Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mordant
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Post by Mordant »

First chapter was way better then expected. Ikki isn't as spineless and flustered (seriously, getting also half naked to get even...) at every little thing like most MCs and, surprisingly, Stella is less annoying and tsunder-ish then I thought she'll be.
Though, of course we get cliches like getting to see heroines (half-)naked on their first encounter, or the whole red haired fire tsundere character. But hey, we are all used to it by now, right? ;)

Thanks a lot for translating. Definitely gonna keep reading it.

Also, TheCatWalk, I've got small request - could you write how much progress you've made translating? It seems you are updating chapters instead of just dropping it whole. So it would be nice to know how far it is. It doesn't have to be anything exact, but at least how many parts is done would be appreciated (like chapter 1 have 8 parts). Though, page count would be best.
TheCatWalk
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheCatWalk »

Mordant wrote: Also, TheCatWalk, I've got small request - could you write how much progress you've made translating? It seems you are updating chapters instead of just dropping it whole. So it would be nice to know how far it is. It doesn't have to be anything exact, but at least how many parts is done would be appreciated (like chapter 1 have 8 parts). Though, page count would be best.
can only come online once a week and IRL stuff keeps bothering me. well, i'll think about it :lol: 8)
MAIN HEROINES FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ahomine
Astral Realm

Post by Ahomine »

That F-rank is a true badass indeed.Cant wait to see him "mad" as in the spoilers.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

nosobi wrote:My android baka ex cant find it in teasers or main either, is it ver 1.1.16?
I'm running version 1.1.14 apparently.
TheCatWalk wrote:anyone got any bright ideas on how to tl this line?

(どんな仲なんだ僕たちはーなんて突っ込んでる場合じゃないっ)
Let's see. Donna chu nan da boku-tachi wa -- nante tsukkonderu baai ja nai

Donna = what kind of
chu = relationship
nan da = "to be", with emphasis, as if talking to oneself
boku-tachi wa = we (as topic)

Donna chu nan da boku-tachi wa = What kind of relationship do we have

nante = an exclamation
tsukkunoderu = tsukkomi as a present progressive verb
baai = situation
ja nai = "to not be" (casual voice)

nante tsukkonderu baai ja nai = Hey, this isn't the time to joke around!

There's leeway. Depending on the context being responded to, you can also go with "What's our relationship... wait, this isn't the right place for making jokes!" Mix and match the elements.

Hope that helps.
AnimeFan9001
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AnimeFan9001 »

TheCatWalk wrote:
Mordant wrote: Also, TheCatWalk, I've got small request - could you write how much progress you've made translating? It seems you are updating chapters instead of just dropping it whole. So it would be nice to know how far it is. It doesn't have to be anything exact, but at least how many parts is done would be appreciated (like chapter 1 have 8 parts). Though, page count would be best.
can only come online once a week and IRL stuff keeps bothering me. well, i'll think about it :lol: 8)
If you could say in progress in brackets next to a chapter that has text but isn't the whole chapter, it'd be nice. like Chapter 2 (In progress)
alethiophile
Astral Realm

Post by alethiophile »

I'm willing to work on the project. I'm good at English, editing and proofreading; I have hopefully-adequate Japanese, though my translations might bear a second look.
TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

ok, one more. Anyone got any suggestions on how to tl this?
Spoiler! :
夜はいつ日本伝統の『YOBAI』が来ても良いように身構えている。
alethiophile wrote:I'm willing to work on the project. I'm good at English, editing and proofreading; I have hopefully-adequate Japanese, though my translations might bear a second look.
ok, i'm usually never here so i dont mind. just sign up and if u want to do major edits then discuss it with the other editors first.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Hey TheCatWalk, I've done some relatively severe major edits to the prologue and first chapter in terms of smoothing the grammar and sentence structure for English readers, and I haven't been shy about switching words for clearer synonyms and similar changes. I was hoping you'd take a look at it and give a stamp of approval or at least tell me where I should draw the line on such alterations, since once you're done translating chapter 2 I'll get started on doing the same there. At the moment I'm assuming silence equals approval but I don't know if you've actually seen those changes and I don't want you to wake up one day, see what I've been doing, and get an ulcer.

Also, could you clarify the "Kalsariteo Salamandra" term, so I can put in a translation reference? Salamandra is obvious enough, but I can't find "kalsariteo" in the Greek dictionary. Is there kanji for it? And can you clarify the translation for Shichisei Ken'ou? In chapter one, you have "shichisei" as Seven Holy and later Seven Stars, and I've made it "holy" to be consistent with the earlier "Seven Holy Swords Festival" term. I guess I'm asking if "sei" is 聖 or 星, or sometimes one or the other?

