Maria-sama ga Miteru

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel series Translated?

Yes
98%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
1%
No (Please give a reason)
1%

Total votes: 284

Sabru25
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Maria-sama ga Miteru

Post by Sabru25 »

I want to say a big thanks and kudos to all who've been and are translating this. this is the most enthralling and gripping LN series ive read (though only up to Vol 21)

On the (now quite old) topic of missing a volume (in the case mentioned it was Vol 12), normally it would stop me but the way Marimite is done, that jumping to 13 from 11 was a little annoying but didnt hinder progression much (for me at least).

I cant wait for the 24-26 gap to be TL'ed (that has stalled me), so maybe heaping kudos on NR will be helpful :D
PuffF
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by PuffF »

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all translating and proofing done. Words can't explain how thankful I am that you guys are still doing this.

Regarding Volume 12, I remember reading a translation of it on Okazu if people are wondering. Not sure whether it's still there or not though.

I got a question regarding EPUBs though. Volumes: 13, 14, 23 are all done for quite a while. But, for some reason I can't find them on the bakatsuki epub generator website - http://ln.m-chan.org/v3/series.php?SID=40

P.S. Any news on volume 34? I really want to read about Yumi as Rosa Chinensis :wink:
rydenius
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rydenius »

Just posted the completed Vol 12 chapter 3.

I think all the available Okazu translations for vol 12 that we had permission for have already been integrated...? I filled in the missing portions of the the partial chapters (from Harunako/Okazu) with my own translations, and also revised a bit of Harunako's work in those chapters to do some TLC and consistency changes. (Though there's no guarantee that my translations are more correct, so I hope she doesn't mind...)

About future translating, it looks like I'll have time available on Mondays to continue working on translations. I'm leery of reserving any chapters, since I don't know how quickly I can get them done and I don't want to hold up anyone else, but I'll continue to work on them and post them. Hmm... though I probably shouldn't post partial chapters if I don't reserve them though... :? So guess I'll go with whatever you guys think is best.

If en_are wants me to continue working on vol. 12, I certainly don't mind, but I do feel a bit bad since it's holding up some people from reading the series. (The anime does cover most of the key plot points if people want to skip ahead.) Also when I get a chance I'd like to revisit vol 34, since I do have some of ch2 already done from a few years back when I was working on that, so it'd be an option to get that finished up and posted. I can post up the two sections (of 7) already completed if anyone is interested. Be advised though, chapter 2 is a side story about minor side characters, so it doesn't move the plot forward.
enn_are
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by enn_are »

Hi all,

I'm going to be away for the next couple of weeks, so the next update from me probably won't be until early October.
Sabru25
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sabru25 »

good to hear that updates will be back soon.
OnionSoup
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by OnionSoup »

Thanks for the update. Not sure how many people still read this, but there are still some of us out there so keep up the good work.
[-]
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by [-] »

Hello.

So, uh, what's the deal with the translations of vols 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21 getting removed? Did one of the old translators request removal of those? Could somebody shed some light on this matter?
It'd be a shame if they were permanently gone, especially since it looked like the series might end up being fully translated one of these days. This would be a massive setback and if I were translating it myself I sure wouldn't feel very motivated to translate something that was already translated in the past, especially considering how much text we're talking about.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

[-] wrote:Did one of the old translators request removal of those?
Yes. The person who translated those volumes/chapters requested their removal.
rydenius
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rydenius »

Wow, yeah I agree with [-], that's years worth of work and will take a huge amount of time to redo. :x Cthaeh did they give any reason? Is it hosted elsewhere so we can link to it?

Baka-Tsuki really should change the policy to one where "donated" translations become the collective property of the Baka-Tsuki community. (Unfortunately that would probably result in a load of take-downs at first as well. :( ) Mass take-downs like this are like page vandalism to the community, and it really hurts morale since nothing can be done about it.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

rydenius wrote:Cthaeh did they give any reason? Is it hosted elsewhere so we can link to it?
The translator took it down from her own site (reason) a long time ago, and submitted a takedown request on BT after that.

Not everyone may agree, but changing that policy would be a huge shift from the current principle of the translator controls their own work. My personal guess is that there would be more people who choose not to post to BT at all if they weren't confident they had control, so that changing the policy would be worse overall. Though I'm not a translator, so I can't speak from direct experience as to what translators would do.

If you want to have more detailed discussions on that topic, I'd recommend starting a new thread in the proposals subforum, as discussing the policy for the whole of BT would be off topic here. I probably wouldn't get too involved in it as I'm not a translator.
rydenius
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rydenius »

Nah, it's fine. I'm just grumbling. Thanks for the link Cthaeh.

