, last year when Mr Morioka published the last part of his regular "short story" novel he gave an interview. There a new Seikai DVD release was also introduced with two new short stories. Some confirmation of him still working on the next novel. This year a new manga was released starting with Crest of the Stars. It's closer to the anime than the novel, and a lot better than the one by Tokyopop. Only chapter one has been released which covers episode one of Cots.
The art is completely different, everything except the vital characters. It has some new background scene/detail but does not have the novel background infos.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Almael wrote: The art is completely different, everything except the vital characters. It has some new background scene/detail but does not have the novel background infos.
Is it better or worse as the old one?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
aagcnet
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by aagcnet »

Darklor wrote:
Almael wrote: The art is completely different, everything except the vital characters. It has some new background scene/detail but does not have the novel background infos.
Is it better or worse as the old one?
Hum... isnt that a subjetive thing? people have diferent feelings so, someone may like the art while you may not Darklor.

Almael you said before that you lost your backups of the information was it a hardward or a software failure?
Almael
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Seikai no Senki: General

Post by Almael »

It was a combination of software and hardware. The OS read the drive and kept the folder structure to it so when the drive lost connectity and connection was not reset despite reconnection the folder structure wasn't rewritten to it and got lost. I was unable to recover it despite trying various programs and techniques. It's the first time this kind of issue happened to me. I guess the same can happen to flash drives etc.

Anyway, I'm trying to get some finished by new year.
aagcnet
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by aagcnet »

A shame i knew about it too late.. theres this BOOT cd called hiren's with a nice proggy that would be used for those cases. it is able to repair the FAT in the drives reading old versions works with EXT,FAT,FAT32,NTFS. i used it a lot in my previous work to solve those problems.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

Conquistadork
Astral Realm

Post by Conquistadork »

Volume 5 is out. Anyone scanning/translating? I can try to order and scan it if need be.
Almael
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Almael »

That would be helpful.
For anyone interested the japanese SF magazine 2013 No. 5 has a short story, and supposedly a chronology and other features you would kill for.

As to the project, my computer has been crashing nearly every day since a major updating spray some months ago. I got it under control now by just avoiding the crashing conditions. I have to run low and with other priorities taking precedent I can't promise anything. :cry:

Return to “Auxiliary Brigades”