Golden Time

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Golden Time ?

It was good! Please do more!
94%
It was interesting.
5%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
1%

Total votes: 876

rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Golden Time

Post by rpapo »

It appears that Takemiya-san has started a new series. That makes sense, since she has declared Toradora entirely done. The first book of this new series, Golden Time, will be released in Japanese on September 10th, along with many other titles from Dengeki Bunko (like the last book of Spice & Wolf (#15)). The announcement can be found at http://dengekibunko.dengeki.com/new/bunko1009.php, and translates to the following, as near as I can read it:
Golden Time 1

Author: Takemiya Yuyuko
Illustrator: Komato Eeji

Toradora!’s Takemiya Yuyuko, Iriya’s Komato Eeji, a powerful tag-team giving you a new series!

She had been accepted to come up from far away to the university in the capital. A brand new college student, first time in Tokyo, first time living alone, and for the first time having to fend off nervous suitors, the very day of the school entrance ceremony, she meets somebody by surprise.

With an overwhelming presence and a perfect life before her, her specialty was to crusade for things that didn’t need her help!

The offender’s name was Kaga Takako. The bouquet of roses from far away that she ran into, a friend from afar that also chased after a childhood friend from Yanagisawa, it seemed they were both freshmen at the same university. In reality, she had fled from Yanagisawa, cutting herself from ever going back. Could even that radiant one help out the dangerous Takako from her far-away youth to shine like the sun?
If anybody wants to correct my translation, feel free.

It seems that Takemiya keeps on moving up in character age. If I remember rightly, her first series (Our Tamura-kun) was middle-schoolers. The second series (Toradora!) was high-schoolers. Now her third series is about university students.
dxb_blackwolf
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Golden Time

Post by dxb_blackwolf »

Awesome I cant wait for this. :D

Can you tell me which picture is it? I can't read japanese that well yet so I can't figure it out.
mondy-mond
Astral Realm

Post by mondy-mond »

dxb_blackwolf wrote:Awesome I cant wait for this. :D

Can you tell me which picture is it? I can't read japanese that well yet so I can't figure it out.
It's the first image.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Well, given that the picture shows the girl with a bouquet of roses behind her, and petals flying all over the place, and given that the "nosey princess" character was described as a "bouquet of roses" from their common home town, I really suspect the picture is of the main character... whatever her name is. In that little blurb, the only name we're given is of a girl who apparently has gone over to the dark side (Takako). Criminal is probably not the right word for her. What may have been meant was "the one guilty one", guilty of running into the protagonist.

In any case, we may also be dealing with a love triangle here: Princess Whats-her-name, Takako and the guy they both knew back in their home town.

BTW, Takako is only one of a variety of possible renderings of the one girl's name. It was the only name I'd seen before out of the list, so I chose to use it. The other readings for 香子 were Kaoko, Kaori, Kaoriko, Kaoruko, Kako, Kyouko, Kiyouko, Kauko, Yuuko, Youko and Yoshiko.

I just looked at the raw scans for "Midori no Hibi" for the kanji for Ayase Takako, and find that her name was done with different kanji, so it is quite possible that one of the other pronunciations is the preferred one. In any case, Google Translations and JUMAN both preferred Kiyouko.
Isapfe
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Isapfe »

There are two mentions of the name 香子 in English wiki and both are "Kyōko".
Also, there is an article in Japanese wiki about some actress/dancer by that name (or alias?) and it spells こうこ there.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Amazon.co.jp has finally listed the book as available for preorder. Availability date is still the 10th. Price, 577 yen.

There must be an awful lot of preorders, because it is already rated #8 on the Amazon.co.jp list of best-selling books.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B4%E3%83 ... F8&s=books
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

<rant>
I cannot believe how slow Amazon-Japan is about posting new books. The main Amazon page will show something months before it is actually available, but the Japanese page is posting this stuff almost at the very last minute, though Dengeki-Bunko's announcement was well over a month ago now.
</rant>

Anyway, here is the cover art, as seen on Amazon.

rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Well, we were all wrong as to the girl's name. None of the pronunciations I had found earlier was right, according to the furigana in the book. (Yes, I've got the book now.) The girl's name was Kaga Kouko, and hers is the cover picture given already.

On top of that, because I mistook another person's name for a expression of another sort, I almost totally misunderstood the publisher's blurb. More on that later.

Interestingly, aside from the color plates (of which there are only two, both 3-page wide foldouts), the book is almost devoid of illustrations. There is a small inset picture of each character attached to the start of each chapter. That's it. In that regard, it isn't like the books illustrated by Yasu.

Another interesting point: Every character named in the color plates is given an English version of their name along with the Kanji version. It's as if Takemiya wanted to prevent any misunderstanding in translation later on. Either that, or the illustrator likes to do such things, seeing as this only happens in the illustrations.

At one point last week, the book was #2 in popularity on Amazon.co.jp.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

OK. Here's another version of the story summary, taken from the inside of the dustcover. I am giving both the Japanese and the English, so anybody who wants to correct my translation may do so.

ゴールデンタイム1
Golden Time 1

春にしてブラックアウト
A Blackout in Spring

晴れて大学に合格し上京してきた多田万里。大学デビュー、東京デビュー、ひとり暮らしデビュー、と初めてのことづくしで浮足立つ彼は、入学式当日、不意打ちにあう。
Accepted to the university, Tada Banri came up to the capital. First time to the university, first time to Tokyo, first time living alone, and with all sorts of initial problems keeping him on his toes, on the day of the opening ceremony he received a surprise attack.

圧倒的なお嬢様オーラ! 完璧な人生のシナリオ! 得意なのは一人相撲!
Such an overwhelming presence she had! Such a perfect life ahead of her! So much pride getting in the way!

襲撃者の名は加賀香子。薔薇の花束を万里に叩きつけた彼女は、万里の友達でもある幼馴染みの柳澤を追いかけて、同じ大学に入学してきたという。そんな眩しくも危うい香子が気にかかり、放っておけない万里だがーー?
The attacker’s name was Kaga Kouko. This girl who struck Banri with a bouquet of roses was pursuing Banri’s childhood friend from Yanagisawa, and had enrolled in the same university. The dazzling but dangerous Kouko was worrisome, but would Banri be ignored---?

竹宮ゆゆこ&駒都えーじの強力タッグが贈る青春ラブコメ!
The powerful tag-team of Takemiya Yuyuko & Komatsu Eeji bring you this romantic comedy about youth!
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

So will you translate that book too (or create at least a teaser for it) ? :mrgreen: ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

There is a four page prologue, and I have the first page done already. Once I was done with the entire prologue, I was going to post it here on the forum, since by itself it will not justify another project in the wiki, all the more so because I really ought to finish Spinoff 2, even if it takes me til next summer.
dxb_blackwolf-offline
Astral Realm

Post by dxb_blackwolf-offline »

Oh yaay. Thanks a lot. I hope that this book gets translated all the way ^^
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

That would even be too short to become a teaser project?

Darklor

rpapo

Post by rpapo »

I would think so. One page of a Japanese light novel is not all that much text, and the prologue is only four pages long.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Because I think a complete prologue could be enough for a teaser... look at that that http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... 1_Prologue ;)

Darklor

Return to “English”