Considering that, we'll also need to remove the sections of Vol. 12 that were done by her also. I've edited and done some revisions of those chapters as well as adding my own content to complete them, but much of the work was hers. It's a huge setback, but I'll need to replace those parts with my own original translation. I'm busy preparing for the N3 certification test right now, so once I'm done with that (early December), it'll take me a few months, but I'll see about taking care of it.
enn_are
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by enn_are »

Hi Rydenius,

As far as I'm aware, the take-down only covers work directly translated by Erica Friedman, not work which was translated by other people but posted on her blog. From what I can tell, the work on Volume 12 was done by someone else, so it's fine to remain.
rydenius
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rydenius »

Thanks for that Enn_Are. Definitely good news that it doesn't need to be redone. Was just going to comment about removing the footnotes crediting the blog (since the chapters have been removed, and it would be annoying if they got taken down again in the future even if redone by someone else) but I see that's already been taken care of.

Also I can say here that any work I contribute to Baka-Tsuki is donated, and I wont ever ask for it be taken down. The community is welcome to edit and rework it as it sees fit. 8)
Lunar Vitae
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel: Maria-sama ga Miteru

Post by Lunar Vitae »

Hey guys; enn_are, rydenius, and Simonoz in particular, I suppose :D . I just wanted to post in this thread letting you know I intend to work as an editor on this series. I'm not one bit ashamed to say I fell in love with it. On that note, I want to thank you for your work thus far, and as I said on your talk pages, I look forward to working with you!

enn_are: I think I've got a sense of your style and how you want to keep as close to the original feel of the novel as possible, so I will edit accordingly. I've already noticed the series itself has a distinct style, so editing into American English isn't as straightforward as some might think. If and when I come across anything that I'm unsure of, I will of course seek clarification.

rydenius: many people are rooting for you, so don't give up!

Simonoz: if you're on the forums, hi! I'll be hanging out on the earlier volumes for a little while in terms of editing. I assume you're at least past Vol.19.5? I've only read up to 15 as of this writing.
Feel free to contact me here, on Discord (#5703), or on the wiki (Leviticus)!

Join our Discord!

Current Projects:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (Project Manager, Editor)
Lunar Vitae
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel: Maria-sama ga Miteru

Post by Lunar Vitae »

I addressed some editing concerns that were brought up earlier in the thread, and would like some input on my choices. The parties involved had excellent points, and I personally consider the translator's words to have more weight. Taking this into account, I feel the following edits are excellent compromise.

Excerpt: Vol. 8 Ch. 2 “Farewell Gift” (Part 1)
Spoiler! :
But maybe Shimako-san wasn't all that bothered by it – thinking this, Yumi cast a sidelong glance towards where she sat. And waiting there for her was Shimako-san's gaze.

Thank you.

Shimako-san slowly and silently formed the words with her lips, erasing all of Yumi's discomfort without the backspace key.

As long as Shimako-san understood, that was all that mattered.

Friends really were incredible.

Regardless of what the thirty other girls in the class thought, it had all been settled in one instant with one phrase from one person.
“Thank you” shouldn't be hyphenated in this case. Further, I feel that italicizing it brings it to an action from a character, rather than just a narration. Shimako is, for all intents and purposes, speaking here; just not audibly. Also, I took enn_are's feelings on keeping to the impact of repetition and used “phrase” instead of “word.”

The issue regarding 'So sit down' in Vol. 9 Ch. 7 “8 – 3 = Right” (Part 1) (which is perfectly fine) actually brought up a question for me. Enn_are, in your rebuttal you explained that it was an implied continuation of Shimako's sentence and Yumi's subsequent action. Here's an excerpt for context:
Spoiler! :
There were some cherry petals buried in Shimako-san's fluffy hair. Unusually, she'd been about five minutes late to the meeting, so she must have been beneath the cherry trees again.

Yumi tilted her head sideways in confusion.

About 80% of the cherry blossom petals had already fallen. And yet, Shimako-san didn't seem to be brooding. On the contrary, she was in high spirits. Cheerfully advancing the meeting, as though something good had happened to her.

Incomprehensible.

Although that was how she'd always been – Shimako-san's patterns of thought and action were inscrutable.

"What do you think, Yumi?"

"Huh?"

Suddenly hearing her name called, Yumi hastily stood up.

"… You're not in class now."

"Ah, right. Sorry."
Yumi is lost in thought about Shimako. What brings her back to reality is the question asked of her. I'm wondering who is asking this question? If it is Shimako, the text should be “What do you think, Yumi-san?” However, if it is indeed just “Yumi,” then it was Sachiko asking, and obviously no change would be necessary. I think Sachiko is asking this, because the following “ ... You're not in class now,” feels harsh. I only bring this up because in your explaination in addressing this particular section, you mentioned Shimako.

I say some, but there was really only that first one, and the second I discovered by accident while investigating. The other things were perfectly fine, or already addressed. Also, if I need to explain any edits, should I make use of the talk page, or bring them here?

On a side note, would anyone be opposed to me cleaning up the main talk page? There's a lot of fluff and junk in there, including a couple of posts that are against the rules (asking for releases). I suppose I could go ahead and do it, since it can be reversed if I am in the wrong. I'd rather ask for permission or blessings beforehand, though.
Feel free to contact me here, on Discord (#5703), or on the wiki (Leviticus)!

Join our Discord!

Current Projects:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (Project Manager, Editor)

Return to “English”