There are other confusing points, but these are the most important at the moment. Thanks.
TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

KLSymph wrote:Hey TheCatWalk, I've done some relatively severe major edits to the prologue and first chapter in terms of smoothing the grammar and sentence structure for English readers, and I haven't been shy about switching words for clearer synonyms and similar changes. I was hoping you'd take a look at it and give a stamp of approval or at least tell me where I should draw the line on such alterations, since once you're done translating chapter 2 I'll get started on doing the same there. At the moment I'm assuming silence equals approval but I don't know if you've actually seen those changes and I don't want you to wake up one day, see what I've been doing, and get an ulcer.

Also, could you clarify the "Kalsariteo Salamandra" term, so I can put in a translation reference? Salamandra is obvious enough, but I can't find "kalsariteo" in the Greek dictionary. Is there kanji for it? And can you clarify the translation for Shichisei Ken'ou? In chapter one, you have "shichisei" as Seven Holy and later Seven Stars, and I've made it "holy" to be consistent with the earlier "Seven Holy Swords Festival" term. I guess I'm asking if "sei" is 聖 or 星, or sometimes one or the other?

There are other confusing points, but these are the most important at the moment. Thanks.
I actually dont remember why i tl'ed it Kalsariteo Salamandra....maybe i figured it was pronounced that when i finished reading it months ago.anways, here
Spoiler! :
カルサリテォオ・サラマンドラ
<天壌焼き焦がす竜王の焔>
and as for 七星剣武祭 it's star but...pronounced as shichiseikenbusai or something. well, if you can, you should find a good term for it and put it in place of 'Seven Holy Swords Festival'. (god...i dont even know why i tl'ed it as that.........)

P.S.-as for why i've been quiet..well, i dont actually have a stable net access. i live in a pseudo military styled dormitory where they allow laptops for study but hell no net for the students..i come to the net once a week when i return home on the weekends ands thats..well.....(one more year...and i'll be free :roll: ) well, basically, irl circumstances prevent me from having net access which is annoying. well, edit as you like with the smoothing and grammar misses but dont try to be zero2001. that's all. i put more emphasis on liberal than literal anyways.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

I tried to find a translation for Kalsariteo, but didn't get much, so I opened a discussion on the projects guideline page, and in the meantime I put a translation reference in the chapter (though furigana looks pretty ugly in references...). Hopefully someone with knowledge of Greek will come along.

For shichisei kenbusai, I've gone with the literal meaning and translated it into Seven Stars Sword-Art Festival (the dash is to make sure nobody reads it as "art festival", which I'm guessing is not what it's about). Sword-Art doesn't sound very smooth, but "Swordsmanship" is even more clumsy, "Swordplay" has too light-hearted a connotation, and "Combat" seems too general (but I may be leaning towards "Combat" a little).

You have the final say on the translation. I'm not so stubborn about changes that I drive off translators.
TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

Hey guys. My irl exams (1st semester) starting from the 29th, so i cant do tls for 2 weeks. i'll be offline till the 10th. but i'll try to finish the next chapter in a week after that and sorry.
(cat out for 10-12 days). later~
nahucirujano
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nahucirujano »

TheCatWalk wrote:Hey guys. My irl exams (1st semester) starting from the 29th, so i cant do tls for 2 weeks. i'll be offline till the 10th. but i'll try to finish the next chapter in a week after that and sorry.
(cat out for 10-12 days). later~
Thanks for your hard work.
And the best of lucks ;)
Aldebaran273
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Aldebaran273 »

About Karusariteo Salamandra, I tried to translate 'purgatory salamander' using online translator and the greek is "καθαρτήριο σαλαμάνδρα" (Kathartirio Salamandra). I think it is phonetically close to the katakana. What do you think?
TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

Aldebaran273 wrote:About Karusariteo Salamandra, I tried to translate 'purgatory salamander' using online translator and the greek is "καθαρτήριο σαλαμάνδρα" (Kathartirio Salamandra). I think it is phonetically close to the katakana. What do you think?
Great, lets use it! =3=
afterlifesinner
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by afterlifesinner »

Thank you for taking up this wonder LN. I really want to see this project in the side panel. And thank you for your hard work.

Return to “English”